L1B extension advice

Old Jun 19th 2020, 8:01 pm
Forum Regular

capin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default L1B extension advice

Hi All,

I've been living in the USA for almost 5 years. I came here on an L1B in 2015, renewed in 2018 at the embassy in Bangkok and I think my company's lawyers have renewed my L1 again to recapture time spent out side the USA.

I married my wife in July 2019 and she moved here on L2 in September 2019. Our I94s expired in mid May but our I485s were filed for both of us back in February and we have EAD combo card. Our green cards have got as far as we have responded to an RFIE for i693.

My wife and I have USA visas in our passports with almost exactly the same details (wife has blanket L2 written in hers).

Expiry May 2023
PED May 2020
Blanket L1

I got an I797A approval notice for my (I129) L1 renewal with what looks like an I94 tear off portion at the bottom for me which is valid until April 2021 but I do not have one for my wife. I think I can use this to renew her visa using a DS160 at a consulate outside the USA if we wanted to.

I should mention that there has also been an L2 EAD filed for my wife which is sitting with USCIS in "received" status.

I think the idea of extending the L1 was a belt and braces measure in case there was an issue with the GC. With processing times going up, Does anyone know if there is any benefit in getting my wife a new L2 and I94 please or shall we just stay on AOS? The only trip we have planned is 3 weeks in northern Thailand around Thanksgiving and who knows if that going to happen.

Thanks,