L1 Visa help

Old Mar 28th 2019, 1:04 pm
Just Joined

Littlerayofsunshine is an unknown quantity at this point
Default L1 Visa help

Hi Everyone

I will apologise straight away if my question is stupid or if i am over complicating the situation in my own head.

I work for one of the Big 4 accountancy firms and am in the process of starting talks on transferring to the US. I understand that the visa type will be determined by my employer, however my preference would be to go on an L1, therefore my husband could also join me and work too. My question is, can i transfer permanently to the US using the L1 visa and then apply for a Green Card or is the L1 visa solely used to transfer employee's on short term assignments.

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer me
Old Mar 28th 2019, 1:26 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: L1 Visa help

An L-1 is inherently temporary, after an initial period the L-1A can be extended to a maximum of 7 years, and the L-1B to 5 years.

You can't apply for a green card at all*, your employer has the option to, and can do so at any time.

The usual advice is (i) get the application for a green card written into the contract to move you to the US, say "after 24 months of satisfactory performance", and (ii) apply at least a year before the end of the period of your L-1 …. 2 years before would be better.

* There are a few rare exceptions, mostly related to technology skills. …. Or if you have $500,000 to invest throw away, on an Eb-5 investment visa.

Last edited by Pulaski; Mar 28th 2019 at 1:29 pm.
Old Mar 28th 2019, 3:26 pm
Just Joined

Littlerayofsunshine is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pulaski
An L-1 is inherently temporary, after an initial period the L-1A can be extended to a maximum of 7 years, and the L-1B to 5 years.

You can't apply for a green card at all*, your employer has the option to, and can do so at any time.

The usual advice is (i) get the application for a green card written into the contract to move you to the US, say "after 24 months of satisfactory performance", and (ii) apply at least a year before the end of the period of your L-1 …. 2 years before would be better.

* There are a few rare exceptions, mostly related to technology skills. …. Or if you have $500,000 to invest throw away, on an Eb-5 investment visa.
Thank you, your response is really helpful

I certainly do not have $500,000 to throw away, so will be relying on my employer with the Green Card application.

Thank you again
Old Mar 28th 2019, 3:27 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Littlerayofsunshine
Thank you, your response is really helpful

I certainly do not have $500,000 to throw away, so will be relying on my employer with the Green Card application.

Thank you again
You're welcome.
Old Mar 29th 2019, 12:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

robtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond repute

L1A or B?

I transferred on the L1A in late 2016, while it wasn't in my contract for the Green Card, I did have written conversations showing approval of such approach, and the company began the process in August last year. The process & requirements are very similar, almost identical, for the L1A and the EB1C. At a big four, they almost certainly have a Blanket Approval in place as well, which should make the L visa application a lot smoother as well, and a decent set of lawyers in place who will do a lot of the legwork around the paperwork for you. You'll also be able to tap into a number of people who have gone through the process before with the company.