Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

L-1A London - Administrative processing

L-1A London - Administrative processing

Old Jul 10th 2018, 8:17 am
Forum Regular

TomTom1988 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default L-1A London - Administrative processing

Hi all,

I wanted to share some info with you regarding the L-1A and our experience at the US embassy yesterday. We have gone through an L-1A individual petition for the setup of a new office. It was approved 2 weeks ago and yesterday we had our L1 & L2 interview at the US embassy in London. We were told at the end they wouldn't be issuing our visa today and we where going into administrative processing. When I asked politely if they could tell us why they let us know our office in the US has been "flagged" due to it being a shared office space with suites.

Needless to say, I am disappointed and expecting the worst from AP. Visa officer suggested it should be concluded within a few days and told us not to worry too much.

Just in case anyone is going through the process with I-129 / L-1A just be aware apparently this can happen.
Old Jul 12th 2018, 9:58 am
Forum Regular

Default Re: L-1A London - Administrative processing

For anyone else reading this FYI we received 221(G) notice which is what has created the administrative processing. We are still awaiting any notice but hope to hear some time this week.

Last edited by TomTom1988; Jul 12th 2018 at 10:40 am.
Old Jul 12th 2018, 11:22 am
Just Joined

Lisahart28 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have been in AP for four months and counting No news at all and with the news surrounding it atm it doesn't sound like it is a quick process
Old Jul 12th 2018, 11:35 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Lisahart28
I have been in AP for four months and counting No news at all and with the news surrounding it atm it doesn't sound like it is a quick process
Which visa Lisa? The issue with the L-1A is that it began counting down it validity the minute the I-129 was approved so every day in AP is 1 less day on the L-1A visa validity.
Old Jul 12th 2018, 11:38 am
Just Joined

Mine is the E2 spouse visa, either way AP is an awful process and makes you feel worse the longer you are in it.
Old Jul 12th 2018, 11:42 am
Forum Regular

It is. When we were told about 221(G) I asked why and we were told why I wasn't sure if we were allowed to ask but thankfully the VO was kind enough and told us. They did also tell me it should be clear within 2 - 3 days 7 days tops. We will see!
Old Jul 12th 2018, 11:45 am
Just Joined

That’s good you’ve got some feedback and hopefully you will get your visa soon. I was told my visa was approved and got the 221g notice six days later.
Old Jul 12th 2018, 11:46 am
Forum Regular

So they took your passport? Weird!
Old Jul 12th 2018, 11:47 am
BE Enthusiast

karenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TomTom1988
Which visa Lisa? The issue with the L-1A is that it began counting down it validity the minute the I-129 was approved so every day in AP is 1 less day on the L-1A visa validity.
Hopefully you will hear back soon but anyone can open a serviced office so it may be advisable to demonstrate why this is necessary for you compared to leasing other type of property - it could be seen as a virtual office as opposed to a real functional office where you will be expanding your new business and employing Americans.

Regarding your other point about losing time on the initial 12 mths - we lost a few months waiting for my husbands waiver of ineligibility to be approved. My lawyer advises the lost time can be requested when applying for the extension.
Old Jul 12th 2018, 11:49 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by TomTom1988
So they took your passport? Weird!
Yes they took mine and my husbands, they gave back mine with a 221g notice and a visa for my husband. We have even got a senator involved but that hasn’t helped and our lawyer can’t get any information.
Old Jul 12th 2018, 11:53 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by karenkaren1
Hopefully you will hear back soon but anyone can open a serviced office so it may be advisable to demonstrate why this is necessary for you compared to leasing other type of property - it could be seen as a virtual office as opposed to a real functional office where you will be expanding your new business and employing Americans.

Regarding your other point about losing time on the initial 12 mths - we lost a few months waiting for my husbands waiver of ineligibility to be approved. My lawyer advises the lost time can be requested when applying for the extension.
Thanks, Karen. Our I-129 was already approved as it was an individual petition filled before the Visa interview, we had within the pack explained the need for a serviced office or more exactly the benefit of it for our style of business which is why I guess it was so odd for us to have it then flagged after having had the I-129 approved. The issue with the extension and credit of time is that we need to prove within that first year that we can expand rapidly. I wouldn't actually be looking to extend it, my intention is to come home after the first year so a loss of 2 months is impactful.
Old Jul 15th 2018, 10:33 am
Forum Regular

Just for anyone who is following this, it will be 7 days tomorrow with no update or contact from the embassy. Having spoken with an immigration lawyer there is nothing really we can do at this point but wait.
Old Jul 15th 2018, 1:31 pm
Forum Regular

vindico is just really nicevindico is just really nicevindico is just really nicevindico is just really nicevindico is just really nicevindico is just really nicevindico is just really nicevindico is just really nice

I feel for you. The whole visa process is so burdensome and leaves you in limbo right until the last minute. With all the business planning needed to get a new office off the ground makes it very hard - first you have to have the business underway to apply for a visa, then they expect you to run it normally initially with no visa all the while with the uncertainty of ever getting it, and then once approved you have at least a month of delay and more if you are in AP and the clock is ticking. It is a nightmare.
Old Jul 15th 2018, 2:52 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Usually AP through London is measured in days, obviously always the exception.The ones usually with long AP's have T Country connections.
Old Jul 15th 2018, 4:18 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Vindico & Boiler. It is super frustrating the VO did say to us in his opinion it would be early this coming week we should receive an email so I have my fingers crossed. It just rough sitting with a half-empty house and a business in limbo as Vindico described while we wait.

What I found really odd was the reason the VO gave for the 221(G) was our office as we sent about 20 photos of the inside of the office with our logo's outside of the office, common areas, kitchen you name it!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.