Wikiposts

L1 blanket visa

Old Feb 29th 2008, 9:20 am
Just Joined

surreygirl1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default L1 blanket visa

Hope someone can shed some light on this. Hubby is here on blanket L1 I am on L2. He came back from Europe a couple of weeks ago and immigration lady asked him if he was still with the company that gave him the visa. He was surprised to be asked this as we were under the impression that he was tied to the company that gave him this visa. Can he apply to other companies within the U.S whilst on this visa?
Old Feb 29th 2008, 9:21 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: L1 blanket visa

Originally Posted by surreygirl1
Hope someone can shed some light on this. Hubby is here on blanket L1 I am on L2. He came back from Europe a couple of weeks ago and immigration lady asked him if he was still with the company that gave him the visa. He was surprised to be asked this as we were under the impression that he was tied to the company that gave him this visa. Can he apply to other companies within the U.S whilst on this visa?
She was doublechecking.
Old Feb 29th 2008, 9:23 am
Forum Regular

Location: from Yorkshire, via Hampshire and Surrey to NC Triangle
mommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to all

you're right - it was just a security question, you'd be in a sorry state had you said no I guess Nothing to worry about though, it's their job.
Old Feb 29th 2008, 11:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Vimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond repute

I have been asked too more than once, also asked what position I held? As has been said they are just double checking, nothing to be concerned about.
Old Feb 29th 2008, 2:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

And to confirm - you can talk to other companies but you'll need a new visa to work for one of those companies.
Old Mar 1st 2008, 1:39 am
BE Enthusiast

dh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by chicagojlo
And to confirm - you can talk to other companies but you'll need a new visa to work for one of those companies.
Yeah - i have left the US 3 times since I got my visa, and I have been asked the same question every single time I returned... Last time they even wanted details oy job, what my job title was, how long I was here for.......
Old Mar 1st 2008, 2:34 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by dh010447
Yeah - i have left the US 3 times since I got my visa, and I have been asked the same question every single time I returned... Last time they even wanted details oy job, what my job title was, how long I was here for.......
Okay thanks. He's not particularly happy with employers at present, but we thought we'd have to start again re visas.
Old Mar 1st 2008, 2:52 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

And the new visa is unlikely to be an L1!
Old Mar 1st 2008, 2:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

You would be better off trying to get the current employer to apply for green cards for you, if you qualified for EB1-C you could potentially have them inside a year. Once you have them there is no tie to the employer anymore.
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 5:55 am
Just Joined

You would be better off trying to get the current employer to apply for green cards for you, if you qualified for EB1-C you could potentially have them inside a year. Once you have them there is no tie to the employer anymore.
We have requested green cards, but I think they are wise to the fact this would take off the 'handcuffs' and he could leave. Still no harm in asking again. Thanks
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 6:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Well if he is unhappy he could also just up and leave altogether with no warning, at least they have you while the GCs are being processed!
Some people offer to pay all the costs when their employers are not so happy about going down the GC route. It may be worth considering.
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 7:24 am
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

I was married to a USC so it was marriage based, but the company I was with saw the benefits of getting me a GC and paid for all the application and lawyer costs. The sacrifice I had to make was signing something to say I would stay with them for at least one year after getting the GC, and if I didn't I would have to pay all the costs back.

You could make it clear you would agree to similar conditions perhaps?

They laid me off about 4-months after getting the GC, so it was all a bit of a moot point for me And under those circumstances, I was not required to pay them back according to what I signed