L-1A to green card

Old Dec 14th 2019, 11:43 pm
Just Joined

jimmybarrymurphy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default L-1A to green card

Hi everyone,

I am looking into the L-1A visa with a view to getting a green card via EB-1C route. My ultimate aim is to be able to live and work in the US for a decent period of time, but almost certainly not forever. What is the best way to not lose the ability to live and work in both the UK and the US?

Also, a colleague has just started the EB-1C green card process from L-1A and has been advised it will take 12-18 months (this is to work in California so it will be processed by the Nebraska Service Centre) - does that sound accurate? I thought it would be 2 years minimum...

Cheers.
Old Dec 14th 2019, 11:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: L-1A to green card

In September 2018 you were in SF on an H1B. What happened?
Old Dec 14th 2019, 11:56 pm
Just Joined

jimmybarrymurphy is an unknown quantity at this point

I moved back to the UK once my company IPO'd (was doing long distance relationship as well). Looking to get back to SF with new employer...
Old Dec 15th 2019, 1:59 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimmybarrymurphy
What is the best way to not lose the ability to live and work in both the UK and the US?
You have to gain it first. That would be US citizenship.
Old Dec 15th 2019, 2:06 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimmybarrymurphy
Hi everyone,

I am looking into the L-1A visa with a view to getting a green card via EB-1C route. My ultimate aim is to be able to live and work in the US for a decent period of time, but almost certainly not forever. What is the best way to not lose the ability to live and work in both the UK and the US?

Also, a colleague has just started the EB-1C green card process from L-1A and has been advised it will take 12-18 months (this is to work in California so it will be processed by the Nebraska Service Centre) - does that sound accurate? I thought it would be 2 years minimum...

Cheers.
I am not sure how long it takes now to obtain a GC from a L1a visa. After 5 years of being a PR, you may apply for citizenship. Citizenship is the only way of securing your position in the US and UK. Once you have that you may come and go as you please.
Old Dec 15th 2019, 3:58 am
Forum Regular

CA-NY has a reputation beyond reputeCA-NY has a reputation beyond reputeCA-NY has a reputation beyond reputeCA-NY has a reputation beyond reputeCA-NY has a reputation beyond reputeCA-NY has a reputation beyond reputeCA-NY has a reputation beyond reputeCA-NY has a reputation beyond reputeCA-NY has a reputation beyond reputeCA-NY has a reputation beyond reputeCA-NY has a reputation beyond repute

We just got green cards issued this week, L-1A to EB-1C took 17 months total.
Old Dec 15th 2019, 5:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

So 18 months to get green card from L-1A (EB-1C), then 5 years to citizenship - then you can come and go as you please.
Old Dec 15th 2019, 6:02 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

More that 5 years, you can apply 90 days before your 5 years.
Old Dec 15th 2019, 3:40 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

For the OP just to be clear there is no move from an L1 to a GC, most people who qualify for an L1a also meet the criteria for an EB1c and often file for that while here on their dual intent L1a, but the EB1c is for future employment and you could have an employer file for it while you are still based outside the US. In real terms that is not going to matter to you, but it’s worth knowing as they want be some corner cases where it makes a difference. As to timelines it took me about 10 years from deciding to move here to be here on an L1a, about another 14 months for the GC (this was back in 2010/2011) and now another 7 years till I became a USC (I had other constraints). If it’s what you want and have the experience it should be doable. If you intend to live here long term I would say do it, if not the worldwide tax implications should be a consideration before you do.

Old Dec 16th 2019, 1:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

robtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond repute

I started the L1A to EB1C process in September 2018, just awaiting the confirmation of receipt as we filed the I485 last month (the EB1C category was backlogged, and remains so). Been advised it could be a further 6-12 months to complete from here, so up to 2 years in total seems a reasonable estimate. I think you could go straight for EB1C, if the company will sponsor it.
Old Jan 2nd 2020, 6:34 pm
The Hamburgler Incarnate!

Karlosthecackle is an unknown quantity at this point

Similar situation to Robtuck. Started L1A to EB1C in September 2018 and I485 was filed in October. Our lawyers also said it could be up to another year. VISA Bulletin this month though suggests final action date could become current in the coming months so fingers crossed.