Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

L1 approval whilst in the US on VWP

L1 approval whilst in the US on VWP

Old Mar 3rd 2011, 10:08 pm
Busy at Work

lifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: L1 approval whilst in the US on VWP

Originally Posted by dwhittles
Have just spoken to my lawyer and he has clarified the situation for me. The kids can stay since they will be looked after by their grandparents who are B2 visa holders.
I think practically I can see it as a problem if during your interview at the U.S. consulate/embassy, you were asked about the whereabout of your kids, then it may get a bit too complicated to explain. Just have a good answer in mind.

And I personally wouldn't consider taking care of the kids (especially in the roles of grandparents, not as babysisters or neighbors) as working, even though it may feel like a full time job to some people, but I'm going off the tangent.

The bottom line is, you make the decision on what you wanna do.
Old Mar 3rd 2011, 10:41 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lifehouse51

And I personally wouldn't consider taking care of the kids (especially in the roles of grandparents, not as babysisters or neighbors) as working, even though it may feel like a full time job to some people, but I'm going off the tangent.

But it is not you, personally, who makes that call. People have in all seriousness been denied visas and entry to the US when they come to the US to 'take care of their grandchild'.

If he makes the decision based on what he wants to do, it doesn't necessarily make it the right decision.
YOU wanted accurate information about your own situation when posting here for yourself, right? Not what was convenient, etc.
Old Mar 4th 2011, 12:05 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Your lawyer is an idiot. You can tell him I said so.

Ian
To be fair, the lawyer isn't the parents lawyer and probably saw another potential client in the works...
Old Mar 4th 2011, 12:08 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I

Unfortunately, looking after someone's kids, or taking care of a unwell relative is considered work, just because you are family and unpaid, doesn't mean that the work ordinarily wouldn't be a paid position.
Old Mar 4th 2011, 1:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Flabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond repute

i think its fair to say Ians posts are often blunt and to some people a bit offensive -however this time i think he is spot on.

IMO you are opening yourslef up to potentialhuge problems.
1 as stated 'child sitting' can be considered work and
2 the kids passports will need I94s stamped before the 90 days.

i would serioulsy consider a second opinion as you lawyers first one appears flawed, but thats just my opinion !!
Old Mar 4th 2011, 1:36 am
Busy at Work

lifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of light

Don't wanna get in an argument, and there are different ways to look at this issue. What I was trying to say was, no matter what advice other people give, a person would still do what he/she thought was the best thing to do, and as a result, had to bear any potential consequences of those decisions.

If it were me, I wouldn't do what was proposed by dwhittles. Why? There are safer alternatives that would also definitely be legal. Just tell the kids: "Stop whining about being on a long flight and getting over jet lag!"
Old Mar 4th 2011, 2:06 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Don't wanna get in an argument, and there are different ways to look at this issue. What I was trying to say was, no matter what advice other people give, a person would still do what he/she thought was the best thing to do, and as a result, had to bear any potential consequences of those decisions.
We agree there.
Old Mar 5th 2011, 9:32 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

As long as the kids depart within the 90 days they had been granted and reenter with L2 visas, I don't see a problem. If dad departs foreign, gets visas for the kids, returns to the US, and then drops over to Canada and back with the kids, gets L2 I-94 for the kids on the way back, that should do the trick.
Old Mar 7th 2011, 3:28 pm
Forum Regular

dwhittles is just really nicedwhittles is just really nicedwhittles is just really nicedwhittles is just really nicedwhittles is just really nicedwhittles is just really nicedwhittles is just really nicedwhittles is just really nice

Originally Posted by crg
As long as the kids depart within the 90 days they had been granted and reenter with L2 visas, I don't see a problem. If dad departs foreign, gets visas for the kids, returns to the US, and then drops over to Canada and back with the kids, gets L2 I-94 for the kids on the way back, that should do the trick.
That's exactly what I will do crg, although it will be the Bahamas not Canada.

Thanks for all your input.
Old Mar 7th 2011, 4:00 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

You will likely clear US customs and immigration in Nassau or Freeport so allow time for that. Check your I-94 to make sure they don't have any errors prior to leaving the inspection area.
Old Mar 7th 2011, 5:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

BILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by crg

Who the heck will take care of his kids? The grandparents CANNOT do so. It looks like the OP is ready to commit Federal offenses even before he has any work status here in the US. I cannot see how anyone (who has any comprehension of the laws) can encourage him to do this.
OP do not let the kids' grandparents take care of them in the interim. Take them with you. A little bit of inconvenience is no excuse for committing a serious offense.

It looks like you have not bothered to ask your attorney about this. I seriously hope you won't break the law. Proceed with caution.
Old Mar 7th 2011, 6:16 pm
Forum Regular

dwhittles is just really nicedwhittles is just really nicedwhittles is just really nicedwhittles is just really nicedwhittles is just really nicedwhittles is just really nicedwhittles is just really nicedwhittles is just really nice

Originally Posted by BILDER
Who the heck will take care of his kids? The grandparents CANNOT do so. It looks like the OP is ready to commit Federal offenses even before he has any work status here in the US. I cannot see how anyone (who has any comprehension of the laws) can encourage him to do this.
OP do not let the kids' grandparents take care of them in the interim. Take them with you. A little bit of inconvenience is no excuse for committing a serious offense.

It looks like you have not bothered to ask your attorney about this. I seriously hope you won't break the law. Proceed with caution.
Bilder,

Are you telling me that every time for the last 5 years that we have visited my wife's parents in the US and left the house for a few hours leaving our kids with their grandparents that they have been commiting a federal offense?!!?

Get a grip
Old Mar 7th 2011, 6:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

BILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud of

Bilder,

Are you telling me that every time for the last 5 years that we have visited my wife's parents in the US and left the house for a few hours leaving our kids with their grandparents that they have been commiting a federal offense?!!?

Get a grip
What is/was their status in the United States? Were they here for 5 years on a tourist visa? If they were here on a visit visa, absolutely they (and you) were committing rather serious federal offenses. Maybe you should get a grip. Respect our country? Respect our laws.
Old Mar 7th 2011, 6:27 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Bilder,

Get a grip
I know it's a bit extreme, but if the grandparents do not have work authorization in the USA, it could be seen as such by USCIS, yes.

Rene
Old Mar 7th 2011, 6:31 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I know it's a bit extreme, but if the grandparents do not have work authorization in the USA, it could be seen as such by USCIS, yes.

Rene
Ok. What if we hire a nanny to look after the kids but my Mother-in law cooks the food? Is this a federal offence?

Or would they be "disrespecting the United States and its Laws"?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.