Wikiposts

L1 Questions

Old Oct 26th 2007, 2:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: L1 Denial - apply for another type?

Yes you're right I have no ties to anywhere. I no longer have status in Cayman and have no wish to return to the UK. If this visa doesn't work out- I'd go back to Cayman.
If a visa is denied, say the L1B as I haven't fulfilled the criteria for the overseas year, amongst other things, can one apply for another visa, say the H1B? Or does the denial prevent application for another?
I think I'd better get in touch with our lawyer today!!
Old Oct 26th 2007, 3:21 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: L1 Denial - apply for another type?

Originally Posted by Orangepants
If a visa is denied, say the L1B as I haven't fulfilled the criteria for the overseas year, amongst other things, can one apply for another visa, say the H1B? Or does the denial prevent application for another?
I think I'd better get in touch with our lawyer today!!
Me too!

If you are denied the L1B it won't automatically mean you couldn't get the H1B unless the specific reason for denying the L1B would also be used to deny the H1B.
Old Oct 26th 2007, 2:08 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: L1 Questions

we just came over on an L1 and showed NO proof of ties to the UK.
Old Oct 26th 2007, 10:28 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MsElui
we just came over on an L1 and showed NO proof of ties to the UK.
If I understood Folinskyinla's post correctly this is a moot point for an L visa interview. My wife and I took nothing of that nature to ours as we would have had precious little to show anyway other than a bank statement!
Old Oct 27th 2007, 1:58 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

what i also meant to say was - we were not advised by either the company law department (who have done the L1 blanket visa many times) or the visa agency to bring this kind of detail - although they told us in detail what else to bring.
Old Oct 27th 2007, 2:22 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MsElui
what i also meant to say was - we were not advised by either the company law department (who have done the L1 blanket visa many times) or the visa agency to bring this kind of detail - although they told us in detail what else to bring.
According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L-1_visa -- the L1 is a dual-intent visa (as is the H-1B). Mr F's post does seem to imply that ties to one's "home country" do not have to be produced.

What's interesting to me is the list of the top 20 L-1 visa sponsor companies.
Old Oct 27th 2007, 7:51 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by snowbunny
According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L-1_visa -- the L1 is a dual-intent visa (as is the H-1B). Mr F's post does seem to imply that ties to one's "home country" do not have to be produced.

What's interesting to me is the list of the top 20 L-1 visa sponsor companies.
Hi:

Interesting wiki link. Wrong in many respects, but still interesting. I think I may have to edit the damn thing. The reference to the so-called "30/60 rule" is so off-base, it isn't funny. [Please forgive me -- the way that "rule" is bandied about is a pet peeve of mine.].
Old Oct 28th 2007, 2:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: L1 Questions

So I spoke to our lawyer and confirmed the facts - I would not be eligible to apply for L1 unless I get my a... back to the UK for 8 months with no visits to the US. So suggestion is H1b but she says that as it's so popular it's now a bit of a lottery, although her success rate last year was 83%. She was unaware of my personal arrangements and had no idea I was spending time here.
I have to take the H1B route - does time in the States factor into this visa? Any tips for completing a great application.?
Really appreciate the insight that you guys give and has made me realise one very important thing- research and be more involved!!
Old Oct 28th 2007, 3:47 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

So I spoke to our lawyer and confirmed the facts - I would not be eligible to apply for L1 unless I get my a... back to the UK for 8 months with no visits to the US. So suggestion is H1b but she says that as it's so popular it's now a bit of a lottery, although her success rate last year was 83%. She was unaware of my personal arrangements and had no idea I was spending time here.
I have to take the H1B route - does time in the States factor into this visa? Any tips for completing a great application.?
Really appreciate the insight that you guys give and has made me realise one very important thing- research and be more involved!!
How would the H-1B be any faster? I think you wouldn't be able to get the US to work for another 11 months.
Old Oct 28th 2007, 4:01 am
BE Forum Addict

She said she could submit April and if approved ready for Oct 1 - so yes 11 months. But at least I could come and go and spend time here as my house, boyfriend, dog etc are here. I have nowhere to live permanently in the UK as well as paying a mortgage here. Although some may say.. that is the sacrifice you have to make. If only I had a crystal ball so I could know what the best option would be.!!
Old Oct 28th 2007, 4:09 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

But you're not meant to be living in the US for the next 11 months....
Old Oct 28th 2007, 4:31 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

If only I had a crystal ball so I could know what the best option would be.!!
Is the bf a US citizen?
Old Oct 28th 2007, 4:33 am
Lapine Member

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Interesting wiki link. Wrong in many respects, but still interesting. I think I may have to edit the damn thing.
Yeah, I liked the 30/60 rule part myself, knowing that it isn't gospel.

Still, I'm assuming that the dual intent doctrine (which itself is a good page) applies to L visas. If THAT part isn't right, then.... I did check a few other sources, all of which say that L visas are dual intent (explicitly allowing L holders to apply for PR status without having to leave the country and apply/get a dual intent visa to return).
Old Oct 28th 2007, 4:33 am
Lapine Member

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Is the bf a US citizen?
do keep up! British on an H-1B -> marriage -> H-4.
Old Oct 28th 2007, 4:42 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
do keep up! British on an H-1B -> marriage -> H-4.
So that's outta the window! H4 work if you're telecommuting is an interesting conundrum.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.