L1 Visa Length

Old Jul 22nd 2015, 11:53 am
Forum Regular

daccs has a reputation beyond reputedaccs has a reputation beyond reputedaccs has a reputation beyond reputedaccs has a reputation beyond reputedaccs has a reputation beyond reputedaccs has a reputation beyond reputedaccs has a reputation beyond reputedaccs has a reputation beyond reputedaccs has a reputation beyond reputedaccs has a reputation beyond reputedaccs has a reputation beyond repute
Default L1 Visa Length

Hi

I picked up my L1 visa today and it is valid for 5 years. I thought it would be 3 and I'd have to extend it. Anyone else recently had a L1 via?

Makes life a lot easier now.

Roll on 20th August.

Dave
Old Jul 22nd 2015, 12:27 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: L1 Visa Length

Originally Posted by daccs
Hi

I picked up my L1 visa today and it is valid for 5 years. I thought it would be 3 and I'd have to extend it. Anyone else recently had a L1 via?

Roll on 20th August.

Dave
Can only talk to 5 years ago, I got 3 years on the visa and I129 which is basically what the USCIS site still says (except for new offices, 1 year):

"Period of Stay
Qualified employees entering the United States to establish a new office will be allowed a maximum initial stay of one year. All other qualified employees will be allowed a maximum initial stay of three years. For all L-1A employees, requests for extension of stay may be granted in increments of up to an additional two years, until the employee has reached the maximum limit of seven years."

Is your I129 also valid for the full 5 years?
Old Jul 22nd 2015, 1:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

HartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Roll on 20th August.

Dave
You need to be very careful here as there have been incidences whereby people have overstayed due to the belief that as their visa is valid for 5 years they can work in the U.S. for the same amount of time.

Pre 2012 the L1 visa tended to be valid for the same duration as the petition. This meant that any petition renewal involved a visit back to the UK for a new visa. In order to streamline the process visas are now issued for 5 years, which means that the first petition renewal won't involve a trip back to the UK.

You must check the dates on your petition - it will have an end date on it which is usually 3 years, although sometimes less. This date is the one that is important. If you want to remain working in the U.S. any longer than the date indicated on your petition, your employer will need to file for an extension nearer the time.

Additionally, when you arrive in the U.S. with your L1 also ensure that immigration stamp your passport with the correct end date too. It should be the same date as the one on your petition.
Old Jul 22nd 2015, 2:43 pm
Forum Regular

daccs has a reputation beyond reputedaccs has a reputation beyond reputedaccs has a reputation beyond reputedaccs has a reputation beyond reputedaccs has a reputation beyond reputedaccs has a reputation beyond reputedaccs has a reputation beyond reputedaccs has a reputation beyond reputedaccs has a reputation beyond reputedaccs has a reputation beyond reputedaccs has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks both of you

The I129 only has intended employment dates on it. Cant actually find see anything relating to visa dates!

I did find some dates on the I797 which has the visa from 26th June 2015 to 14th April 2018, I'm assuming these are my dates?

Seems strange to have the visa dates longer. I assume that if we successfully get approved for an extension (when the time comes) we wont actually get issued another visa, and we'll only get a new I797
Old Jul 22nd 2015, 3:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks both of you

The I129 only has intended employment dates on it. Cant actually find see anything relating to visa dates!

I did find some dates on the I797 which has the visa from 26th June 2015 to 14th April 2018, I'm assuming these are my dates?

Seems strange to have the visa dates longer. I assume that if we successfully get approved for an extension (when the time comes) we wont actually get issued another visa, and we'll only get a new I797
Yes that is exactly it - it is more of a housekeeping initiative, to save you having to go back to the consulate to get another visa but you do need to extend it. It was announced some time in 2012.
Old Jul 22nd 2015, 3:09 pm
Forum Regular

thanks, do you know how painful is the process to extend it?
Old Jul 22nd 2015, 3:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

The attorneys submit the paperwork within 6 months of the expiry date. I believe they reiterate that you are still employed, they are still doing business etc.
Old Jul 22nd 2015, 9:45 pm
Forum Regular

DottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond repute

My case may be the exception but the renewal was far more work than the initial application. My initial application went very smoothly but upon renewal, which I stupidly thought would be routine as I was still the same employer, still the same address etc etc was plagued with a couple of RFE which held up and delayed the process. My application for renewal was submitted in June, the visa expired in Sept and it was 2 weeks before Xmas that I got the approval. I was panicking that I wouldn't be able to go home for Xmas.

As I said I could be the exception but it was the same immigration lawyer I used in the initial application.
Old Jul 23rd 2015, 1:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Awesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond repute

My L1-A was in relation to a start-up and my initial visa was valid for 3 years (this was back in 2001 however).
The renewal was by no means a formality. Our attorneys had to provide quite extensive information and data, which (I believe) was compared with our original business plan and financial projections.
By renewal time we had a very strong business, employing around 50 people and getting from zero to #2 in the market sector in 3 years.
Old Jul 24th 2015, 7:54 pm
Forum Regular

off_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond repute

Got my L1 in December 2013 for arrival in the US in March 2014. Valid only 3 years. Not sure why, but only 3. Extendable to a max of 7 years, so you have time to consider what to do.