L1-B to L1-A transfer

Old Jan 12th 2011, 10:31 pm
Forum Regular

FlatDog is an unknown quantity at this point
Default L1-B to L1-A transfer

Hi, I'm on L1-B now, done the 3yrs and started the 2yr extension last Feb. Expires May 2012. GC application filed with priority date 2008.

Got promoted last July to a manager, 14 direct reports, and in July 2011 I plan to apply to transfer to L1-A. Anyone done this transfer and any advice, how long it took etc?

I think this will buy me another 2 years, which I hope will be enough for my priority date to come up for GC.
Old Jan 12th 2011, 11:28 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: L1-B to L1-A transfer

Ask the company lawyer?
Old Jan 12th 2011, 11:46 pm
Forum Regular

Yes, I have a call with them next week. Just looking for advice / info from someone else who has gone through this same transfer before.
Old Jan 18th 2011, 1:32 am
Forum Regular

Sasoozie will become famous soon enoughSasoozie will become famous soon enough

I did a L1-B to L1-A transfer, it took a couple of months from my recollection (also in Boston).

be careful about the requirement "The employee must have worked for a subsidiary, parent, affiliate or branch office of your US company outside of the US for at least one year out of the last three years." You want to be sure not to have 'timed out' on that.

You should enquire about doing a filing for an L1-A to GC as well as the L1-A will only give you 2 extra years. The L1-A to GC is much quicker than L1-B to GC as there is no labour certification required.
Old Jan 18th 2011, 3:32 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

yes- might be quicker to restart the green card application as it can take 6 months from an L1A
Old Jan 18th 2011, 10:03 pm
Forum Regular

Good tip, thanks!
Old Jan 19th 2011, 4:35 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sasoozie
You should enquire about doing a filing for an L1-A to GC as well as the L1-A will only give you 2 extra years. The L1-A to GC is much quicker than L1-B to GC as there is no labour certification required.
As far as I am aware, occasionally an L1-B holder qualifies for first preference green card directly and in these cases there is normally no need to transfer to L1-A first. But check with an attorney.
Old Jan 19th 2011, 6:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

pejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond repute

I could be wrong..but I thought that to get the L1A you had to have been management level in your 'home' office as well? i.e. your promotion here wouldnt make a difference to your eligibility. I'm pretty sure that was the case with me.

I was on L1B..my initial 3 years ran out this month so they switched me over to H1B..gives me a bit more time and I think make green card sponsorship easier.
Old Jan 19th 2011, 7:42 pm
Forum Regular

I was told my time as a manager in the US would count as equivalent to that requirement.
Old Jan 19th 2011, 8:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

pejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FlatDog
I was told my time as a manager in the US would count as equivalent to that requirement.
OK. I was told the complete opposite by my firms immigration lawyers. Perhaps I misunderstood.

Good luck.
Old Jan 19th 2011, 9:48 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pejpm1
I was told the complete opposite by my firms immigration lawyers. Perhaps I misunderstood.
It's more likely that they're just idiots!

Ian
Old Feb 9th 2011, 1:38 pm
Forum Regular

Just to update you, I spoke to the lawyer on Monday. They informed me that after 6 months of being promoted I can apply for the switch from L-1B to L-1A. Which is now

They are also looking to see if H might be a better option for me as the L-1A might not buy me enough time until GC comes through. (I have a priority date of 08/12/2008 in EB-3 right now. At the moment EB-3 applications are being processed for individuals with priority dates of 04/01/2005 and previous). As I don't have a degree, they have to document 12 years of work experience to count as equivalent and then see if I can go on a H visa.

They don't think moving to L-1A changes the EB category, because I did not transfer to the US in that status (was not a manager in UK before).

Last edited by FlatDog; Feb 9th 2011 at 1:57 pm.
Old Apr 4th 2011, 3:27 pm
Forum Regular

Latest update. My company filed my H-1B petition last Friday (April 1st), Premium Processing. Will keep you posted how long it takes.
Old Apr 21st 2011, 10:30 pm
Forum Regular

My H-1B was approved today
Old Apr 21st 2011, 11:30 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FlatDog
My H-1B was approved today
Congrats!