Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

L1 Renewal - London Passport Return Time

L1 Renewal - London Passport Return Time

Old Apr 15th 2011, 12:22 am
Forum Regular

sportaxi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default L1 Renewal - London Passport Return Time

Hi

Li Visa is due for renewal, have the visa done via premium processing (approx 3 weeks turn around). We are planning trip back to UK - London to get the new stamp in passport, as kids passports have less than 6 months and need renewing, so getting everything done at once. We are going to wait to get the approval first then book appointment in London and plan trip accordingly.

The question is for anyone who has recently done the renewal process in "London" how long did it take to get the passports returned back to you.
Old Apr 15th 2011, 10:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Vimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: L1 Renewal - London Passport Return Time

18 Months back it took 5 working days from my interview at the consulate to the courier knocking at the door of my sisters home.
Old Apr 15th 2011, 2:21 pm
Just Joined

FionaC will become famous soon enough

We did ours last week. Interview on the monday and passports delivered back at 1pm on friday which was quite handy as we'd booked a 4pm flight back to NYC!
Old Apr 15th 2011, 9:41 pm
Texas Pete

pwhite8314 is just really nicepwhite8314 is just really nicepwhite8314 is just really nicepwhite8314 is just really nicepwhite8314 is just really nicepwhite8314 is just really nicepwhite8314 is just really nicepwhite8314 is just really nice

That's good to hear, I have my (extension) interview on Monday, and have allowed 10 working days for it's return, but, forgetting that there's 4 public holidays! I can move my flight if I have to, but would much rather not.

On a related note, the website is exceptionally clear that taking a mobile phone, or anything electric, will delay entry to the consulate. I understand the reasons why, but is it really that much of a bad thing, or do they just take your phone until the interview is complete (which is fine by me).
Old Apr 15th 2011, 9:58 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pwhite8314
That's good to hear, I have my (extension) interview on Monday, and have allowed 10 working days for it's return, but, forgetting that there's 4 public holidays! I can move my flight if I have to, but would much rather not.

On a related note, the website is exceptionally clear that taking a mobile phone, or anything electric, will delay entry to the consulate. I understand the reasons why, but is it really that much of a bad thing, or do they just take your phone until the interview is complete (which is fine by me).
They won't let you in the building with electronics.

You can check them (for a fee) at Gould's Pharmacy, down the street.
Old Apr 17th 2011, 12:08 pm
Forum Regular

sportaxi is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks All with the information, couldn't quite remember how long it look from the initial visa interview and issue.
Old Apr 18th 2011, 9:58 am
Forum Regular

Kats. is just really niceKats. is just really niceKats. is just really niceKats. is just really niceKats. is just really niceKats. is just really niceKats. is just really niceKats. is just really nice

I had my L2 interview a few weeks ago (the initial one, not renewal) on a Friday and had my passport returned the following Thursday.
Old Apr 18th 2011, 12:08 pm
Texas Pete

pwhite8314 is just really nicepwhite8314 is just really nicepwhite8314 is just really nicepwhite8314 is just really nicepwhite8314 is just really nicepwhite8314 is just really nicepwhite8314 is just really nicepwhite8314 is just really nice

Just some feedback on my visit to the US London Embassy today...

Arrived around 8.15 for a 9.00 appointment (L1 Renewal). There were maybe 30 people in front of me. Started to filter in around 8.30, and I was through security just before 9. Anyone that had a phone, keyfob, headphones etc was turned away by security, and told to go visit one of 2 chemists nearby that would store the electronics, and then come back.

Once inside, I only had to wait maybe 20 minutes to be called up for the first part of the i/v, which is just a document check and fingerprint capture. The P/A system is constantly announcing numbers, so keep your ears open. Something to note, this is when they also give you the form to complete for the courier delivery, so if you don't know the full address of when you want it delivered (even though you already completed that as part of the on-line process), then make sure you have a note of it somewhere. Sounds obvious, but without my phone I'm practically useless when it comes to details like that!

After another 30 minutes or so, I was called for the second i/v, which was a fingerprint scan, and some basic questions about my job - nothing at all to worry about (nor was it on my original L1 interview).

Once that's done, you go to the couriers desk in the visa waiting hall, select what delivery option you want (the only choices are before 9, before 10.30 and before 12, or all day - no choice on date, obviously), pay, and leave.

So that was it - all very uneventful, and aside from the wait outside, took just an hour or so. Luckily the weather was nice enough, the wait wouldn't be much fun in the rain.

Hope this all helps someone. Take a magazine or book (the analogue, paper kind ) to amuse yourself during the wait.

Last edited by pwhite8314; Apr 18th 2011 at 12:08 pm. Reason: typo