L1 Visa appointment

Old Apr 3rd 2017, 9:49 am
Forum Regular

hannahc16 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default L1 Visa appointment

Hello,

so my o/h has been approved for a 3 year L1 visa and myself the L2.

we have our interview next Monday however his passport is only valid for 2 years.

has anyone been in this situation and if so how do you work around it.

thanks
Old Apr 3rd 2017, 10:11 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: L1 Visa appointment

I don't see a problem?

Rene
Old Apr 3rd 2017, 10:38 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hannahc16
we have our interview next Monday however his passport is only valid for 2 years.
If you haven't yet had an interview, the visas haven't yet been approved.

has anyone been in this situation and if so how do you work around it.
In 2 years, he can get a new passport and carry both passports... one valid for travel, one with the valid visa in it.

Ian
Old Apr 3rd 2017, 10:42 am
Forum Regular

hannahc16 is an unknown quantity at this point

ok that's great thank you

I just didn't know if passport was only for 2 years they would only give a 2 year visa rather than a 3
Old Apr 3rd 2017, 10:46 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hannahc16
I just didn't know if passport was only for 2 years they would only give a 2 year visa rather than a 3
Ah... well, they might only provide a 2-year visa... nothing you can do about that. What's important, however, is the I-94 that you'll get (electronically, likely) when you enter the US. A visa is nothing more than a travel document. It's the I-94 that determines how long you're able to remain in the US.

Ian
Old Apr 3rd 2017, 6:05 pm
Forum Regular

fbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond repute

They will surely only give a 2 year visa but like Ian said, the I-94 is what determines his stay in the US. He'd then have to get a new visa stamp for the remaining 1 year on his new passport, if he intends to travel in and out of the US at that time.
Old Apr 3rd 2017, 8:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Fred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to all

Our last L visa expiry date was issued past the expiry of passports
However the I94 on entry says admitted too, the expiry date on passports, not the visa expiry date
So you will need to get that new passport done and file extensions. We are going through this now. Extensions can take some months to process
Old Apr 4th 2017, 10:10 am
Forum Regular

jammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in a similar situation and had 18 months remaining on my passport. I decided to head down to Peterborough and pay £128 for a same-day turnaround on a new passport. They also added 9 months extra on to this new one so I have until December 2027 now and wont have to worry about filing for a new passport when in the US and getting a new visa stamp etc.