L1 Visa (one man business owner)

Old Apr 6th 2021, 2:06 pm
Just Joined

Tristanmac72 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default L1 Visa (one man business owner)

Hi all,

amazing forum and quality threads, so I thought it a great place to ask a few basics...

I have been owner/director of a small but successful event management company here in the UK for over 5 years.
Many of our clients are now in the US, and 90% more potential business is there, in 2020 we helped several clients out in the US with event services until Covid hit.
The potential is there, I just need to be there myself and build the business up with a proven business plan strategy.

L1 Visa....
- Am I as the owner of the business allowed to apply for this?
- My father will take over as UK director, when I move to the US, and maintain the UK/EU end.
- What do I need to know / what am I missing ?
- I have a wife and 9 year old I wish to bring with me.

I looked at the E2 also, but that seems like a harder visa to get, with 100k min to invest.

Note: Ive already invested 20k in equipment in the US sitting in a warehouse ready to use for the next event.
We use local US residents and technicians when we do events, but up to now I haven't been able to get involved due to not having a visa or being able to move there...

Also trying to find immigration service that can give some 'free' initial info is hard! I just need to find out enough to press the button, then I don't mind paying for services IF I can't do it myself..

Any help is much appreciated.

Last edited by Tristanmac72; Apr 6th 2021 at 2:08 pm.
Old Apr 6th 2021, 6:18 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: L1 Visa (one man business owner)

If you're going to get a professional involved, make sure it's a reputable immigration attorney. Don't use a "visa service" company. Some attorneys will do a free or low-cost consultation.

Since you've been doing these events remotely for a while, what is the need to physically live in the USA? You might be able to just use the VWP for some business meetings.

Sorry I don't have specific info on the L or E visa routes.

Rene
Old Apr 6th 2021, 6:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

As I understand it one would need a 'bricks and mortar' office in the US in order to do an intercompany transfer?
Old Apr 6th 2021, 9:00 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am by no means clear if it could be done for such a small operation, certainly you need competent legal guidance, there are certainly good US Immigration Lawyers in the UK.
Old Apr 6th 2021, 9:52 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

OP, would you be looking to hire on employees in the USA? I don't think the L visa supports a 1-man operation.

Rene
Old Apr 7th 2021, 12:12 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Seems that you have a couple of barriers here - why move to the US when you've done business here already and haven't lived here? Is this anything other than a subsistence business? Will you be hiring staff? Will you need physical office space?

And the obvious one - why did you invest $20k in equipment before you knew that you would be able to get a visa?