Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

L1 visa to US: Have partner but not married

L1 visa to US: Have partner but not married

Old Jun 5th 2007, 11:04 pm
Just Joined

mrcarrot is on a distinguished road
Default L1 visa to US: Have partner but not married

Hi,

I have an L1 visa arrange by my US employer (who I have worked for since start of 2005) to work in the US in a parent office (same department however).

Now - the problem! I will only go if my g/f (cohabiting, joint bank accounts etc...) of 4 years+ could join me. I know that there is no co-habiting visa and it appears that unless your married, your stuffed. Is there any other way?

My g/f could get a job in the us (she specializes in renewable energy), but could an employer arrange for a visa themselves without having to get into the HB-1 visa lottery? What if they can prove that they have advertised the position locally with no joy?

If all these fails, she could enter on a visa-waiver (90 days) and not work, but this would be fairly harsh for her. Could she do 'volunteer' work (unpaid) on this visa (for something to do at least)? Would applying for US jobs (and living in the US) help in her situation (if not for being available for interview)?

Many thanks for your advice,

mr carrot
Old Jun 5th 2007, 11:16 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: L1 visa to US: Have partner but not married

Originally Posted by mrcarrot
Hi,

I have an L1 visa arrange by my US employer (who I have worked for since start of 2005) to work in the US in a parent office (same department however).

Now - the problem! I will only go if my g/f (cohabiting, joint bank accounts etc...) of 4 years+ could join me. I know that there is no co-habiting visa and it appears that unless your married, your stuffed. Is there any other way?

My g/f could get a job in the us (she specializes in renewable energy), but could an employer arrange for a visa themselves without having to get into the HB-1 visa lottery? What if they can prove that they have advertised the position locally with no joy?

If all these fails, she could enter on a visa-waiver (90 days) and not work, but this would be fairly harsh for her. Could she do 'volunteer' work (unpaid) on this visa (for something to do at least)? Would applying for US jobs (and living in the US) help in her situation (if not for being available for interview)?

Many thanks for your advice,

mr carrot
The Wiki section lists the various visas that are available.

But basically there's the H1b (which requires employer sonsorship and she would not be starting before October 2008 unless the position was with a university), or applying for a B2 tourist visa (the VWP is strictly for short visits only, not for living here).

Getting married would definitely be easiest...
Old Jun 5th 2007, 11:40 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
The
Getting married would definitely be easiest...
I agree.. marry the girl ...
she gets an L-2 and can work her little heart out for you ...

Visa waiver will end in tears ..
Old Jun 6th 2007, 12:23 am
Jozef

"mrcarrot" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected] m...
>
> I have an L1 visa arrange by my US employer (who I have worked for
> since start of 2005) to work in the US in a parent office (same
> department however).
>
> Now - the problem! I will only go if my g/f (cohabiting, joint bank
> accounts etc...) of 4 years+ could join me. I know that there is no co-
> habiting visa and it appears that unless your married, your stuffed. Is
> there any other way?
>

Your girlfriend can apply for a B-2 co-habiting partner visa.

Check out http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_new...iv/spouse.html
and http://travel.state.gov/visa/laws/te...rams_1414.html

In contrast to a regular B-2, this type of B-2 can be extended for as long
as the "principal" visa holder is in the US.

Jozef

Old Jun 6th 2007, 10:50 pm
Just Joined

mrcarrot is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the replies!

The only issue with getting married is that the missus and I don't really want it. We are happy together and very much in love, but not having the marriage tie benefits us much more - we don't have a property and we having the freedom and lack of responsibilities to spend spare cash and have a good time. Getting married just strikes us as a lot of fuss, expense and time for us both, when in fact we are already very happy. Getting married is something that we really look forward to but don't wish to do right now.

I totally agree that if she can't find employment, things will turn sour after 3-4 months, so logic says we should try Canada or Australia where her visa would be easier and we'd both be much more integrated into the whole experience.

Hmmm - much to think about.

Thanks again,

mr carrot