L1A to permanent resident?

Old Aug 19th 2016, 5:37 pm
Forum Regular

deadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: L1A to permanent resident?

Originally Posted by nudda
thats pretty remarkable. Which industry is your company in, if you dont mind me askinh ?
Biopharmaceuticals/Bioinformatics.

About 75% of the sponsored are scientists/researchers with the rest in the informatics side.
Old Aug 19th 2016, 10:59 pm
Forum Regular

dbr84 is an unknown quantity at this point

This is my issue, the company I work at is changing rapidly and even if they agreed in principal to sponsor my GC, there's a chance they could change direction and scrap me. I'd rather have an option that would give me some long-term security if possible.

But it sounds like I can't apply on my own easily and that an employment-sponsored upgrade to GC is the most likely shot. All I can do is ask I guess :-)
Old Aug 19th 2016, 11:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

By the looks of it you arrived in the US in June 2016, so I would give it a little more time if I was you to get your feet under the table so to speak and to let your company know what a great asset you are!

My company would not start the application process for at least 6 months after one arrived.
Old Aug 19th 2016, 11:15 pm
Forum Regular

dbr84 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah, absolutely. I'm just thinking in advance really - I am really grateful and happy to be here and am doing my best at work to do just that. So far so good
Old Aug 20th 2016, 3:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Awesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Get your Green Card. Loads of people have done this.

I did it myself from an L1A.
I'm not sure I understand this (particularly in relation to your subsequent posts in this thread where you mention "written into contracts" etc).

Did you independently sponsor your own Green Card petition? If so, how? (assuming you are not both the sponsor and the beneficiary - i.e. the owner of the company).
Old Aug 20th 2016, 6:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Awesome Welles
I'm not sure I understand this (particularly in relation to your subsequent posts in this thread where you mention "written into contracts" etc).

Did you independently sponsor your own Green Card petition? If so, how? (assuming you are not both the sponsor and the beneficiary - i.e. the owner of the company).
Sorry, should be more explicit. I moved to the US on an L1A (company sponsored); I obtained my Green Card (company sponsored).

The Green card option was included in my moving contract - I was not prepared to move on the basis that it was a temporary move. The company agreed that if the move 'panned out' they would be willing to sponsor me for the Green card.
Old Aug 20th 2016, 7:58 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

the visa is also only renewable a certain amount of time. the green card means you can remain beyond that. Also the general rule of thumb is to not buy a house whilst on a green card (not gospel but many people dont want to be saddled with a house and have a visa issue). So a green card can allow the employee to put down more roots etc - so happy employee. another argument to use with the company.
Old Aug 20th 2016, 8:02 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, should be more explicit. I moved to the US on an L1A (company sponsored); I obtained my Green Card (company sponsored).

The Green card option was included in my moving contract - I was not prepared to move on the basis that it was a temporary move. The company agreed that if the move 'panned out' they would be willing to sponsor me for the Green card.
We had it written into our contract too but due to the ages of the kids we requested that it be done asap. OH had worked for the company for 19 years at this point so it was an easy decision for them
Old Aug 20th 2016, 8:16 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
We had it written into our contract too but due to the ages of the kids we requested that it be done asap. OH had worked for the company for 19 years at this point so it was an easy decision for them.
That has to be the biggest, though oft-unmentioned factor. If you're a senior, long term employee when you move over, you're in a strong position to get what you ask for, and better positioned to know what you should be asking for, but if you're in a more junior position, without a long career history with the company, and generally "less indispensable", you've got a lot less leverage to push for a green card.
Old Aug 21st 2016, 1:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

nudda is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds like your company wanted to initially move you, rather than you wanting to move to the US yourself ...
When you ask to be moved, I've found there is 0 bargaining power in anything (salary, package, and most important, GC in contract )