L1A for lawyer in law firm

Old Jun 8th 2019, 7:18 pm
Just Joined

jayson88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question L1A for lawyer in law firm

I work for a NY based LLP law firm in London. I have been offered the chance to move the New York. In the past, my firm has only applied for L1B visas but I would like to move on the L1A visa. I have only worked for 2 years at my firm and earn approximately $200,000 per year. How can I justify my L1A visa? I understand that the visa officer will be interested in whether I have hire and fire power, reporters, etc. In an LLP, no individual has hire and fire power. It is determined by partnership agreement. Also, I do not have constant reportees. I supervise employees but they are fluid and change depending on the deal that I am working on.

I was born in India, so it is important for me for move on the L1A so that at least have a chance to apply in the EB1 category for my green card.

Old Jun 8th 2019, 8:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: L1A for lawyer in law firm

Originally Posted by jayson88
I work for a NY based LLP law firm in London. I have been offered the chance to move the New York. In the past, my firm has only applied for L1B visas but I would like to move on the L1A visa. I have only worked for 2 years at my firm and earn approximately $200,000 per year. How can I justify my L1A visa? I understand that the visa officer will be interested in whether I have hire and fire power, reporters, etc. In an LLP, no individual has hire and fire power. It is determined by partnership agreement. Also, I do not have constant reportees. I supervise employees but they are fluid and change depending on the deal that I am working on.

I was born in India, so it is important for me for move on the L1A so that at least have a chance to apply in the EB1 category for my green card.
Presuming that you have company lawyers drawing up your application, these are the people you have to convince first; as they have to present your ability to justify either an L1B or L1A.

I transferred on an L1A and had no reportees (certainly no hire and fire ability) but I was a functional manager having full responsibility and decision making for a specific company function, in addition to overseeing and decision making for an engineering team. I also had 12 years of experience with my company. The lawyers provided the justification for my application.
Old Jun 8th 2019, 8:36 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

With every iota of due respect, it is pretty amusing to see an attorney asking laymen on an Internet forum for what is basically legal advice! Surely you can pull in a favor from a colleague in the immigration field.
Old Jun 8th 2019, 10:42 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

it is pretty amusing to see an attorney asking laymen on an Internet forum for what is basically legal advice!
I was thinking the same thing (and chuckling to myself) while reading the OP.
Old Jun 8th 2019, 11:07 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

How long have you practiced, are you a “Partner” of the Firm with a profit share or are you an employee? based on your salary it seems like you are only a 2nd or 3rd year. Read the criteria on the USCIS site, you don’t have to manage people, a real Partner at a law firm should qualify. Maybe the reason they have only sent others on L1b Before is that they have not sent anyone who would qualify for an L1a.

https://www.uscis.gov/working-united...ive-or-manager

Last edited by tht; Jun 8th 2019 at 11:26 pm.
Old Jun 14th 2019, 2:56 pm
Just Joined

guyintheus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tht
based on your salary it seems like you are only a 2nd or 3rd year.
Ha! Depends what kind of firm he is at!
Old Jun 14th 2019, 5:31 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by guyintheus
Ha! Depends what kind of firm he is at!
Well the OP has already said it’s the UK sub of a NY based LLP, we can probably assume he is not just writing wills, the fact they are looking to move him probably means some sort of international business / finance / bankruptcy etc practice. I have friends who were “summers” at white shoe firms before sitting the NY bar and their comp annualized would have been close to that, and 1st year comp would not have been to far of that.