Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Kids US passport after naturalization

Kids US passport after naturalization

Old Oct 13th 2019, 11:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

LeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Kids US passport after naturalization

Hi there. We have our oath ceremony (whoop whoop) in a couple of weeks and are traveling to London over Thanksgiving (a month after the Oath). I read that we can’t use the Certificate of Naturalization to re-enter the US and obviously we’ll no longer have our green cards so I’m assuming that our only option is to apply for US passports. Given the timings, we’ll need to expedite them.

So my questions are: will/can they give the kids (age 12) a Certificate of Naturalization at the Oath Ceremony (they’ll come with us and we can bring their ID etc)? If not, do you know how long it might take to apply/receive one? (Read that it costs $500+). Or can I apply for their passports at USPS using my Certificate as proof?

(Timeline if anyone’s interested: applied April 19th (90 days before 5 year GC anniversary!), ETA was April 2020. Biometrics May 10th. Interview and Civics test Oct 9th, Oath Ceremony Oct 22th.)

thanks!

Last edited by LeavingLondon; Oct 13th 2019 at 11:32 pm.
Old Oct 14th 2019, 12:50 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kids US passport after naturalization

No, they will not give the children a certificate of naturalization. Their US Citizen is based on yours so only your certificate is required. To get them a naturalization document you would need to file an N-600 for each one of the children. This will take awhile to obtain. Instead, you can apply for their US passports at the same time as you apply for yours. You will need to bring your naturalization certificate, their birth certificates, and for good measure your marriage certificate when applying for them.
Old Oct 14th 2019, 2:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

LeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Rete. That makes life easier... and a bit cheaper!!

Once they have passports do you think it’s still worth applying for the documentation or is it a waste of money?
Old Oct 14th 2019, 2:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rete
No, they will not give the children a certificate of naturalization. Their US Citizen is based on yours so only your certificate is required. To get them a naturalization document you would need to file an N-600 for each one of the children. This will take awhile to obtain. Instead, you can apply for their US passports at the same time as you apply for yours. You will need to bring your naturalization certificate, their birth certificates, and for good measure your marriage certificate when applying for them.
Do I need to bring the kids with me when I apply for our passports at the post office? Or can I get the back of their photos signed by someone who vouches that it’s them?
Old Oct 14th 2019, 4:09 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LeavingLondon

Do I need to bring the kids with me when I apply for our passports at the post office? Or can I get the back of their photos signed by someone who vouches that it’s them?
Why are you going to be using the post office? Do you live near a large city where you can go directly to the US Passport Office? As for the need to bring the kids, that I don't know as I've only had to get a passport for myself and my husband did his own. No kids involved.
Old Oct 14th 2019, 4:11 pm
Concierge

Thanks Rete. That makes life easier... and a bit cheaper!!

Once they have passports do you think it’s still worth applying for the documentation or is it a waste of money?
Opinions go both ways. I say you don't really have to bother because you have the US Passport but as others point out, they would because they fear if you let the passport lapse or lose it, it would be a bitch to get a new one. For me, I would scan in a copy of the passport and save / store it away and then you will always have a copy to get the numbers from if either case above happens.
Old Oct 14th 2019, 5:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Why are you going to be using the post office? Do you live near a large city where you can go directly to the US Passport Office? As for the need to bring the kids, that I don't know as I've only had to get a passport for myself and my husband did his own. No kids involved.
We can reserve slots at our local USPS. I thought we had to go in person when applying for a passport? Just came across this below from Travel.State.Gov:

1st point applies to my husband and me, points 1 & 2 apply to the kids. Annoying as it'll cost us $200 (including the pictures which are $15 apiece but the same price as Walgreens) plus the cost of the expedited passports!

Alternatively, I guess we can go to the passport office in SF but I'd have to pull the kids out of school and I'd rather not have to do that. I think you can only go there of traveling within 14 days (which we could always leave it until 14 days before our trip but it's a lot of hassle as they're not open on weekends)Apply in Person

You must apply in person using Form DS-11 if at least one of the following is true:
  • You are applying for your first U.S. passport
  • You are under age 16
  • Your previous U.S. passport was issued when you were under age 16
  • Your previous U.S. passport was lost, stolen, or damaged
  • Your previous U.S. passport was issued more than 15 years ago

Last edited by LeavingLondon; Oct 14th 2019 at 5:53 pm.
Old Oct 14th 2019, 5:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Opinions go both ways. I say you don't really have to bother because you have the US Passport but as others point out, they would because they fear if you let the passport lapse or lose it, it would be a bitch to get a new one. For me, I would scan in a copy of the passport and save / store it away and then you will always have a copy to get the numbers from if either case above happens.
Great advice, thanks!
Old Oct 14th 2019, 9:07 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

They had a place set-up to accept passport applications in the library next to the building where I did my Oath. They still charged an acceptance fee, but was able to send my application same day and pay to expedite it, and I had it back inside 2 weeks.

After seeing someone, who from what I could tell by what the immigration officer was saying to him had been repeatedly told to get a US passport after entering with a foreign passport and naturalization certificate multiple times, it’s defiantly not an experience I would want to go thorough, but interesting that it’s at least possible. Not sure how they were able to board the flight, maybe they used an ESTA and foreign pastry to get on the plane and then pull out the certificate to prove they are a USC at inspection.
Old Oct 14th 2019, 9:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tht
They had a place set-up to accept passport applications in the library next to the building where I did my Oath. They still charged an acceptance fee, but was able to send my application same day and pay to expedite it, and I had it back inside 2 weeks.

After seeing someone, who from what I could tell by what the immigration officer was saying to him had been repeatedly told to get a US passport after entering with a foreign passport and naturalization certificate multiple times, it’s defiantly not an experience I would want to go thorough, but interesting that it’s at least possible. Not sure how they were able to board the flight, maybe they used an ESTA and foreign pastry to get on the plane and then pull out the certificate to prove they are a USC at inspection.
i heard that they don’t accept the naturalization documentation for re-entry. Do you know if I ha e to surrender my kids’ Green Cards at the oath ceremony as well as ours? If I don’t then I can presumably just sort out their passports when I return from our overseas trip (and therefore not pay extra to expedite them)
Old Oct 14th 2019, 10:44 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

i heard that they don’t accept the naturalization documentation for re-entry. Do you know if I ha e to surrender my kids’ Green Cards at the oath ceremony as well as ours? If I don’t then I can presumably just sort out their passports when I return from our overseas trip (and therefore not pay extra to expedite them)
I had heard the same on here many times , but what I saw in person indicated it may not be so clear cut in the real world. As I understand it they can’t deny entry to a USC, but I assume they would treat it like a USC arriving with no passport at all, so the fee is probably more than the cost of a passport. I guess the difference is a dual national has more chance of making it on a plane as they have a passport. Most airlines would not let you board a flight without the right entry documents.

My children were already USC before so I can’t answer your question from my own experience, but I would assume if they become USC when you do they would take all the GC’s, they seem to want any and every official document related to immigration you have.... not sure if they would know to ask for them, but I assume entering on them after they had become USC would be a violation of some type.

Last edited by tht; Oct 14th 2019 at 10:47 pm.
Old Oct 14th 2019, 11:42 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, they collect the green cards at the oath ceremony.

Rene
Old Oct 15th 2019, 1:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Yes, they collect the green cards at the oath ceremony.

Rene
From the kids too?
Old Oct 15th 2019, 4:22 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

From the kids too?
From anyone who is becoming a USC. They exchange the green card for a naturalization certificate.

Rene
Old Oct 15th 2019, 12:50 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by Noorah101
From anyone who is becoming a USC. They exchange the green card for a naturalization certificate.

Rene
The kids are not taking the oath but deriving their US citizenship on the parents' oath. I don't believe that the kids' green cards will be taken but then that thought is based on the aforementioned scenario.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.