L1 question re partnership

Old Nov 25th 2010, 6:06 pm
Just Joined

casablanca83 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default L1 question re partnership

Hi all,
I have a question regarding share holdings of a subsidiary office on the L1 Visa.
My husband owns a UK business with a partner - they both own 50% each.
Is it possible for my husband to open the office in USA and control 100% of that new office. Or event if he owns 50% and I own 50%
Any advice much appreciated.
thanks

Ps. we meet all the requirements for L1, turnover, employees etc....
Old Nov 25th 2010, 8:51 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: L1 question re partnership

anyone? :-)
Old Nov 25th 2010, 11:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Patience...it's Thanksgiving Day here and everyone is busy stuffing themselves with turkey and watching football
Old Nov 25th 2010, 11:40 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by casablanca83 View Post
anyone? :-)
What? You can't even wait 3 full hours? Although, I guess it's now going on 6 full hours. It's a federal holiday in the US... people are spending time with their families... and you can wait. The earth isn't going shatter meantime.

Ian

Last edited by ian-mstm; Nov 25th 2010 at 11:43 pm.
Old Nov 26th 2010, 12:36 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

As I understand it the UK Company would need at least 50% and ultimate control.

Something to talk to your lawyer about.
Old Nov 26th 2010, 5:55 am
Just Joined

ah - happy thanksgiving then :-)
Old Nov 26th 2010, 6:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Flabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond repute

we were in a very similar situation .
uk company 50/50 split with UK partner
we were advised that the UK company not me as an individual had to own a minimum of 51% of the US one.its a company transfer so the UK company has to own the US one.

best advice run through it with your lawyer before setting up the US side, if we had sorted it out better we would have saved a LOT of hassle
Old Nov 26th 2010, 11:39 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Flabound oneday View Post
we were in a very similar situation .
uk company 50/50 split with UK partner
we were advised that the UK company not me as an individual had to own a minimum of 51% of the US one.its a company transfer so the UK company has to own the US one.

best advice run through it with your lawyer before setting up the US side, if we had sorted it out better we would have saved a LOT of hassle
It is a good idea to get good advice.
Old Nov 27th 2010, 6:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Flabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky View Post
It is a good idea to get good advice.
presumably good advice from a good lawyer ?
Old Dec 8th 2010, 1:34 pm
Forum Regular

heather123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by casablanca83 View Post
Hi all,
I have a question regarding share holdings of a subsidiary office on the L1 Visa.
My husband owns a UK business with a partner - they both own 50% each.
Is it possible for my husband to open the office in USA and control 100% of that new office. Or event if he owns 50% and I own 50%
Any advice much appreciated.
thanks

Ps. we meet all the requirements for L1, turnover, employees etc....
Hi there
We are looking to apply for the L visa next year. I see that your blog states that you meet all the requirements for the L1 visa (turnover, employees etc) If possible can you please let me know what the turnover/employees and any other criteria has to be, as we have been told by attorneys and a sucessful applicant that there is no specific criteria as it all depends on the type of UK business and the new U.S business.

Many Thanks
Old Dec 8th 2010, 2:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

what you have been told is correct.

if you own or part own the UK company they will want to see that it can continue to trade without you. there is no minimum number of employees or turnover but the company needs to be stable and succesful.

the US company -presume it is a start up- must be owned at least 51% by the UK company (not by 'you').

defintely have a good laywer on baord before you start
Old Dec 8th 2010, 2:25 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Flabound oneday View Post
what you have been told is correct.

if you own or part own the UK company they will want to see that it can continue to trade without you. there is no minimum number of employees or turnover but the company needs to be stable and succesful.

the US company -presume it is a start up- must be owned at least 51% by the UK company (not by 'you').

defintely have a good laywer on baord before you start
51%?? Where did you get that? I told you to get good advice.