L1 & L2 visa timeline help

Old May 15th 2019, 3:07 pm
Just Joined

Izzet_1884 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default L1 & L2 visa timeline help

Hello,

I am currently going through the process of moving to NY on an L1 visa, with my wife coming along on an L2 visa.

We were hoping to head out for a short trip around a month before my employment start date, to look for an apartment and submit her EAD form as soon as possible. I was wondering if anyone could please help on a questions:

1) How many days prior to my start date would my wife and I be able to enter the US on the L1 visa (if there is cap at all)?
2) From a bit of research, it seems to take quite a while to get an EAD completed at the moment - does anybody have an estimate of how long it currently takes?
3) I read a very useful (although slightly outdated) thread, detailed below, on somebody expediting their I-765 application - is this an exception or is this considered a feasible option if there is a job offer on the table?

Any help on the above is much appreciated - thanks in advance!

(Thread title mentioned above (can't add url): 'Successful experience expediting a I-765 application')
Old May 15th 2019, 3:20 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: L1 & L2 visa timeline help

Originally Posted by Izzet_1884
Hello,

I am currently going through the process of moving to NY on an L1 visa, with my wife coming along on an L2 visa.

We were hoping to head out for a short trip around a month before my employment start date, to look for an apartment and submit her EAD form as soon as possible.
She cannot apply for an EAD until she has entered the POE and has had her visa activated/stamped. So cannot apply while here on a fact finding mission.

I was wondering if anyone could please help on a questions:

1) How many days prior to my start date would my wife and I be able to enter the US on the L1 visa (if there is cap at all)?
No time limit. Just know if you have the visa in your passport they might want to activate it when you enter.

2) From a bit of research, it seems to take quite a while to get an EAD completed at the moment - does anybody have an estimate of how long it currently takes?
Anywhere from 4 to 10 months.

3) I read a very useful (although slightly outdated) thread, detailed below, on somebody expediting their I-765 application - is this an exception or is this considered a feasible option if there is a job offer on the table?
Yes, it can be done with the reasons are there, i.e. over the time limit suggested by USCIS, loss of income will decimate the family, etc.

Any help on the above is much appreciated - thanks in advance!

(Thread title mentioned above (can't add url): 'Successful experience expediting a I-765 application')
Old May 15th 2019, 3:23 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

That thread Successful experience expediting a I-765 application was by tom169. Altogether different situation than your wife's. She will be here on an L2 visa while Tom was adjusting status based to marriage to a US citizen.
Old May 15th 2019, 3:54 pm
Just Joined

Izzet_1884 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rete
She cannot apply for an EAD until she has entered the POE and has had her visa activated/stamped. So cannot apply while here on a fact finding mission.

No time limit. Just know if you have the visa in your passport they might want to activate it when you enter.

Anywhere from 4 to 10 months.

Yes, it can be done with the reasons are there, i.e. over the time limit suggested by USCIS, loss of income will decimate the family, etc.
Thank you very much Rete, much appreciated.

That makes sense re: EAD - we were planning on going over once we have both visas and getting them activated, doing the fact finding etc., coming back to the UK ~1 month, and then myself moving out there, with her coming out a few months later.

Also noted that tom169's situation was different to my wife's. Hopefully she will have a job offer etc. soon and we can look to expedite the application so it happens quicker than 4-10 months.

Thanks again for your help.

Old May 15th 2019, 4:11 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

An Expedite is quite normal, probably one of the reasons why the regular process is getting longer.

Quite easy to get a job offer.
Old May 15th 2019, 8:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Fred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to all

Not related to your question, but do check you passport expiry dates
If they expire this year, do the renewals before you start down the process

Makes like so much easier when you arrive
Old May 15th 2019, 8:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

GeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond repute

I think 4-10 months for the EAD sounds pessimistic.

if you apply for an L-2 EAD in NYC you’re application will be routed to the Vermont Service Centre.

USCIS is currently quoting 1.5 months - 5 months for processing an application there.

Ive applied for an EAD in NYC twice now. Once to apply the first time and another to renew. In my case it took 42 days and 60 days respectively.

That was in Feb 2017 and October 2018.