Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

L1A Interview - faster via London or Belfast?

L1A Interview - faster via London or Belfast?

Old May 16th 2008, 1:09 pm
Texas Pete

pwhite8314 is just really nicepwhite8314 is just really nicepwhite8314 is just really nicepwhite8314 is just really nicepwhite8314 is just really nicepwhite8314 is just really nicepwhite8314 is just really nicepwhite8314 is just really nice
Default L1A Interview - faster via London or Belfast?

Title says it all really; I just learnt from this forum that I can book the i/v ahead of my ever-speedy attorneys actually submitting the visa package for approval, so as I'm in quite a hurry, would like to get an i/v ASAP. It looks as if London is booking into mid-June now, anyone have any ideas on Belfast?

And/or, can I just ring up both of the embassies to find out how long, or do they not like that?

Thanks all...
Old May 16th 2008, 1:25 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: L1A Interview - faster via London or Belfast?

dont think there is an issue with just ringing. one other to try if belfast doesnt pan out is Brussels - thats been mentioned on here a few times too.
Old May 16th 2008, 1:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Awesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think you can do this outside of UK - unless it's a renewal.
When I called the embassy (which cost 16 quid, the theiving gits) they asked me if I wanted London or Belfast. I asked for the latter. It was quicker, cheaper and a damn sight more civilized than London.
Old May 16th 2008, 2:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Socal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond repute

In the UK there is a premium rate number to call, which unless you are going to be on the line for a while works out cheaper than the $16 you get charged if calling from the US.

I used this website before to get a rough idea of wait times at the different embassies, although I am not sure how accurate it is if it is showing London as 15 days, whereas you are hearing mid June:

http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/wa...itors_wait.php
Old May 16th 2008, 3:16 pm
Texas Pete

pwhite8314 is just really nicepwhite8314 is just really nicepwhite8314 is just really nicepwhite8314 is just really nicepwhite8314 is just really nicepwhite8314 is just really nicepwhite8314 is just really nicepwhite8314 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Socal Local
In the UK there is a premium rate number to call, which unless you are going to be on the line for a while works out cheaper than the $16 you get charged if calling from the US.

I used this website before to get a rough idea of wait times at the different embassies, although I am not sure how accurate it is if it is showing London as 15 days, whereas you are hearing mid June:

http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/wa...itors_wait.php
Thanks for the link, that's handy. I got the 'mid-June' from other posts, but that was for a family of 4, so maybe the 15 days showing on the link applies to single applicants. Either way, Belfast is looking more attractive.
Old May 16th 2008, 3:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

emailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really nice

Originally Posted by pwhite8314
Thanks for the link, that's handy. I got the 'mid-June' from other posts, but that was for a family of 4, so maybe the 15 days showing on the link applies to single applicants. Either way, Belfast is looking more attractive.
Family of 4 also here. It took about 30 calendar days for first appointment in London. So was more like 20 working days that 15
Old May 16th 2008, 4:02 pm
Just Joined

mrcarrot is on a distinguished road

I called up today and got an appointment on the 1st July - 1.5 months away.

Called up Brussels, I find that its only 3 days wait. Will have to ask the company to pay the 130$ fee twice and book the eurostar I think...

mr C
Old May 16th 2008, 4:18 pm
Texas Pete

Originally Posted by mrcarrot
I called up today and got an appointment on the 1st July - 1.5 months away.

Called up Brussels, I find that its only 3 days wait. Will have to ask the company to pay the 130$ fee twice and book the eurostar I think...

mr C
but that's jsut for a renewal right, not for a new visa?
Old May 16th 2008, 4:28 pm
Forum Regular

GetYourBritsOut will become famous soon enoughGetYourBritsOut will become famous soon enough

When we booked ours last year, London was a six week wait, Belfast was the next week. If you go to Belfast, remember to take your photo driving license for your return flight as you won't have your passports. We also left our son at home as we had no other ID for him for the return flight, so we got a lovely night away too

BTW, our passports were actually on the same flight home as us the next day.
Old May 16th 2008, 4:36 pm
Just Joined

but that's jsut for a renewal right, not for a new visa?
That was for a new L1 visa (via a blanket I-797).

Cheers,

mr C
Old May 16th 2008, 5:48 pm
Texas Pete

Originally Posted by mrcarrot
That was for a new L1 visa (via a blanket I-797).

Cheers,

mr C
Hmmm....well mine's an L1A, but no blanket...I've no problem getting to Belfast, though right now I'm still waiting on the attorney to return my call/email. I really dont want to be caught in the UK until July some time.
Old May 16th 2008, 7:23 pm
Just Joined

Hmmm....well mine's an L1A, but no blanket...I've no problem getting to Belfast, though right now I'm still waiting on the attorney to return my call/email. I really dont want to be caught in the UK until July some time.
I'm actually looking at the same trip now myself - brussels requires a passport to exit the country so I'd have to stay there for a few days.

mr C
Old May 16th 2008, 7:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GetYourBritsOut
When we booked ours last year, London was a six week wait, Belfast was the next week. If you go to Belfast, remember to take your photo driving license for your return flight as you won't have your passports. We also left our son at home as we had no other ID for him for the return flight, so we got a lovely night away too

BTW, our passports were actually on the same flight home as us the next day.
You're not supposed to take your kids anyway!
Old May 17th 2008, 1:05 pm
Nigel, Vanessa & Pets

manic-miner has a brilliant futuremanic-miner has a brilliant futuremanic-miner has a brilliant futuremanic-miner has a brilliant futuremanic-miner has a brilliant futuremanic-miner has a brilliant future

We have just returned from our trip to Brussels to get our visas. Would definitely recommend it if you can spare a couple of days.

I have detailed our experience in my other post http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...71#post6362571
Old May 17th 2008, 8:54 pm
Just Joined

macattack is an unknown quantity at this point

Title says it all really; I just learnt from this forum that I can book the i/v ahead of my ever-speedy attorneys actually submitting the visa package for approval, so as I'm in quite a hurry, would like to get an i/v ASAP. It looks as if London is booking into mid-June now, anyone have any ideas on Belfast?

And/or, can I just ring up both of the embassies to find out how long, or do they not like that?

Thanks all...
I rang embassy today to get an idea for interview wait for an L1, they told me July. By the way do you have to wait for the pack from the US attorney, or can you book an interview without it and take it when it comes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.