Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

L1B to Green Card - experience shared

L1B to Green Card - experience shared

Old Mar 9th 2013, 1:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

HarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond repute
Default L1B to Green Card - experience shared

Intent of this post is To help allay fears / generate good questions for other applicants to ask, etc.

We came to US on L1B with our employer, who can do a blanket filing (which can speed things up a bit). The L1 process was quick, only slowed down by my need to have a passport nearly every week for business travel. We applied and got the L1 in Sep 2010 ('we' = me & wife, no kids, 3 dogs).

My company started the process for applying for our Green Cards in late 2011, I think in October time frame.

It took until Oct 2012 to complete the various elements - especially demonstrating there was no IS Citizen available to do my job - by advertising my job for a number of months (3?) and interviewing any applicants etc etc.

Most of the delays were down to me getting some business travel out of the way before filing and waiting for Advanced Parole approval etc.

Anyway, our lawyers filed just before Xmas 2012, and we got an official receipt date of 31 Dec 2012. Processing was being done at the Nebraska processing Center.

We received our Green Cards last Friday, 1 March 2013. The associated EADs arrived yesterday (8 March).

Clearly our lawyers do this often - they took care of everything other than what we specifically needed to provide (info) or sign.

We are both natural born Brits, born in UK, no criminal records, etc etc - not sure if that is relevant to the complexity or speed of the processing done... Not sure of my employer being an established blanket L1 status company is a factor, and does GC applications fairly regularly is a factor either.

For us it was painless and quick.

This might be useful too - the BE Wiki entry on permanent residence - http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Lawful_Permanent_Resident

Having read it, I see we should apply for unrestricted Social Security Cards now...

Happy to address specific Qs based on our own experiences. We're not legally competent, so don't consider anything here as advice...

Last edited by HarryTheSpider; Mar 9th 2013 at 2:14 pm.
Old Mar 9th 2013, 3:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Apfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: L1B to Green Card - experience shared

Originally Posted by HarryTheSpider
We received our Green Cards last Friday, 1 March 2013. The associated EADs arrived yesterday (8 March).
Hi Harry. Just curious: why do you need EADs as permanent residents?
Old Mar 9th 2013, 4:22 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HarryTheSpider
Having read it, I see we should apply for unrestricted Social Security Cards now...
You should get an unrestricted Social Security card. Same goes for your wife, if she has a restricted Social Security card. If she has no Social Security number, she needs to apply for one. If you had children, the same would apply to them.

You may also want to consider updating your driving licenses sooner rather than later, and get your status as permanent residents updated with the Bureau of Motor Vehicles in your state.
Old Mar 9th 2013, 5:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond repute

That's really strange, getting the EAD after your actual GC's, as you don't need the EAD's after becoming Permanent Residents. Is this because a different Centre were dealing with the I-765?? Just curious Congratulations btw, on your permanent residency, that's great news
Old Mar 9th 2013, 6:46 pm
Forum Regular

bilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to behold

L1B to EB1?

(cause we came here on an L1B in Sept 2005 and still waiting, although we have just become current)...
Old Mar 9th 2013, 8:54 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bilbos92
L1B to EB1?

(cause we came here on an L1B in Sept 2005 and still waiting, although we have just become current)...
Presume you are third preference (EB-3).
Many L1-B holders qualify for second preference (EB-2), which is much quicker. Some L1-B can also get first preference (there's a myth that you have to have L1-A to qualify as EB-1, it's not true).
Old Mar 9th 2013, 9:09 pm
Forum Regular

bilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to behold

Yep....EB3..

I'd forgotton about EB2 being a possibility for L1B...

Being current since the febuary visa bulletin and still waiting is sending my brain to mush with envy.....
Old Mar 10th 2013, 12:24 pm
Forum Regular

tailz is an unknown quantity at this point

That's a really quick turnaround, we are looking at moving out to Kansas in October on an L1-A, I was told that a GC would take 6-7 years from application.
Old Mar 11th 2013, 2:50 am
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by tailz
That's a really quick turnaround, we are looking at moving out to Kansas in October on an L1-A, I was told that a GC would take 6-7 years from application.
Most L1-A holders qualify for first preference green card, which normally takes months rather than years.

So it's not clear where your information comes from.

Incidentally - if you started the process now, you could possibly have Immigrant Visas in hand by October and avoid the L1-A entirely.
Old Mar 11th 2013, 6:49 am
Forum Regular

My employer is using an immigration lawyer at a company called Fragomen, the lawyer there told me to expect a 6-7 year wait due to the limited number of visa's and a huge backlog. I don't hold a degree of any kind which I believe also slows down the process, I have 22 years experience in my current profession.

Not starting the application now as I don't know the cost implications between L1-a/L2 and GC and whether my family would be happy with a perm move yet.
Old Mar 12th 2013, 2:52 am
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by tailz
My employer is using an immigration lawyer at a company called Fragomen, the lawyer there told me to expect a 6-7 year wait due to the limited number of visa's and a huge backlog. I don't hold a degree of any kind which I believe also slows down the process, I have 22 years experience in my current profession.

Not starting the application now as I don't know the cost implications between L1-a/L2 and GC and whether my family would be happy with a perm move yet.
If serious about a move to the U.S., perhaps you should hire your own attorney for a second opinion. I hate to contradict what you have been told, but perhaps something has been lost in the communication.

As far as I am aware, an L1-A applicant does not have to meet a specific education requirement (although most have some post-secondary education it's not mandatory).

And most L1-A holders qualify for first preference green card, and there is absolutely no 6-7 year wait. There is a wait for third preference category, completely different.

HOWEVER, you need to understand that both an L1-A visa, and a first preference green card, require you to have sponsorship from your employer and meet the other requirements laid down by the U.S.
Old Mar 12th 2013, 7:05 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JAJ
If serious about a move to the U.S., perhaps you should hire your own attorney for a second opinion. I hate to contradict what you have been told, but perhaps something has been lost in the communication.

As far as I am aware, an L1-A applicant does not have to meet a specific education requirement (although most have some post-secondary education it's not mandatory).

And most L1-A holders qualify for first preference green card, and there is absolutely no 6-7 year wait. There is a wait for third preference category, completely different.

HOWEVER, you need to understand that both an L1-A visa, and a first preference green card, require you to have sponsorship from your employer and meet the other requirements laid down by the U.S.
Hi JAJ,

Thanks for the advice, I am conscious of the fact that I am hijacking someone else's thread so for now I will leave it at this point. My family and I are heading off to Kansas in April for a look around and to meet with the head of our USA division so I will discuss this with him further at that time. Once back I will start my own thread for further advice.

Cheers

Tony
Old Mar 13th 2013, 12:30 am
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats, HarryS and Mrs Spider!

Incidentally, I was in the Social Security office in N Phoenix today, applying for the kids' social security cards (they got their GCs last month, and now we want SSNs for them to do tax returns). They didn't say anything to me there about having to unrestrict mine in anyway, and definitely pulled up my record to verify for the kids' cards (there was some kafuffle about my married versus my maiden name being tagged to my SSN). And I haven't got anything about restrictions printed on the card itself.

Perhaps it's just for people who didn't already have the right to work, such as H4 spouses? (I was an L2 spouse, so was already in a 'can work' category.)
Old Mar 16th 2013, 3:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

HarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Apfelkuchen
Hi Harry. Just curious: why do you need EADs as permanent residents?
As far as I know, we don't - the EADs are good until sometime next year. I guess the EAD and AP covered the potential period of time needed to complete the GC process... but the GC process proceeded rather quickly!
Old Mar 16th 2013, 3:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by kodokan
Congrats, HarryS and Mrs Spider!

Incidentally, I was in the Social Security office in N Phoenix today, applying for the kids' social security cards (they got their GCs last month, and now we want SSNs for them to do tax returns). They didn't say anything to me there about having to unrestrict mine in anyway, and definitely pulled up my record to verify for the kids' cards (there was some kafuffle about my married versus my maiden name being tagged to my SSN). And I haven't got anything about restrictions printed on the card itself.

Perhaps it's just for people who didn't already have the right to work, such as H4 spouses? (I was an L2 spouse, so was already in a 'can work' category.)
Cheers

And good point - I haven't looked, and Mrs HTS was L2 'able to work' and unrestricted anyway... I think it might just be me who needs a new SSN card.

So we'll sort that out pronto, and do the DMV update too.

Cheers

Harold, of the Clan Spider

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.