Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

L1a ? Actual Visa expiration date 5 years ?

L1a ? Actual Visa expiration date 5 years ?

Old Nov 25th 2017, 7:34 pm
Just Joined

Andyoxon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default L1a ? Actual Visa expiration date 5 years ?

We have just recieved our visa’s back and I was expecting the L1A with 7 years validity. The accuatual Visa only states L1 no mention of A or B I’m concerned that we have been issued a L1B not the L1A only because of the 5 year expiration date on the Visa. We are moving from the U.K. to San Fran and meet all the requirements for the L1A.

Has anyone else recently received their L1A visa how long was the expiration date that was actually stamped on the visa in the Passport.

Thanks in advance
Old Nov 25th 2017, 8:15 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: L1a ? Actual Visa expiration date 5 years ?

General comments.

Although the petitions are in L-1a and L-1b, the actual visas are plain vanilla "L-1."

Visa validity is governed by the Department of State "Reciprocity Tables." Inasmuch most participants in this forum are from the UK, they get the 60 month visas.
Old Nov 25th 2017, 8:18 pm
Forum Regular

Mercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond repute

I can only comment from 2004. But just checked and the visa in my passport just said “L1” and I was on an L-1b. For me, the expiration date was 3 years after the issue date, but I understood that was the date I had to return to a consult to renew it, which could be done for a total of 5 or 7 years, I forget which.
Old Nov 25th 2017, 8:20 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Seven years is the maximum period of validity for an L-1A, but L-1 visas are rarely, if ever, initially issued for their maximum validity, and 1-3 years is reportedly quite common, then you apply for a two year extension(s).

So, in your case you have been issued a five year L-1A (if that is what the application was for, and haven't been told otherwise), and then after four years and ten months IIRC, you can apply for a two year extension, to take you to seven years.
Old Nov 25th 2017, 8:26 pm
Just Joined

Andyoxon is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everyone feeling better now, looks like most likely have what we ordered
Old Nov 26th 2017, 12:28 am
Forum Regular

CA-NY has a reputation beyond reputeCA-NY has a reputation beyond reputeCA-NY has a reputation beyond reputeCA-NY has a reputation beyond reputeCA-NY has a reputation beyond reputeCA-NY has a reputation beyond reputeCA-NY has a reputation beyond reputeCA-NY has a reputation beyond reputeCA-NY has a reputation beyond reputeCA-NY has a reputation beyond reputeCA-NY has a reputation beyond repute

Based on our L1-A / L2 experience - Your petition is likely only valid for 3 years so that will need renewed toward the end of Year 3. But your 5 year visa will carry you through that. Then when it comes towards the end of year 5, you need a second petition renewal and a new visa (trip to Embassy). So our petition has been is 3+2+2 and visas 5+5.

Last edited by CA-NY; Nov 26th 2017 at 12:39 am.
Old Nov 26th 2017, 12:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Fred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by CA-NY
Based on our L1-A / L2 experience - Your petition is likely only valid for 3 years so that will need renewed toward the end of Year 3. But your 5 year visa will carry you through that. Then when it comes towards the end of year 5, you need a second petition renewal and a new visa (trip to Embassy). So our petition has been is 3+2+2 and visas 5+5.
I agree, there are likely two dates on the visa.
Old Nov 28th 2017, 2:52 pm
Forum Regular

deadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond repute

I had a really odd situation.

I entered on L1B, however the consular official wrote the dates on my documentation as if it was L1A giving me 5 years.

As we got to what I thought the renewal date should be (ie 3 years) I spoke to my company lawyers and they said that the only thing that mattered was the date written by the official and not type of L1 I entered in - whether he messed up, or was able to be flexible on dates is the question

It's all moot anyway, as I'm now LPR and that went through without any issues