Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

L1A to GC - but company about to split

L1A to GC - but company about to split

Old Feb 9th 2011, 6:21 pm
Forum Regular

benblaney is just really nicebenblaney is just really nicebenblaney is just really nicebenblaney is just really nicebenblaney is just really nicebenblaney is just really nicebenblaney is just really nicebenblaney is just really nicebenblaney is just really nice
Default L1A to GC - but company about to split

A moderately-rare situation, I'm sure.

British L1A visa holder employed by a Fortune 250 company, which is about to spin into three, separate, publicly-traded companies.

What is impact if GC process is started now? Would it be best to wait until the new legal entity is created?

Any thoughts?
Old Feb 9th 2011, 7:11 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: L1A to GC - but company about to spin

Originally Posted by benblaney
What is impact if GC process is started now? Would it be best to wait until the new legal entity is created?
My guess is that if the original sponsoring company ends up broken up into 3 new entities, then it's probably best to wait until that gets sorted. If the original sponsoring company is still left standing after the other two are created, you should be fine if the process is started now.

Ian
Old Feb 9th 2011, 7:35 pm
Forum Regular

benblaney is just really nicebenblaney is just really nicebenblaney is just really nicebenblaney is just really nicebenblaney is just really nicebenblaney is just really nicebenblaney is just really nicebenblaney is just really nicebenblaney is just really nice

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
My guess is that if the original sponsoring company ends up broken up into 3 new entities, then it's probably best to wait until that gets sorted. If the original sponsoring company is still left standing after the other two are created, you should be fine if the process is started now.

Ian
Original sponsoring company will still exist after the spin, but the individual in question will work for one of the other parts...
Old Feb 9th 2011, 7:41 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Original sponsoring company will still exist after the spin, but the individual in question will work for one of the other parts...
Ah! Well then... and I'm not 100% sure about this, if the person no longer works for the original sponsoring company, he may need to be sponsored by the new entity once it's created, and a new L-1A applied for... which is going to be difficult if he can't prove he's worked for the company for at least 1 out of the past 3 years! If... if you see what I mean!

Ian
Old Feb 11th 2011, 9:29 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

A moderately-rare situation, I'm sure.

British L1A visa holder employed by a Fortune 250 company, which is about to spin into three, separate, publicly-traded companies.

Any thoughts?
What do the attorneys involved have to say?
Old Feb 11th 2011, 11:48 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
What do the attorneys involved have to say?
Don't know yet. This was a pre-emptive opinion-gathering exercise to see if the employee in question should push hard now to get things started, or kick back and wait.
Old Feb 11th 2011, 12:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

zerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Yeah, although if the job title or responsibilities change in any way after the restructuring that can potentially (not necessarily likely in this case, but still) cause problems with the I-140, I think.

Depending on how soon all of this is going to happen, AC-21 could come into play: six months after the filing of an AOS application you're free to change jobs (within the same occupational classification) and so all these issues would be moot - but I think that requires the application to be based on an approved I-140 (rather than concurrently filed). (My command of the details of this stuff is getting weaker and weaker the less I have to worry about it personally, I'm afraid.)
Old Feb 11th 2011, 7:50 pm
Forum Regular

washsaint is just really nicewashsaint is just really nicewashsaint is just really nicewashsaint is just really nicewashsaint is just really nicewashsaint is just really nicewashsaint is just really nicewashsaint is just really nicewashsaint is just really nicewashsaint is just really nicewashsaint is just really nice

Re. AC21 and an approved I140.....

The advice I have been given is that an I140 does NOT need to be approved prior to invoking AC21. The application must have been filed for at least 6 months and the new job must be very similar to the old job. Apparently after 6 months an employer cannot (although it appears vague) revoke an I140 application.

Also been told this is very risky - if the I140 is denied or an RFE issued you are immediately out of status.