L1 and spouse!

Old Sep 5th 2008, 12:04 pm
Just Joined

simmo2010 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default L1 and spouse!

Hi all!

Firstly what a great forum, love it!

My question to everyone is I have been offered the opportunity to work for my copmany in Atlanta and am really excited! However I have a girlfriend and although we have been talking about marraige (been together about a year now) we hadnt planned to do so soon! However we might do if this is the only way for her to get to the US with me and work as well (we will need the money)!

Any advice would be much appreciated, my company are suggesting they will help where they can, financially etc!

Thanks

Simmo
Old Sep 5th 2008, 12:06 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: L1 and spouse!

Originally Posted by simmo2010
Hi all!

My question to everyone is I have been offered the opportunity to work for my copmany in Atlanta and am really excited! However I have a girlfriend and although we have been talking about marraige (been together about a year now) we hadnt planned to do so soon! However we might do if this is the only way for her to get to the US with me and work as well (we will need the money)!

Any advice would be much appreciated, my company are suggesting they will help where they can, financially etc!

Thanks

Simmo
Have a great wedding .... or leave her behind
Old Sep 5th 2008, 12:10 pm
Just Joined

Any idea how long we would have to be married etc?
Old Sep 5th 2008, 12:13 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Before you make the visa application...
you will probably be L-1 and her L-2
Old Sep 5th 2008, 12:16 pm
Resident Sillycow

mellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond repute

we also just moved to atlanta 6 months ago. we got married in jan and had our visa interview the next week - no problems there.
Old Sep 5th 2008, 12:18 pm
Resident Sillycow

mellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all!

Thanks

Simmo

also...she will be L2 - and with have to apply for her work authorisation once she gets here - takes *roughly* 3 months - then she has to find a job!!

I would check to make sure that your company are willing to pay all the costs of moving your wife as well - visa, work permit ect ect as it can add up!!

Last edited by mellybrown; Sep 5th 2008 at 12:40 pm.
Old Sep 5th 2008, 12:21 pm
Just Joined

Hey Thanks Mel! Any advice on Atlanta? I am pretty sure my company will cover it, but if you could suggest any costs or even companies you may have used to get the visas etc (although I was under the impression the company filed all this?)?

Cheers

Simmo
Old Sep 5th 2008, 12:36 pm
Resident Sillycow

Hey Thanks Mel! Any advice on Atlanta? I am pretty sure my company will cover it, but if you could suggest any costs or even companies you may have used to get the visas etc (although I was under the impression the company filed all this?)?

Cheers

Simmo
yes your company will file for the visas for you - then you will both go to the embassy to have your interviews - I am the L2 and I didnt have to answer any questions, they just wanted to know about my husband! Then when you get here you can both go to the social security office and get your social security numbers, and your wife will apply for her EAD (work authorisation) Mine was done by my husbands company lawyers and it came through REALLY quick.

What company do you work for and where are they based???

Last edited by mellybrown; Sep 5th 2008 at 12:41 pm.
Old Sep 5th 2008, 12:38 pm
Ray

Originally Posted by mellybrown
, and your gf will apply for her EAD (???
No ..his wife will ...well need his marriage cert ...
Old Sep 5th 2008, 12:39 pm
Resident Sillycow

Originally Posted by Ray
No ..his wife will ...well need his marriage cert ...
well ye - i was talking in the present tense...i have edited just for you

you will indeed need your marriage cert - altho they didnt seem to know what mine was hahaha
Old Sep 6th 2008, 1:58 am
BE Enthusiast

dh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of light

Number 1 piece of advice: Live as close to where your company office as you can. Traffic here is the worst in the USA. Where you going to be based?
Old Sep 6th 2008, 2:05 pm
Resident Sillycow

Originally Posted by dh010447
Number 1 piece of advice: Live as close to where your company office as you can. Traffic here is the worst in the USA. Where you going to be based?
heh ye we pay the price to live 5 mins from hubbys office!
Old Sep 6th 2008, 3:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

dh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by mellybrown
heh ye we pay the price to live 5 mins from hubbys office!
5 minutes would be great... When I was in the UK I walked to my office... Now its a 35-40 min drive, via my wife's office...
Old Sep 6th 2008, 5:01 pm
US immigration lawyer.

JCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond repute

I have a girlfriend and although we have been talking about marraige (been together about a year now) we hadnt planned to do so soon! However we might do if this is the only way for her to get to the US with me and work as well (we will need the money)!
Your gf could attempt to come to the USA as a VWP entry, or apply for a B-2 visitor visa. I would not hold much hope for the B-2, although it's possible. However, neither a VWP or a B-2 has employment authorization. I counsel against working "under the table."

I generally advise people to think BEYOND THE VISA when considering marriage. Yes, it would be nice for the gf to be with you. Yes, it would be nice to have her added income. Yes, it would be nice. If you have known each other for a year -- well, you two are the best judges of whether you're ready to marry. "Marry in haste; repent at leisure."

If you two decide you ARE ready to be married, then mazel tov!

There is no minimum time requirement. You could marry on Monday and apply for your visas at Grosvenor Squre on Tuesday, provided you had the certified copy of your marriage certificate.

--J Craig Fong
Los Angeles, CA
Old Sep 19th 2008, 5:03 am
Just Joined

hey guys sorry took me so long to come back but i didnt get any more emails telling me about replys! I am going to be working in Fayertville (spelling wrong but who cares)! going to try and live in midtown or buckhead, just rent an apartment for now...

with regards marraige personally i feel you should do anything to enrich your life and if that is what i need to do then i will do it to enjoy living in the states.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.