Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

On L1B and resigning, worth applying for H1B jobs?

On L1B and resigning, worth applying for H1B jobs?

Old Sep 7th 2014, 10:50 am
Just Joined

Jakov is an unknown quantity at this point
Default On L1B and resigning, worth applying for H1B jobs?

Hi All,

I am in the unfortunate position of currently being employed on an L1B visa by a small company which is on the verge of collapse (likely by the end of the year).

I would like to continue living and working in the US, but on the time scales involved it looks like the only feasible way to do this is via a new job with a H1B visa. (Unless I've missed something?)

With my current employer I have a choice: I can either carry on working for a dying company for a few months while I search for more jobs locally (I would mostly apply for big tech companies), or I can get out of my current and rather dismal job quickly, go back home and start looking for work around Europe.

I realise applying for a H1B is always a gamble to some degree, but is it worth pursuing at all? Particularly I want to avoid getting a new job, but having to relocate back to the UK for months while I wait until next year when caps are reset (?), then relocating back to the US again.

Thanks,
Jakov
Old Sep 7th 2014, 10:22 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: On L1B and resigning, worth applying for H1B jobs?

Originally Posted by Jakov View Post
I can either carry on working for a dying company for a few months while I search for more jobs locally (I would mostly apply for big tech companies), or I can get out of my current and rather dismal job quickly, go back home and start looking for work around Europe.
The problem, of course, is getting a US-based company to sponsor you. Getting a job is easy... getting sponsorship is not. Either way, unless you opt for a position with a non-profit (which the big tech companies are not), it's unlikely that you'll be able to get an H-1B position prior to next year anyway... so it seems most likely that you'll need to return to the UK and start over again.

Ian