L1A Visa's Approved!

Old May 13th 2019, 1:12 pm
Forum Regular

MrBBQ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default L1A Visa's Approved!

Hi All,

First, just to start, I want to thank this forum and all of it's contributors for the help and assistance the wife (Mostly the wife - @Tanja87) and I have received during our application for L1A and L2 visas. In moments of desperation and some slow responses from our lawyers, you guys have provided us with so much info. Although I don't post much I search this forum whenever anything comes up to keep us going. Thanks to you all.

So, in the interest of paying back, here's our journey to L1A and a question:

Feb 2018 - Offered role for the current company based out of London. New role in new business. Took role with the option of transferring to Boston on L1A in 2019 where main team is based.
April 3rd 2018 - Started at company
December 2018 - Offered new exec role in NYC
January 1st 2019 - started new exec role, running out of London until the 1 year outside of the US working in an managerial role for the company was achieved. (REMEMBER TO SUBTRACT ANY DAYS SPENT IN THE USA FROM THE 1 YEAR REQUIREMENT)
March 1st 2019 - External immigration lawyers start the process of gathering info (Covering letters from UK and US business, passport scans, kids birth certificates, marriage certificate, org charts for old and new role, updated CV in specific format, digital US passport pics)
April 8th 2019 - Start filling DS-160 forms. One for each person, including the kids & wife. L1 blanket petition for me and L2 for the kids and wife.
April 24th 2019 - Review DS-160s with lawyers and submit to be able to book appointment. (PRINT APPLICATION WHEN SUBMITTED, YOU CAN'T GO BACK AND DO THIS, YOU CAN ONLY RE-PRINT THE DS-160 CONFIRMATION)
April 25th 2019 - Book appointment at London US Embassy for March 13th 2019 at 8:30am. Make sure all information matches the full DS-160 application whilst doing this.
May 13th 2019 - Interview appointment at embassy, Booked 8:30am. Process below:
  • Arrived at 7:00am for 8:30am appointment with wife and 2 young kids. Really didn't want to be late and ended up being MEGA early. DS-160 confirmation pages and passports asked for outside the building whilst queuing.
  • DS-160 confirmation pages were signed ready to enter the building.
  • Asked to join queue to enter the building at 8am. Went to Waitrose down the street before this to gather snacks and drinks. Drinks must be new, sealed drinks on entry.
  • Went through security without any problems. It's like airport security, Take off belts, watches, etc.
  • Over to the entrance hall reception. Given an N number and sent to the first floor
  • Waited in first floor waiting area with the kids for an hour awaiting first call. (Kids can have ipads but no laptops can be bought in) there were 150 of us roughly.
  • Called to desk at around 9:30am. She processed and checked our information carefully, took 2 of the 3 I129S forms for processing, took finger prints and then gave me a clear folder with everything needed and asked me to attend the cashier to pay $500. This took 15 mins.
  • Went to the cashier and paid on Debit Card. You can pay with credit, debit or cash, dollars or pounds. Got a receipt from him and asked to wait. This took 5 mins.
  • Sat down and got called to the booth immediately for the interview.
  • Waited a few minutes for the person in front to finish and got called up (All of us went to the window, including the kids), here are the questions I was asked:
    • Which company are you working for?
    • What is your role now?
    • What is your role in the USA?
    • Describe your role.
    • What kind of decisions can you make?
    • Who do you report to?
  • At this point it had been 3 minutes and she asked me to take a yellow slip to the cashier and pay for my kids processing of $105 each. The wife didn't need to pay, she's German and Germany has reciprocating agreements, the UK doesn't....go figure!
  • Paid and returned to the window. She checked the receipts and said the magical words you've been dreaming about for weeks, "Your visas are approved. You'll be emailed when your passports ready to be picked up."
All in all a very painless experience. It's like a production line and all the worry and concern was needless but shows you care I guess.

Just emailed the lawyers to ask about the I129S. We didn't get given a stamped one today, which was what we were expecting but I am told this will be in the package with the passports. Can anyone confirm this?

Please ask if you have any questions, I'd be happy to assist with any questions you may have.

Cheers,
MrBBQ

Last edited by MrBBQ; May 13th 2019 at 1:24 pm.
Old May 13th 2019, 2:40 pm
Forum Regular

Millski is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: L1A Visa's Approved!

Congratulations! Thanks for such a detailed account of your experience.
Old May 13th 2019, 3:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

GeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrBBQ
Just emailed the lawyers to ask about the I129S. We didn't get given a stamped one today, which was what we were expecting but I am told this will be in the package with the passports. Can anyone confirm this?
This was the case with my wife's L-1A, applied for in London.

With my L-1B, applied for in Belfast, I was given the I-129s (it was signed, not "stamped") when I left the interview.
Old May 13th 2019, 3:33 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats!
Old May 13th 2019, 11:00 pm
Forum Regular

Tino is an unknown quantity at this point

I had interview last week for individual L1A and the officer said visas were approved, although status online is now showing Admin Processing.

However I wasn't asked to pay anything on the day. I paid when submitting the DS160. Did you also pay at DS160 submission?

​​​
Old May 14th 2019, 6:30 am
Forum Regular

What office was your interview in?

administrative processing can be normal for up to 5 working days, if it gets past that I would query the consulate and ask for an update. Do you have a lawyer?

I had to pay 500 bucks for processing because I’m under the blanket petition.

We’re hoping to have our passports back late this week but it’s entirely down to waiting until our case is updated to say issued and picking them up.

Good luck!!
Old May 14th 2019, 6:56 am
Forum Regular

Tino is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MrBBQ
What office was your interview in?

administrative processing can be normal for up to 5 working days, if it gets past that I would query the consulate and ask for an update. Do you have a lawyer?

I had to pay 500 bucks for processing because I’m under the blanket petition.

We’re hoping to have our passports back late this week but it’s entirely down to waiting until our case is updated to say issued and picking them up.

Good luck!!
Ah I see, phew.

Was in London on 8th and went into AP on 10th. The officer said it would take about a week, so fingers crossed it's just the normal processing.

The company lawyer said it was expected but always good to hear direct from others! Was also hoping to get back this week to be able to travel to US on Sunday on the visas for a conference.
Old May 14th 2019, 6:55 pm
Forum Regular

Update.

Our case status has changed to issued. Hoping that they'll be available for pick up on Thursday.
Old May 16th 2019, 8:11 pm
Forum Regular

We picked up our passports with visas and I129S documents x 2 stamped and signed today!

Just in time for our house search on Sunday. 😎
Old Jul 2nd 2019, 12:32 pm
Just Joined

brian3kb is an unknown quantity at this point

[removed]

Last edited by brian3kb; Jul 2nd 2019 at 12:33 pm. Reason: posted in wrong thread :/
Old Nov 26th 2019, 10:31 am
Just Joined

kims17 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi MrBBQ, first of all, congrats!
Just to confirm, your case status was changed to issued in a day (based on my calculation using the timestamp of the post)? I have a slightly tight timeline and I am trying to figure out people's timeline on this forum regarding the issue of the visa post interview. I am also applying for L1A blanket visa.
Old Nov 26th 2019, 10:41 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by kims17
Hi MrBBQ, first of all, congrats!
Just to confirm, your case status was changed to issued in a day (based on my calculation using the timestamp of the post)? I have a slightly tight timeline and I am trying to figure out people's timeline on this forum regarding the issue of the visa post interview. I am also applying for L1A blanket visa.
Thanks! We’ve been in the US for 6 months now...must update on our experience since the visa approval.

the short answer is Yes, it took a day for it to update and a further 2 days to change to delivered and ready for pickup.

Some key info:

What consulate are you using?
What nationality are you?
Were you asked to pay the processing fee on the day?

This will help determine what your processing experience will look like.

Cheers,
MrBBQ
Old Nov 26th 2019, 10:44 am
Just Joined

kims17 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the reply. It must be early there!

I am using the London consulate and I am a Korean.
I have yet to schedule the interview, but I'm currently discussing start date with my employer in the States which is why I am gathering some info on this.

Cheers.
Old Nov 26th 2019, 10:52 am
Forum Regular

I am using the London consulate and I am a Korean.
I have yet to schedule the interview, but I'm currently discussing start date with my employer in the States which is why I am gathering some info on this.

Cheers.
Ok, makes sense.

If they take your 500 bucks for processing under a blanket visa on the day and then tell you’ve been approved, it can take 5 days for admin processing to change. But the fact you’ve paid and the they’ve told you, it all should be just the standard waiting time and dependant on how busy the consulate with processing visa pages, etc.

One thing to watch out for is the amount of time left on your existing passport (must have at least 6 months and will only have a visa issued for the maximum amount of time until your passport expires up to 3 years) and the state of it. I’ve had a friend who’s visa was delayed because the consulate felt that his passport wasn’t in good enough shape to stick the visa page into it. He had to get a new passport pretty quick and couldn’t enter the US until this was done.

We just renewed all of our passports before we started the process.
Old Nov 26th 2019, 10:54 am
Forum Regular

Just got back from a business trip to Blighty, damn jet lag!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.