L1 Visa Interview

Old Dec 10th 2009, 12:52 pm
Forum Regular

bostonbound will become famous soon enough
Default L1 Visa Interview

Hi

First of all I want to say a huge thank you to everyone! I have been lurking on this site for a few months now and I have found it to be a wealth of information!

We have our interview at the Embassy next week and after reading all the posts, I am terrified! Any tips would be gratefully received.

I know nothing is definite until we get approved but all of a sudden it seems very real whereas before it was just talk. Help! My brain hurts just thinking about where to start!

Thanks again and long may this site continue.
Old Dec 10th 2009, 1:05 pm
Forum Regular

NYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud of
Default Re: L1 Visa Interview

Originally Posted by bostonbound
Hi

First of all I want to say a huge thank you to everyone! I have been lurking on this site for a few months now and I have found it to be a wealth of information!

We have our interview at the Embassy next week and after reading all the posts, I am terrified! Any tips would be gratefully received.

I know nothing is definite until we get approved but all of a sudden it seems very real whereas before it was just talk. Help! My brain hurts just thinking about where to start!

Thanks again and long may this site continue.
I feel for you, I wouldn't want to go through that again. Not that it was anywhere near the ordeal that I expected, it was the anticipation that was the worst thing.
Tips, be prepared, don't take anything with you that you can't take in (ie electric car fobs, phone etc..) make sure you have filled in the forms correctly, even after triple checking we had still missed bits on the forms. Make sure you have your photos aswell, the number of people when we were there that weren't properly prepared was astonishing!

I did a write up of my embassy experience as have others. I think it helped enormously knowing what to expect. Have you seen the embassy video? It's on a stickie at the top of the forum.

Good luck. Most people are fine and find it a total anti-climax. But rather that than the alternative!
Old Dec 10th 2009, 3:49 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

All I can remember of our interview was sitting next to Roger Daltrey for a couple of hours.
Old Dec 10th 2009, 4:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Longy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to behold

Mine was a few years back now, but from what I recall it wasn't an interview at all. I went up to a window, handed them the details, sat down for a while, got called to another window, handed over my passport, left.

They may have asked a couple of questions, but it was probably just things like my job title.

It is certainly nothing like going for a green card interview.
Old Dec 10th 2009, 4:05 pm
Forum Regular

big_fish is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Longy
Mine was a few years back now, but from what I recall it wasn't an interview at all. I went up to a window, handed them the details, sat down for a while, got called to another window, handed over my passport, left.

They may have asked a couple of questions, but it was probably just things like my job title.

It is certainly nothing like going for a green card interview.

Pretty much the same as I remember it. As others have said, the anticipation is far more nerve-wracking than the actual experience.
Old Dec 10th 2009, 4:09 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

You'll find lots of L-1 interview experiences posted here in the Immigration section now that I've moved your post. Have a snoop through.
Old Dec 11th 2009, 8:56 am
Forum Regular

Thank you for all your replies! Feel slightly less anxious now but will post on Wednesday to let you know how it goes.
Old Dec 11th 2009, 9:35 am
Just Joined

JetRanger is an unknown quantity at this point

I know how you feel, I was really worried about my H1-b visa interview which was on Tuesday. I had a visa refusal under my belt from a while ago so I was even more anxious!
I had a 30 min wait outside the embassy to get in (for a 10am appointment) and then had a 15 min wait for the doc check at the first window.

The wait for the 2nd window was about an hour.
A group of 5 of us were called to window 19 together, and we lined up. When it was my turn, I walked to the window and the officer said, Hi Mr Jetranger, nice to see you today, please place your fingers on the scanner - thank you, now take your blue form to the courier desk. Have a nice day" and that was it. No questions about my job, my employer, anything. Was almost a disappointment not to get a grilling, but also a big relief!
I was at the courier desk longer than I was with the consular officer.

Try not to worry - easy to say after the event, but as long as you have everything in order and no reason to doubt your own application, you'll be fine.
I received my passport back early yesterday morning, less than 48 hours after the actual appointment. Now looking forward to travelling out there in the New Year!!
Old Dec 11th 2009, 12:59 pm
Forum Regular

triptastic is on a distinguished road

Most difficult bit for me was the getting finger prints scanned. I kept getting told they were too sticky! Everything else was just a formality. Take a book for the wait - depending on how busy it is you could be there a couple of hours mainly waiting. The screen with the numbers gets a bit tedious.
Old Dec 11th 2009, 2:00 pm
Forum Regular

Do you think it is likely that we will be back for school pick up (3.30pm), if the time to be there is 8am. (London is just under 1 hour away from home.)

I just feel so bad leaving them with somebody the night before and then having somebody else pick them up in the afternoon! I know we can't take mobile phones with us which is a pain, although how did we ever cope without them?!?!
Old Dec 11th 2009, 3:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

emailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really nice

Originally Posted by bostonbound
Do you think it is likely that we will be back for school pick up (3.30pm), if the time to be there is 8am. (London is just under 1 hour away from home.)

I just feel so bad leaving them with somebody the night before and then having somebody else pick them up in the afternoon! I know we can't take mobile phones with us which is a pain, although how did we ever cope without them?!?!
You're not in the summer, so it SHOULD be quieter without all the drunk drivers trying to go to florida and needing visas...I would say so. We took about 4-5 hours total, but it was mega busy. You might be lucky.
Old Dec 12th 2009, 10:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Vimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond repute

I was at the London consulate on 3 December with a 9.30am appointment for my L1 renewal. However I was up bright eyed and bushy tailed and at the consulate at 8.30am, the tube in took far less time than I expected plus the walk from Bond Street station was quick on a cold damp morning. I was hanging around when one of the pre-screeners in Grosvenor Square asked could they help me, when I told them I had a 9.30am appointment I was told that doesnt matter so long as I had an appointment letter for that day there is no point in hanging about in the miserable weather.
The lady who issues the interview numbers also agreed that so long as i had an appointment for that particular day they could accommodate me earlier.
In fact I was actually out of the consulate by just after 9.45am having been thru the document check, interview and arranging the courier setup.
As this is your initial interview possibly it may take a little longer (maybe you will be asked 5 questions) but dont worry, it is not the Spanish Inquisition.
You will definitely be back for the kids at 3.30 pm for sure (unless you get stuck in traffic or decide to do some shopping on Oxford Street)