Wikiposts

L1 Questions

Old Oct 28th 2007, 4:44 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: L1 Questions

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Yeah, I liked the 30/60 rule part myself, knowing that it isn't gospel.
It's FAM gospel, though irrelevant here.
Old Oct 28th 2007, 8:35 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Yeah, I liked the 30/60 rule part myself, knowing that it isn't gospel.

Still, I'm assuming that the dual intent doctrine (which itself is a good page) applies to L visas. If THAT part isn't right, then.... I did check a few other sources, all of which say that L visas are dual intent (explicitly allowing L holders to apply for PR status without having to leave the country and apply/get a dual intent visa to return).
Hi:

The concept of "dual intent" was developed in the late 1980's and was a bone of contention -- mostly in the "H" & "L" arenas. The 1990 amendments obviated the necessity in the "H" & "L" arenas. Also, there is no "dual" intent in the "K" arena -- there is but a single intent, which is to marry within 90 days for the K-1, or to live in the US pending adjudication of an I-130. Nothing "dual" about that.

However, there is confusion raised by "non-immigrant intent" as meaning "I don't intend to live here permanently." An "immigrant" is NOT defined as a person coming to live in the US permanently -- rather it is ANY alien who does not fit within the described non-immigrant classifications. There is a SEPARATE definition of "lawfully admitted for permanent residence". Lets put this way, Queen Elizabeth is an "immigrant" under the US definition, and a lawful one at that.
Old Oct 28th 2007, 10:30 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Orangepants
So I spoke to our lawyer and confirmed the facts - I would not be eligible to apply for L1 unless I get my a... back to the UK for 8 months with no visits to the US. So suggestion is H1b but she says that as it's so popular it's now a bit of a lottery, although her success rate last year was 83%. She was unaware of my personal arrangements and had no idea I was spending time here.
I have to take the H1B route - does time in the States factor into this visa? Any tips for completing a great application.?
Really appreciate the insight that you guys give and has made me realise one very important thing- research and be more involved!!
Did the lawyer tell you how expensive the visa is for the sponsoring company? It's a big chunk of cash they could be throwing down the toilet if you don't get it. The 65K visa's last year were filled within a day of being opened, I think there were twice as many that were junked because of the quota. Also more time consuming and expensive route to greencard on the H....you'd be better off sucking it up and spending the 8 months in the UK to get the L1 visa tbh.
Old Oct 28th 2007, 11:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

I work for an Investment Bank that's just wiped $1.3billion off their balance sheet in 3Q.!! I dont think $5k will kill them - that's a bit of a selfish way to see it I know.
I see what you're saying - grin and bear it for a possibly more assured route than take the chance. Wachovia may tell me that - it may not be my decision. Thanks...
Old Oct 28th 2007, 1:46 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
It's a big chunk of cash they could be throwing down the toilet if you don't get it. The 65K visa's last year were filled within a day of being opened, I think there were twice as many that were junked because of the quota.
It's daunting because of how many visas go to IT "professionals" and the top recipients are Microsoft and dual-based Indian IT firms. They have a big lobby and their applications are as perfect as they can be. Personally, I think that the H-1B visa could use a little diversity in its recipients so that we get top talent in all fields rather than a lot of varying talent in one field.

I do wonder how one person or firm can achieve an 83% success rate, unless they refuse all of the best applicants and get lucky.
Old Oct 28th 2007, 2:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: L1 Questions

83% does seem a high success rate, she applied for 70 and had 12 rejected. She works soley on behalf of Wachy and they are all, I would guess, highly educated finance professionals - she is very organised and has now asked me for a shed load of info. I did ask about the IT bias as I had seen the "top twenty hirers" and she replied that they (Wachy) take their chance like everyone else and are very well prepared. She is "confident" of my application.
I would just miss my boxer puppy too much and cant bear the thought of months in the UK. I fly out there on Thursday!!
Old Oct 29th 2007, 3:18 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Orangepants
83% does seem a high success rate, she applied for 70 and had 12 rejected. She works soley on behalf of Wachy and they are all, I would guess, highly educated finance professionals - she is very organised and has now asked me for a shed load of info. I did ask about the IT bias as I had seen the "top twenty hirers" and she replied that they (Wachy) take their chance like everyone else and are very well prepared. She is "confident" of my application.
I would just miss my boxer puppy too much and cant bear the thought of months in the UK. I fly out there on Thursday!!
It's still a lottery though, you apply, they then pick them out of a hat on which to process, so it's a bold or lucky statment.