Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

L1B / L2 travel & leaving passport at embassy?

L1B / L2 travel & leaving passport at embassy?

Old Sep 9th 2014, 7:23 pm
Just Joined

weelass is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy L1B / L2 travel & leaving passport at embassy?

My employer is looking to transfer me to New Orleans under a L1B visa blanket petition. My appointment is booked for my interview next Friday.

I cannot believe how fast this is all happening! I am absolutely terrified about the interview, despite my immigration lawyer seemingly being confident about the process. My husband and I are only recent university graduates (both 25) and my employer is not covering any relocation costs, so not only is it a big move in is a huge financial burden. Every day I wake up and change my mind about going........ although it's getting a bit late now.

My questions

(1) L2 continuation of employment is the UK - I understand there are no travel restrictions on this visa? However my husbands employer would like to retain him as long as possible (which is perfect as he cannot work anyway in the USA until his EAD is issued). Can continue he to work in the UK ( visiting me in the USA once a month - for who knows how long!) or will this cause problems?

I know it sounds a crazy expense but we do not want him to give up his career until we are sure we are (a) happy about the move (b) that he will get a job!

(2) I understand if our visas are approved at the embassy they will retain our passports? How are we supposed to get home? (we are flying there and back from Aberdeen)

Easyjet advised they would accept a drivers license, however my drivers license is still in my maiden name! (we only married in July)

Thanks in advance
Old Sep 9th 2014, 8:22 pm
Forum Regular

Jaag is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: L1B / L2 travel & leaving passport at embassy?

I speak with with no authority, only experience and the fact I've already asked those exact questions on here recently.

Myself and my wife have just gone through this process and arrived in USA about 2 weeks ago.

My wife had to resign from her position in order to join me on her L2 visa. It is illegal to work for a US or UK company during the initial period until the EAD is approved. Unfortunately we couldn't see any other way around it and we both worked for the same US company for 13 years, our attorney advised she would need to resign her UK position and re-apply for a new job in US once the EAD comes through.

The embassy visit turned out to be straight forward if you have everything in order, I've been with the company for 13 years and married for 10 years, so hardly warranted any questions from them, it just took a long time. Yes, they keep your passports and paperwork and send them back via DX or courier. We actually had them back in our hands less than 72 hours after our interview at the Embassy.

It is possible to fly on internal UK flights (excluding NI I think) on a drivers licence, although it is up to the carrier, I've done it on EasyJet many times. If it's in your maiden name, booking the flight in your maiden name might be an option and use your drivers licence as ID both ways. Can't comment on the legality, but can't imagine it would be a problem. You'll be carrying your marriage certificate for the interview anyway if further proof was required.

Once out here, get a cheap phone immediately, every form wants a phone number, I waited 5 days to get my SSN at the local office, the card came through the post a few days later. The EAD was filled out before getting SSN, it has been acknowledged as successfully submitted, but awaiting the approval notice, which could take many weeks, but given the speed of every other process, it could be quicker.

Good luck - it's incredibly stressful and expensive, but also rewarding and exciting.
Old Sep 9th 2014, 8:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by weelass
and my employer is not covering any relocation costs, so not only is it a big move in is a huge financial burden.
yikes! Bit of a red flag in my opinion.
Old Sep 9th 2014, 9:18 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Weelass, your husband can continue to work in the UK, yes. He can visit you in the USA. Keep in mind he will need to apply for the EAD from inside the USA, and will have to go to a biometrics (fingerprint) appointment several weeks later, in the USA. He cannot do any work for the UK company while he's physically in the USA, until he gets his EAD in hand.

Rene
Old Sep 10th 2014, 12:07 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

... my employer is not covering any relocation costs...
With respect - this, by itself, is a good reason not to continue this journey. As already mentioned, it's a huge red flag!

Ian
Old Sep 10th 2014, 3:41 am
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

My employer is looking to transfer me to New Orleans under a L1B visa blanket petition. My appointment is booked for my interview next Friday.

I cannot believe how fast this is all happening! I am absolutely terrified about the interview, despite my immigration lawyer seemingly being confident about the process. My husband and I are only recent university graduates (both 25) and my employer is not covering any relocation costs, so not only is it a big move in is a huge financial burden. Every day I wake up and change my mind about going........ although it's getting a bit late now.

My questions

(1) L2 continuation of employment is the UK - I understand there are no travel restrictions on this visa? However my husbands employer would like to retain him as long as possible (which is perfect as he cannot work anyway in the USA until his EAD is issued). Can continue he to work in the UK ( visiting me in the USA once a month - for who knows how long!) or will this cause problems?

I know it sounds a crazy expense but we do not want him to give up his career until we are sure we are (a) happy about the move (b) that he will get a job!

(2) I understand if our visas are approved at the embassy they will retain our passports? How are we supposed to get home? (we are flying there and back from Aberdeen)

Easyjet advised they would accept a drivers license, however my drivers license is still in my maiden name! (we only married in July)

Thanks in advance
as others have noted there are other issues, but the passport one can be easily solved, it is possible to get a second UK passport for a number of reasons, I did exactly that in case I needed to travel while the London embassy had mine. I went to the Vitoria passport office and got a second passport the same day. As it turned out I had to make a last minute trip down to NZ, so having the second passport was invaluable.
Old Sep 10th 2014, 10:34 am
Hoppity hop...

BunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond repute

my employer is not covering any relocation costs
Wow. That's really not good. Any repatriation costs? Flights back to the UK? Tax assistance?
Old Sep 10th 2014, 1:09 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BunnyGirl
Wow. That's really not good. Any repatriation costs? Flights back to the UK? Tax assistance?
... and, perhaps most importantly, health care insurance assistance? It sounds to me as though the company wants all the benefits of this move but none of the responsibilities. What's worse - it sounds as though weelass is a willing participant and wants to be a doormat for the company. Not good... not good at all.

Ian
Old Sep 11th 2014, 2:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Owen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed. Moving 5000 miles without your company paying relocation costs, and the other things listed, is pretty risky.
Old Sep 11th 2014, 3:10 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

I assume they are at least paying for your flights?

I moved to NZ back in 2003 and did it on my own so clearly no one paid. When I moved to the US I did not really get a package. They paid for my flight, and I was employed so I got healthcare and all the usual benefits but did not really need much else, I brought what I needed with me on the plane. I knew i would be traveling back at least 1x a month so I did not see the need to negotiate flights for "home" visits etc. I don't recall if i negotiated repatriation (I don't think I did), but that and tax assistance are probably 2 things I would ask for now with more experience.

While I agree with others on some level, if they are 25, have no kids and not a lot of stuff, assuming they get the right benefits I see it as less of a big deal, if living in the US is something they want to do, and someone is willing to get them a visa that's the hardest part.
Old Sep 11th 2014, 6:19 pm
Just Joined

weelass is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everyone.

After speaking to easyjet again the call centre employee recommended I just change the name on both flights to my maiden name in order to fly on my drivers license each way. Sounds so obvious after it was suggested!

The only aspect they are covering is my health insurance, otherwise I definitely could not afford to go. While I echo all the sentiments on here and have felt them all equally unfortunately my employer are very aware of how much I want the move. Yes this leaves me at a financial disadvantage but I feel that not taking the opportunity now will leave me with huge regrets in the future.

Realistically however unless my husband continues his (much more lucrative) employment in the UK we would not be able to afford the move - at least until his EAD is issued.
Old Sep 11th 2014, 7:33 pm
Account Closed

After speaking to easyjet again the call centre employee recommended I just change the name on both flights to my maiden name in order to fly on my drivers license each way.
Umm... you must have a passport to enter the US. Full stop. End of story. Further, your airline ticket must match the name in your passport or you won't be allowed to enter the US. Again, full stop. End of story. I honestly don't know how your driver's license enters the equation.

Yes this leaves me at a financial disadvantage but I feel that not taking the opportunity now will leave me with huge regrets in the future.
Is your employer, at least, willing to sponsor you for a green card? If not, then a few years down the road when you have made a new life for yourself in the US, you will be forced to return and leave it all behind. If you happen to have children by then, it'll be even worse!

Realistically however unless my husband continues his (much more lucrative) employment in the UK we would not be able to afford the move - at least until his EAD is issued.
Just to clarify, he can't get an EAD until after he is in the US... he can't get it before you move.

Ian
Old Sep 11th 2014, 7:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Owen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Umm... you must have a passport to enter the US. Full stop. End of story. Further, your airline ticket must match the name in your passport or you won't be allowed to enter the US. Again, full stop. End of story. I honestly don't know how your driver's license enters the equation.
Re-read the first post Ian. She is talking about flying from London (the consulate) to Aberdeen (her current home).
Old Sep 11th 2014, 11:05 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Owen778
Re-read the first post Ian. She is talking about flying from London (the consulate) to Aberdeen (her current home).
Oh my! I totally screwed that one up, didn't I? Holy crow... my bad! I'll just go crawl back into the corner and curl up into a ball. !!

Ian
Old Sep 12th 2014, 12:55 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Oh my! I totally screwed that one up, didn't I? Holy crow... my bad! I'll just go crawl back into the corner and curl up into a ball. !!

Ian
Too late in the day to blame it on lack of coffee!

Rene

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.