L1/L2 at port of entry

Old Jun 1st 2012, 6:07 am
Forum Regular

Katsu is an unknown quantity at this point
Default L1/L2 at port of entry

My husband and I got our visas this week

What should we expect on arriving in the US (San Francisco)? The L1 visa says 'must present approved I-129S at POE', which is straightforward enough, but are there any other documents we should have with us? What is stamped in our passports and are we given any other documentation upon arrival? Anything we should check at the time e.g. dates/correct bits of paper etc?

Finally, if I (L2 holder) travel out/in of the US on my own, I presume I don't need the I-129S (since it doesn't say this on my visa) or should I take it just in case?

I'm sure it will all seem very obvious once we've done it (if we ever get there... Olympics chaos in London is causing shipping headaches apparently)

Thanks!

Last edited by Katsu; Jun 1st 2012 at 6:09 am.
Old Jun 1st 2012, 8:55 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: L1/L2 at port of entry

Originally Posted by Katsu
What should we expect on arriving in the US (San Francisco)?
Is San Francisco your final stop, or do you have a direct flight from London to San Francisco? You will be processed wherever you first land in the US.

Ian
Old Jun 1st 2012, 9:07 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for your reply. We will be flying direct to San Francisco from London so I'm wondering what will happen upon our arrival there. Having done that flight a few times before I know how tired and grumpy I am likely to be so want to make sure I have exactly the right documents, know what to expect and leave with all the right bits of paper...
Old Jun 1st 2012, 10:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Flabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond repute

on advice I carried EVERYTHING related to the visa application in hand luggage - a bloody big wadge of paper. the IO looked at the visa in my PP asked' first admission on the visa' a-yes, 'what line of business?' a-construction and 'whats your official title' a- senior manager....then well welcome to the US and good luck........................never needed a single scrap of paper ,but its better to be prepared
Old Jun 1st 2012, 10:09 am
Back home at last!

Pombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud of

Finally, if I (L2 holder) travel out/in of the US on my own, I presume I don't need the I-129S (since it doesn't say this on my visa) or should I take it just in case?
I would take a copy in case. I got sent to secondary questioning once when I was travelling without my husband because the computer at SFO immigration couldn't match my L2 to his L1 and I didn't have his information with me. It wasn't a big deal, and I was in and out of secondary questioning very quickly (the computer in there found the information without any problems) but it stressed me and the kids out at the time.
Old Jun 1st 2012, 11:47 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for your replies!

Originally Posted by Flabound oneday
on advice I carried EVERYTHING related to the visa application in hand luggage
Yes, I can see why that might be sensible. Just want to make sure the right papers are accessible.

Originally Posted by Pombat
I would take a copy in case.
Great - is a photocopy acceptable do you know, or would they want to see an original stamped/signed version?

Now we're closer to leaving I can feel a million more questions coming on...
Old Jun 2nd 2012, 2:13 am
Back home at last!

Pombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud of

Thanks for your replies!

Yes, I can see why that might be sensible. Just want to make sure the right papers are accessible.

Great - is a photocopy acceptable do you know, or would they want to see an original stamped/signed version?

Now we're closer to leaving I can feel a million more questions coming on...
A photocopy should be fine.
Good luck with it all!
Old Jun 2nd 2012, 2:55 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

It is a good idea if the L-1 knows where the job will be and what the duties are.

I join in taking a copy of the entire packet. If the computer gods are smiling, the minions of the Dark Forces acting as guardian of the gates will have computer access to a lot of that information already.

It is important that the L-2 spouse does NOT precede the L-1 into the States.