L1 visa extension

Old Mar 1st 2019, 6:12 pm
Forum Regular

jammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond repute
Default L1 visa extension

Hi BE,

I'm currently almost 2 years into my L1-B visa with my wife alongside me on L2.

I've read that current extension processing times are reaching 9 months, so presume our attornies will be kicking off the extension process within the next 3-6 months.

My question is if we will need to go back to the US embassy in London to reinterview for the extension and if it is essential that my wife comes with me?
Old Mar 1st 2019, 6:32 pm
Forum Regular

CA-NY has a reputation beyond reputeCA-NY has a reputation beyond reputeCA-NY has a reputation beyond reputeCA-NY has a reputation beyond reputeCA-NY has a reputation beyond reputeCA-NY has a reputation beyond reputeCA-NY has a reputation beyond reputeCA-NY has a reputation beyond reputeCA-NY has a reputation beyond reputeCA-NY has a reputation beyond reputeCA-NY has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: L1 visa extension

Pretty sure you only need to go to the Embassy if your petition is going to expire as well. So even though the visa was for 3 years, if your PED is for 5 years, you don't need to go to the Embassy. But if it turns out you do need to visit the Embassy, then yes both of you need to attend.
Old Mar 1st 2019, 7:24 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Are you looking for status in the US or do you need a visa?
Old Mar 4th 2019, 1:26 pm
Forum Regular

jammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Are you looking for status in the US or do you need a visa?
I'm sorry I don't understand the question.

I'm looking to extend my current L1-B visa for the additional 2 years that it allows.
Old Mar 4th 2019, 1:34 pm
Account Closed

Status allows you to stay in the US, a Visa also allows you to come and go.
Old Mar 4th 2019, 2:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

GeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jammiie
I'm sorry I don't understand the question.

I'm looking to extend my current L1-B visa for the additional 2 years that it allows.
The visa and the status are different things that have different expirations.

With an L1 often the visa is valid for 5 years, even though the underlying status expires after 3.

I suspect the expiry date you're about to hit is the expiry date for the status, not the visa.
Old Mar 5th 2019, 1:32 pm
Forum Regular

Ah OK, then yes it is the status that needs extending after 3 years for an additional 2 years which is the limit for L1-B.

Do I need to visit the embassy in London to do this?
Old Mar 5th 2019, 1:44 pm
Account Closed

Just wondering where the Company Immigration Lawyer is and why you are being left in the lurch.
Old Mar 5th 2019, 6:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jammiie
Ah OK, then yes it is the status that needs extending after 3 years for an additional 2 years which is the limit for L1-B.

Do I need to visit the embassy in London to do this?
You do not need to visit the embassy as long as it is your PED date that is expiring, not your underlying L1 expiry.

It is common practice that they'll issue an L1 with a 5 year date and a 3 year PED, then extend the PED by 2 years.

That being said; your company must file this for you, so their immigration lawyer should be advising the next steps here.
Old Mar 11th 2019, 1:24 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Boiler
Just wondering where the Company Immigration Lawyer is and why you are being left in the lurch.
I was hoping that the forum might provide me with a simple answer before I took the question through any official channels. After all, isn't that what BE is for?

Originally Posted by TheKingOfHearts
You do not need to visit the embassy as long as it is your PED date that is expiring, not your underlying L1 expiry.

It is common practice that they'll issue an L1 with a 5 year date and a 3 year PED, then extend the PED by 2 years.

That being said; your company must file this for you, so their immigration lawyer should be advising the next steps here.
I have now reached out to our in-house counsel and they have advised that I WILL have to visit the U.S. Embassy in London.

The response was that my initial visa was issued for a period of 3 years and as such, a renewal for the additional 2 years will require a visit under our company's Blanket L agreement.