L1 Visa for Single Person Company

Old Apr 16th 2014, 9:59 pm
Just Joined

judemonkey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default L1 Visa for Single Person Company

Hello there

Would it be possible to set up a new company in the USA, and for a company owner to move there and work for this new company. The original company is in the UK, and there is only a single director/worker.

Thanks.
Old Apr 16th 2014, 10:35 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: L1 Visa for Single Person Company

Originally Posted by judemonkey
Would it be possible...
Is it possible? Yes! Is it practical? Hard to say!

The original company is in the UK, and there is only a single director/worker.
For an L-1 visa to be feasible, the UK business must continue to operate and be a viable concern.

Ian
Old Apr 16th 2014, 10:46 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello there

Would it be possible to set up a new company in the USA, and for a company owner to move there and work for this new company. The original company is in the UK, and there is only a single director/worker.

Thanks.
Would the "new company" be a US branch of the existing UK company? Would the UK branch still be operational, with someone there to manage it (not you)? How many employees will you be hiring at the US branch?

Rene
Old Apr 16th 2014, 10:49 pm
Just Joined

Yes, a US branch. No, there would not be someone to manage it in the UK. I would not be expecting to hire anyone in the USA, at least not at first.
Old Apr 16th 2014, 10:50 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

No, there would not be someone to manage it in the UK.
End of the road then!

Ian
Old Apr 16th 2014, 10:51 pm
Just Joined

I could put my mother on the payroll perhaps so she can manage the incoming mail.
Old Apr 16th 2014, 10:52 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, a US branch. No, there would not be someone to manage it in the UK. I would not be expecting to hire anyone in the USA, at least not at first.
In that case, I don't believe an L "intercompany transfer" visa would work for you.

Rene
Old Apr 16th 2014, 10:53 pm

I could put my mother on the payroll perhaps so she can manage the incoming mail.
Is that all the UK side of the business will be doing? Receiving mail? In order to get an L visa, you will need to keep both branches of the company up and running...the UK side and the US side. If the only thing the UK branch is doing is receiving mail (the kind of mail anyone's mom can open), then it doesn't sound like it's a very viable, thriving, UK business.

Rene
Old Apr 16th 2014, 10:56 pm
Account Closed

Who would actually run the business? From what you've written, no one! End of the road.

Ian
Old Apr 16th 2014, 11:05 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for your advice.
Old Apr 16th 2014, 11:46 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

The first place to start would be with your legal and financial teams, we know nothing about your business etc, well very little.
Old Apr 19th 2014, 6:15 am
Forum Regular

411 is an unknown quantity at this point

Im in a similar position however legal, financial are all independent contractors. I would love to put my father on the payroll but he must learn the job not just be paid for doing nothing.

My Ltd Company is property management. He needs to scan any letters that come through and upload on the software. I am hoping he can also action them but I doubt it. So my hope is remote access to the application for any staff I hire for the L1 to complete actioning.

Most of correspondence is already done by email so I think this would work. My Uk business will not be able to close down as it manages a portfolio of properties belonging to me.

Judemonkey why not give a bit more detail of your company so you can get better feedback.
Old Apr 19th 2014, 6:34 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 411
Im in a similar position however legal, financial are all independent contractors. I would love to put my father on the payroll but he must learn the job not just be paid for doing nothing.

My Ltd Company is property management. He needs to scan any letters that come through and upload on the software. I am hoping he can also action them but I doubt it. So my hope is remote access to the application for any staff I hire for the L1 to complete actioning.
Have you already got your L1 then? I'm intrigued, as I thought the L1 only applied to bona fide companies with staff, not just properties managed by one person? How big is the company out of interest?
Old Apr 19th 2014, 6:44 am
Forum Regular

411 is an unknown quantity at this point

No application has not yet been submitted. I need to reduce alot of 245 page application as it was to be submitted as an EB5 but it has been suggested that L1 is the better path to choose. What do you mean by how big?
Old Apr 19th 2014, 8:32 am

Originally Posted by 411
What do you mean by how big?
How many people does it employ?

Rene

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.