Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

L1 Transfer - Are We On The Right Track?

Wikiposts

L1 Transfer - Are We On The Right Track?

Old May 26th 2007, 2:01 am
Just Joined

OberonSH is an unknown quantity at this point
Default L1 Transfer - Are We On The Right Track?

Hi all,

Here's our situation, we're pretty confident we're on the right track, but would like a 'fresh pair of eyes' on the situation.

Me & my partner are directors of our UK based Ltd company. It was made Ltd start of may, to give a definate setup date. It's a british goods export business. Currently employs us, plus a part timer. He's going full time, along with another possibly 2 members of staff before next may.

Next may we intend to ether buy a cafe or start one up, as a natural extention of the current british goods business, and appy for an L1 once we hit the years trading in the UK. In the meantime, we'd like to set up an LLC in florida exporting US goods to the UK. This could wait until we move over, but we're under the impression that once both sides of the business hit a years trading, you can apply for a GC, thus negating the need for a renewal. So if the US side hits a year before we move, we can apply straight off for our GC.

A visa company (who we're not using btw) advised us that all the US compnay would have to do is recieve money to qualify as 'trading' ie. the us side could recieve the payments whilst the order fulfillment was carried out in the UK. Sounds a bit too simple for my liking, but would negate the need to find suppliers, premises etc in the states.

So what's your take on this. Are we on the right track? I don't want to spend a year running round like a mad thing to everything organised then to find out I've set it all up wrong!!!
Old May 26th 2007, 2:53 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: L1 Transfer - Are We On The Right Track?

Not enough employees for a L-1 ....
Old May 28th 2007, 10:00 pm
Just Joined

I know of at least one visa been issued recently with no employees whatsoever, except the transferees.
Old May 29th 2007, 2:06 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OberonSH
I know of at least one visa been issued recently with no employees whatsoever, except the transferees.
Umm .. Are you sure what they claimed on their application ...
If their is no employees how can the existing business stay in operation ...
Old May 29th 2007, 2:36 am
Just Joined

Apologies, let me rephrase that - There were 2 employees, 1 stayed in the UK, 1 came across on the L1. Of course I don't know the exact ins and outs, but I have no reason to think she'd make it up for the hell of it. Thanks for the input though.

Anyways, employees apart can anyone spot any glaring obvious boo-boos in our plans? The only sticking point I'm worried about is the whole 'doing business' for the US side, which I've posted about separately. (Does taking the orders & payments in on the US side, and basically invoicing the UK side to fulfill and dispatch count as trading, or does that come too close to 'being an agent'?)