Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Kids US passport after naturalization

Kids US passport after naturalization

Old Oct 15th 2019, 11:09 pm
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kids US passport after naturalization

Surely whether or not the kids' green cards are taken is irrelevant? As they'll be US citizens they'll be required to leave and enter the US on a US passport. The fact that their parents are traveling on US passports but they'll be on a UK passport could well raise alarm. If it were me I'd stick with the original plan of applying for all your passports at the same time and if you run in to issues at the post office then go to the passport office as a last resort.
Old Oct 15th 2019, 11:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

LeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer
Surely whether or not the kids' green cards are taken is irrelevant? As they'll be US citizens they'll be required to leave and enter the US on a US passport. The fact that their parents are traveling on US passports but they'll be on a UK passport could well raise alarm. If it were me I'd stick with the original plan of applying for all your passports at the same time and if you run in to issues at the post office then go to the passport office as a last resort.
Hi thanks. I think you're right. Not worth the risk!
Old Oct 17th 2019, 1:53 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Opinions go both ways. I say you don't really have to bother because you have the US Passport but as others point out, they would because they fear if you let the passport lapse or lose it, it would be a bitch to get a new one. For me, I would scan in a copy of the passport and save / store it away and then you will always have a copy to get the numbers from if either case above happens.
The law is crystal clear that a passport is prima facie evidence of citizenship. That said, the law is often not followed by private or state actors. Go figure.

There USED to be a procedure whereby an application could be filed ancillary to the N-400 for concurrent issuance of certificates for children. I recall that the filing fee was quite nominal. This procedure was abolished quite some time ago. I guess it made too much sense. It is a pet peeve of mine that a N-600 and concomitant filing fee has to be filed. Especially now that the naturalization of one parent can confer citizenship, I see no reason for not restoring the old procedure. Rant over.
Old Nov 2nd 2019, 5:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

LeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Update. My husband and I turned in our green cards at the oath ceremony. The following day we had an appointment for the 4 of us at our local USPS to apply for a US passport (expedited as we're traveling overseas in under 6 weeks) We had our passport photos ready, we had printed out the completed forms (DS11) and brought along the children's birth certificates, our marriage certificate, our certificate of naturalization our driver's license (for ID), the children's British passports (for ID) and the kids' Green Cards which we had to turn in as they were submitted with their passport application. The USPS lady made copies of everything she needed and we paid up (around $800), and a few days later saw online that our applications were approved and our passports and supporting documents are being mailed back to us! An expensive but easy process!
Old Nov 3rd 2019, 10:39 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations ! Happy travels.
Old Nov 3rd 2019, 4:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rete
Congratulations ! Happy travels.
thanks!
Old Nov 5th 2019, 8:41 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
The law is crystal clear that a passport is prima facie evidence of citizenship. .
Just learned the other day that the law may not be as clear as I thought. See United States v Moreno I was relying on the venerable Matter of Villanueva "It was clear as mud but it covered the ground."