Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

L1-A to GC - Process and requirements

L1-A to GC - Process and requirements

Old Jun 25th 2010, 4:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

emailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really nice
Default Re: L1-A to GC - Process and requirements

Originally Posted by tht
Just an update - HR found a lawyer that I am much happier with and inside 2 weeks they prepared my I140 as an EB-1(c), this should be sent today (to Texas) which is showing as 4 months.

We did NOT submit the I485 concurrently.

I now looking for a doctor and gathering anything else i will need, are any additional supporting documents required at this stage? Birth certificate etc..?

tht
Sorry, but you can't believe the "4 months" Texas shows. The timescales vary wildly (trust me, I know). You might get lucky, you might not. Prepare to be underwhelmed with updates on your case and overwhelmed with frustration.
Old Jun 25th 2010, 5:41 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by emailrob
Sorry, but you can't believe the "4 months" Texas shows. The timescales vary wildly (trust me, I know). You might get lucky, you might not. Prepare to be underwhelmed with updates on your case and overwhelmed with frustration.
Not expecting anything like the 3 days for my L1-A. Got this in early so no big rush in any case, still have over 2.5 years on my L-1A..

Old Jun 25th 2010, 6:28 pm
US immigration lawyer.

JCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=tht;8656986We did NOT submit the I485 concurrently.[/QUOTE]

Was there any particular strategic reason for NOT submitting a combined processing?
Old Jun 25th 2010, 8:19 pm
tht

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JCraigFong
Was there any particular strategic reason for NOT submitting a combined processing?
Not sure, its what the lawyer my firm retained advised to do. I had little involvement in this, only an email with 4 questions to clarify some points.

tht
Old Jun 25th 2010, 8:55 pm
US immigration lawyer.

JCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm. Well, I am glad that things appear sorted.

--J
Old Jul 9th 2010, 9:30 pm
tht

Revived the copy of the receipt today from my employers lawyer dated the 1st of July, it is now showing as " Initial review". Registered for the email updates so now it's just a waiting game.

tht
Old Jul 12th 2010, 12:40 pm
tht

Whats is the 10 digit "number" beginning with an "A123 123 123" on the I-797C Notice of Action (Receipt Notice) for my I-140. It's listed by Beneficiary and my name. This was not on my I-797B Notice of Action (Approval Notice) for my L1A.

Thanks.

tht
Old Jul 12th 2010, 1:16 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tht
Whats is the 10 digit "number" beginning with an "A123 123 123" on the I-797C Notice of Action (Receipt Notice) for my I-140.
This is your "A"lien registration #... commonly referred to as your "A" number.

Ian
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 7:36 pm
tht

Thanks to all for all the advise so far!

I am headed back to Europe next week and want to ensure I get all the required supporting documents together for my I-485 which would be the next step after a I-140 approval.

My understanding is that the required forms are:

I-485 – Required
I-693 – Required
I-131 - Optional
I765 – Optional

My lawyer has advised me to pick up the following documents while I am in Europe:

- My long form birth certificate (I also have a formal translation as I was born in Germany)
- My certificate of Naturalization in the UK
- Any documents relating to vaccinations I had
- original certificates of disposition – N/A to me
- marriage/divorce/death certificates for current or previous spouses and birth certificates for any children – N/A to me

Are there any other documents that may help / I will need?

Thanks,

tht
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 7:54 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Military records/discharge papers, if applicable. You can look up the visa application documents to see what's required (aka I-485 requirements).

The I-131 and I-765 are optional, but they are included in the cost of the I-485 and may be excellent "CYA". Please let us know if you dont' know what those applications are for.
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 9:20 pm
tht

Originally Posted by meauxna
Military records/discharge papers, if applicable. You can look up the visa application documents to see what's required (aka I-485 requirements).

The I-131 and I-765 are optional, but they are included in the cost of the I-485 and may be excellent "CYA". Please let us know if you dont' know what those applications are for.
Thanks, none of the above apply either.. Others have explained / eluded to why the I-131 and I-765 are useful

tht
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 9:31 pm
tht

Quick update,:

- I-140 still in "initial review" since July 1st 2010.
- Lawyers filled I-485, I-131, I-765 anyway in mid October 2010
- 2 year EAD received at the end of Jan 2011
- 1 year AP received at the end of Feb 2011
- Went for an INFOPASS last week and was advised that the I-140 had been assigned to an IO on the the 2nd of March 2011 (8 months after it was received), so I am thinking I should get some response in the next couple of months.

tht

Last edited by tht; Mar 22nd 2011 at 10:03 pm.
Old Apr 9th 2011, 3:06 am
Forum Regular

SuperOwls is a name known to allSuperOwls is a name known to allSuperOwls is a name known to allSuperOwls is a name known to allSuperOwls is a name known to allSuperOwls is a name known to allSuperOwls is a name known to allSuperOwls is a name known to allSuperOwls is a name known to allSuperOwls is a name known to allSuperOwls is a name known to all

Originally Posted by tht
Quick update,:

- I-140 still in "initial review" since July 1st 2010.
- Lawyers filled I-485, I-131, I-765 anyway in mid October 2010
- 2 year EAD received at the end of Jan 2011
- 1 year AP received at the end of Feb 2011
- Went for an INFOPASS last week and was advised that the I-140 had been assigned to an IO on the the 2nd of March 2011 (8 months after it was received), so I am thinking I should get some response in the next couple of months.

tht
Interested to hear how this turns out as just about to start the process of my L1 to GC
Old Apr 11th 2011, 2:51 pm
tht

Originally Posted by SuperOwls
Interested to hear how this turns out as just about to start the process of my L1 to GC
Will do, but at this rate it may be faster to get selected in the DV lottery...

tht
Old May 6th 2011, 3:14 pm
tht

Just to close this out, I was approved for my GC yesterday, after around 10 months waiting (and 10 years of working towards the job that would get it for me).

tht

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.