Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

L1 visa appointment from UK and the risk of rejection due to travel restrictions

L1 visa appointment from UK and the risk of rejection due to travel restrictions

Old Sep 9th 2021, 9:06 pm
Forum Regular

Itwillrain has a reputation beyond reputeItwillrain has a reputation beyond reputeItwillrain has a reputation beyond reputeItwillrain has a reputation beyond reputeItwillrain has a reputation beyond reputeItwillrain has a reputation beyond reputeItwillrain has a reputation beyond reputeItwillrain has a reputation beyond reputeItwillrain has a reputation beyond reputeItwillrain has a reputation beyond reputeItwillrain has a reputation beyond repute
Default L1 visa appointment from UK and the risk of rejection due to travel restrictions

Finally, I saw some light at the end of the tunnel. After waiting for more than a year for the L1-B visa appointment, I finally got an appointment. The appointment is scheduled for Oct 2021. My case would not quality as a national interest exception.

I was happy. Thought there is light at the end of the tunnel. My happiness was short lived as my firm’s lawyer told me that even though the Presidential Proclamation (10052) which temporarily suspended the entry of H1-B, L1 expired on March 31, the L1 visa from UK will still get rejected. This is because of the travel restriction exemption on the UK.

Not sure if that is true (rejecting L1 visa because of travel restriction even through the L1/H1-B ban has expired)?

Please share any intel on this or a recent experience on non-NIE category getting L1 visa approval from the UK.

Thanks.
Old Sep 9th 2021, 9:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

destone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: L1 visa appointment from UK and the risk of rejection due to travel restrict

Originally Posted by Itwillrain
Finally, I saw some light at the end of the tunnel. After waiting for more than a year for the L1-B visa appointment, I finally got an appointment. The appointment is scheduled for Oct 2021. My case would not quality as a national interest exception.

I was happy. Thought there is light at the end of the tunnel. My happiness was short lived as my firm’s lawyer told me that even though the Presidential Proclamation (10052) which temporarily suspended the entry of H1-B, L1 expired on March 31, the L1 visa from UK will still get rejected. This is because of the travel restriction exemption on the UK.

Not sure if that is true (rejecting L1 visa because of travel restriction even through the L1/H1-B ban has expired)?

Please share any intel on this or a recent experience on non-NIE category getting L1 visa approval from the UK.

Thanks.
The two are unrelated. If you secured an appointment without an NIE your visa can be issued but you’ll still have to transit via a qualifying 3rd country.
Old Sep 9th 2021, 9:54 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: L1 visa appointment from UK and the risk of rejection due to travel restrict

Originally Posted by destone
The two are unrelated. If you secured an appointment without an NIE your visa can be issued but you’ll still have to transit via a qualifying 3rd country.
Not really a “transit” it’s an entry in to the non banned country.. and then 14 day/night stay there and then travel on to the US.

In aviation, transit passengers are defined as passengers who use other airports for less than 24 hours to get to their destination to complete their journey. ... Passengers who will have international transfers must know whether the country of transit requires a visa.”

Last edited by tht; Sep 9th 2021 at 9:57 pm.
Old Sep 9th 2021, 10:15 pm
Forum Regular

Itwillrain has a reputation beyond reputeItwillrain has a reputation beyond reputeItwillrain has a reputation beyond reputeItwillrain has a reputation beyond reputeItwillrain has a reputation beyond reputeItwillrain has a reputation beyond reputeItwillrain has a reputation beyond reputeItwillrain has a reputation beyond reputeItwillrain has a reputation beyond reputeItwillrain has a reputation beyond reputeItwillrain has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks. That's what I thought and I pointed to the lawyers. But they kept saying the visa would get rejected because of the UK travel restrictions. Asked me to wait for the restrictions to be lifted and then apply.
It is all so confusing.
Old Sep 9th 2021, 10:20 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by tht
Not really a “transit” it’s an entry in to the non banned country.. and then 14 day/night stay there and then travel on to the US.

In aviation, transit passengers are defined as passengers who use other airports for less than 24 hours to get to their destination to complete their journey. ... Passengers who will have international transfers must know whether the country of transit requires a visa.”

​​​​​Thanks. I get your point on transit vs entry. So an entry into non banned country, stay stay for 14 days/nights would be the solution.

Old Sep 10th 2021, 6:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

destone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tht

If you followed my previous posts on this forum you’d know that that’s what I meant.
Old Sep 10th 2021, 8:16 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

If you followed my previous posts on this forum you’d know that that’s what I meant.
Sorry, I have seen lots of posts by you, I thought all your travel before being greened was with a NI exemption because it was deemed of vital national interest to the US, not via a 14 day holiday in Mexico either way you can’t assume an OP is going to trawl back through your previous posts, so it’s better to give the “complete” answer rather than a partial one when possible.