Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

L1 visa situation - any change since 2013?

L1 visa situation - any change since 2013?

Old Jan 7th 2019, 7:45 pm
Forum Regular

jammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: L1 visa situation - any change since 2013?

Originally Posted by Hawkini
I don't like it when people say this - it's not really true.
My wife was sponsored on a L1-B visa, and applied for (and was approved for) a EB-1C multinational manager.
There is *absolutely* no truth that a L1-A is an easier route - the EB-1 (or EB-2/3) are totally judged on their own merit.
If you want to caveat and say "it's easier *because you may be able to re-use some of the material or evidence in the new petition* then say that, but there is no correlation between L1-A or L1-B and the ease of getting a green card later.
Surely the L1-A is easier than L1-B purely due to the fact that a labor certificate is not required, therefore shortening the process considerably?
Old Jan 7th 2019, 7:48 pm
Forum Regular

Hawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jammiie
Surely the L1-A is easier than L1-B purely due to the fact that a labor certificate is not required, therefore shortening the process considerably?
But is that relevant to making it easier to get a green card? No... I never said getting a L1-A wouldn't be preferable... just whatever L visa you get the EB petition will be judged solely on its own merit.
Old Jan 7th 2019, 9:08 pm
Forum Regular

jammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond repute

Hawkini;12617693]But is that relevant to making it easier to get a green card? No... I never said getting a L1-A wouldn't be preferable... just whatever L visa you get the EB petition will be judged solely on its own merit.
I think we're splitting hairs here but really depends on your interpretation of "easier".

Does "easier to get a GC" only = "more likely"?

I would argue that not having to get a LC makes the whole thing much quicker, simpler, less variable and removes a lot of the subjectivity from the application process... which in my view would fall under the umbrella of "making it easier".
Old Jan 7th 2019, 9:24 pm
Forum Regular

Hawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jammiie
I think we're splitting hairs here but really depends on your interpretation of "easier".
Ah - we *could* be splitting hairs but what else is the internet for. IMO you're missing the point - you think I'm misinterpreting the term "easier" in this context, but I think you're misunderstanding the context - which is the "ability to get a green card". Whether you go through hell to get your *non-immigrant visa* is irrelevant when filing a petition for a immigrant visa - they are both totally separate and getting a non-immigrant visa does not make getting an immigrant visa any easier.

Now if the context was "the entire process" or "getting a L visa" - totally agree - LC is a PITA. (Which I didn't have to do in 2011!!)

In summary, without splitting anymore hairs - get a L-1A for a much more pleasant life. But if you DO end up with a L-1B, don't worry. If you qualify for a EB-1 you'll be fine either way.
Old Jan 8th 2019, 12:27 am
BE Enthusiast

robtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond repute

I'm confused, the question was in relation to an L1A vs. L1B, wasn't it? The L1A is easier to obtain, provided you meet the requirements. Right now, if you were talking Green Cards, the EB1C isn't current so probably less easy for a bit, but the OP was wondering why the lawyers were suggesting trying the L1A route for a short term transfer - in fact they mention they only want to be over for 3 years.
Old Jan 16th 2019, 9:09 am
Just Joined

radiotakeshi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by siliconpete
The principle concern seems to be about not having a degree, last time in 2013 I easily was able to show specialized knowledge
having a related degree helps but it is not strictly necessary: I got my L1b visa approved this week and I have a degree that is totally unrelated with what I do. I've been working in my field (marketing) for over 13 years and (according with my company lawyers) that's equivalent of having a bachelor degree in marketing.

All you need to demonstrate is that you possess specialty knowledge as it relates to the role that needs to be transferred to the US and experience with the company proprietary technology, methodologies, processes, procedures.