L1a to Green Card Complications

Old Dec 13th 2013, 5:16 am
Just Joined

Aimee Jones is an unknown quantity at this point
Default L1a to Green Card Complications

Hi everyone,

My husband and I are both on an L1 and L2 visas in the US. We would like
to apply for our green cards, but my husband's work situation over the next 12 months is unpredictable. With company downsizing, we are both a bit worried for the future.

If the worst was to happen, we would have to return back to the UK. I am Canadian by birth and am wondering whether we could apply to Canada now and apply for residency (me sponsoring him). This would act as an insurance, if I can sponsor him to Canada if the worst was to happen.

My question is, if I sponsor him over to Canada now, and assuming he gets the residency, would this impact an application for a green card to US later on, through his work?

In other words from an L1a to Green Card, do we need to declare that we have a residency in Canada?
Old Dec 13th 2013, 5:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: L1a to Green Card Complications

Maybe you can explain Canadian immigration law to me. How could he be a resident of Canada without living there? Is that possible? Or do you mean, sponsor him for residency and get approved but don't activate the residency if he is sponsored for the green card? If that is the case, there is probably a time limit that he has to activate the Canadian residency.

In my personal opinion, I don't think USCIS cares but they might wonder if he was breaking Canadian law if he activates his Canadian residency and didn't live there.
Old Dec 13th 2013, 7:33 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like, if you strike out on US via employer sponsorship, you have Canada as a backup? is that it?.
Old Dec 13th 2013, 9:44 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
Maybe you can explain Canadian immigration law to me. How could he be a resident of Canada without living there? Is that possible? Or do you mean, sponsor him for residency and get approved but don't activate the residency if he is sponsored for the green card? If that is the case, there is probably a time limit that he has to activate the Canadian residency.

In my personal opinion, I don't think USCIS cares but they might wonder if he was breaking Canadian law if he activates his Canadian residency and didn't live there.
The OP could sponsor her husband for Canadian PR now, and then once he's gone to Canada to 'activate' it (within a year of the date of medical), he can return to the US - as long as he's living with her, then that counts as time spent in Canada for residency requirements.

So he'd keep his Canadian PR even if back in the US indefinitely.

HTH.
Old Dec 13th 2013, 12:23 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aimee Jones
My question is, if I sponsor him over to Canada now, and assuming he gets the residency, would this impact an application for a green card to US later on, through his work?
You sponsoring your husband for Canadian residency will have no impact whatsoever on your plans to get a US green card.

In other words from an L1a to Green Card, do we need to declare that we have a residency in Canada?
No. The US has no interest in what other residency he might have.

Ian
Old Dec 13th 2013, 7:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

jxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond repute

The only issue I can think of is if you apply for Canadian PR after becoming a U.S. PR, this could potentially be interpreted by CBP or ICE as an act indicating abandonment of status. I'm not saying that it is... just that it could look that way.
Old Dec 13th 2013, 8:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jxv73
The only issue I can think of is if you apply for Canadian PR after becoming a U.S. PR, this could potentially be interpreted by CBP or ICE as an act indicating abandonment of status. I'm not saying that it is... just that it could look that way.
There's one case in US immigration history where a guy lost his US LPR status after a one day trip to Canada to "activate" his Landed Immigrant status there. I don't remember the details.
Old Dec 15th 2013, 2:37 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by RICH
Sounds like, if you strike out on US via employer sponsorship, you have Canada as a backup? is that it?.
Yes Rich, having the backup is exactly what we are striving for.
If we have to leave, I would rather put our good in storage and then travel up to Canada.
Old Dec 15th 2013, 6:19 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by RICH
Originally Posted by ian-mstm
You sponsoring your husband for Canadian residency will have no impact whatsoever on your plans to get a US green card.

No. The US has no interest in what other residency he might have.

Ian

Thanks Ian!
Old Dec 15th 2013, 6:22 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Marocco
There's one case in US immigration history where a guy lost his US LPR status after a one day trip to Canada to "activate" his Landed Immigrant status there. I don't remember the details.
The long term goals is living in the US, if we are able to get this via a company sponsored visa, I don't envisage we would want later apply for PR in Canada.
Old Dec 16th 2013, 9:50 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

I see no discussion of the "portability" provisions once an I-485 has been filed. When I was in practice, the first portability case I handled involved a new employer with the same job minus the "international" organization aspect [the petitioning employer was Canada-US while the substitute employer was San Diego].
Old Apr 12th 2014, 4:06 pm
Just Joined

To make the case for GC, my husband's employer says he needs to have people reporting to him in the US (currently he has two people reporting to him). To move from the L1a to GC how many people does my husband need reporting to him and also for how?

Can anyone share some insight into this?
Old Apr 12th 2014, 6:33 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

To make the case for GC...
Make the case to whom? I don't think it's a US immigration requirement, although I could be wrong about that. AFAIK, it's the employer's decision... not the US government's.

Ian
Old Apr 14th 2014, 12:33 pm
Just Joined

Thanks this is interesting, does anyone on the forum have some further insight?

To migrate from an L1a to a GC, my husband's employer says he must have direct reports in the US. Is this a requirement by immigration? If so, how may direct reports must he have in the US.

After reading the many threads here, my understanding is that the company would decide to sponsor him and us. But, I'm not sure what the exact requirements are, especially when it comes to direct reports.

Can anyone help answer?
Old Apr 14th 2014, 1:18 pm
Account Closed

To migrate from an L1a to a GC, my husband's employer says he must have direct reports in the US.
Quite simply, the employer is wrong. Even functional managers (those who oversee a process rather than people) can move from an L-1A to GC... and many have done so. Who is giving you this information? Some idiot in HR?

Is this a requirement by immigration?
AFAIK, no such requirement exists.

Ian

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.