Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Keep UK passports and US passport?

Keep UK passports and US passport?

Old Nov 9th 2019, 1:27 am
Just Joined

Dorothygale53 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Keep UK passports and US passport?

We will be eligible to apply for citizenship at the end of this year. 2 of the kids UK passports have already expired, other child’s will expire next year with mine and my husbands expiring 2021. We will be applying for US passports as soon as we can. I have heard people like to keep both passports and was wondering if there was a benefit to this? Other then just being patriotic?! It’s a lot of money to renew all of our UK passports just before paying for all the citizenship fees snd THEN the US passports? If there is a benefit to this we will renew but otherwise it seems to be a lot of money for what?
Old Nov 9th 2019, 1:39 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Keep UK passports and US passport?

No benefit I know of. I renewed my ukpp 5 years after I got my uspp, just to spread the cost .
Old Nov 9th 2019, 1:58 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by RICH
No benefit I know of. I renewed my ukpp 5 years after I got my uspp, just to spread the cost .
Just curious...why did you renew your UK one when you had a valid US one?
Old Nov 9th 2019, 3:18 am
Sasstronaut

livinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond repute

My UK passport is up for renewal around Feb next year, and it will be the first time I've renewed it since becoming a USC (actually its the first time I've ever renewed it). I plan to renew it simply as I do enjoy having two passports, but also it's an easy way to prove (if ever needed) I'm also a UKC.
Old Nov 9th 2019, 4:27 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothygale53
We will be eligible to apply for citizenship at the end of this year. 2 of the kids UK passports have already expired, other child’s will expire next year with mine and my husbands expiring 2021. We will be applying for US passports as soon as we can. I have heard people like to keep both passports and was wondering if there was a benefit to this? Other then just being patriotic?! It’s a lot of money to renew all of our UK passports just before paying for all the citizenship fees snd THEN the US passports? If there is a benefit to this we will renew but otherwise it seems to be a lot of money for what?
One huge benefit (in my opinion) is that with a current UK passport you can re-enter whenever you like, whether that's to live permanently or just for a visit. We never know what life throws at us, there may be a reason that you need to return to the UK. Of course, you could enter on your US passport but you would be a visitor and go through the foreign nationals immigration section, would likely be questioned as to your reason for entering the UK, and could only stay for a maximum of 6 months. Up to you really and I do understand the expense involved.
Old Nov 9th 2019, 4:44 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
One huge benefit (in my opinion) is that with a current UK passport you can re-enter whenever you like, whether that's to live permanently or just for a visit. We never know what life throws at us, there may be a reason that you need to return to the UK. Of course, you could enter on your US passport but you would be a visitor and go through the foreign nationals immigration section, would likely be questioned as to your reason for entering the UK, and could only stay for a maximum of 6 months. Up to you really and I do understand the expense involved.
I love your user name! I’m guessing your spouse is from Liverpool! My family and I are also Scouse...as my Kansas number plate shows but not many understand 😂. You make a very valid point. I’m guessing it’s more of a convenience thing (but like you say, who knows what the future holds...). Thank you for your input ☺️
Old Nov 9th 2019, 5:18 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

I love your user name! I’m guessing your spouse is from Liverpool! My family and I are also Scouse...as my Kansas number plate shows but not many understand 😂. You make a very valid point. I’m guessing it’s more of a convenience thing (but like you say, who knows what the future holds...). Thank you for your input ☺️
Hi Dorothy, my husband is indeed a Scouser He was born in Bootle but now lives in my home country of Australia. You Scousers sure do get around! If you have the time at any stage, I'd love to see your number plate! Hope to see you around the place
ps I just mentioned to my husband that I was talking with a scouser named Dorothy who lives in Kansas - he laughed and wondered if you have red shoes, I bet you've heard that 'joke' a million times
Old Nov 9th 2019, 8:22 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Its also much easier if you renew quickly, rather than leaving it for years. Leave it too long and its as much paperwork as applying for a first passport.
Old Nov 9th 2019, 9:26 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Your legal status as British citizens does not change if you enter the UK on a foreign passport. British citizens cannot be overstayers in the UK.

However, your US passports will say on them that you were born in the UK - so I will bet you get asked about it straight away at UK immigration.

You can also make a copy of the photo page of your expiring UK passports which can assist with any ID queries.

This sort of thing happens all the time at UK immigration and will not be an issue.

I, personally, would go on with the renewals. A passport is easy conclusive proof of UK nationality should that ever be needed.
Old Nov 9th 2019, 1:53 pm
Just Joined

Hi Dorothy, my husband is indeed a Scouser He was born in Bootle but now lives in my home country of Australia. You Scousers sure do get around! If you have the time at any stage, I'd love to see your number plate! Hope to see you around the place
ps I just mentioned to my husband that I was talking with a scouser named Dorothy who lives in Kansas - he laughed and wondered if you have red shoes, I bet you've heard that 'joke' a million times
Funny story...I’ve always loved “The Wizard of Oz”...long before we moved to Kansas! So my user name has always been dorothygale53 for everything (Dorothy Gale is her actual name in the movie) ever since I got internet active! And all these years later, I still use it! My name is actually Alison. Glad to hear us scousers are making ourselves present worldwide 😆. We are originally from Melling
Old Nov 9th 2019, 1:54 pm
Just Joined

Funny story...I’ve always loved “The Wizard of Oz”...long before we moved to Kansas! So my user name has always been dorothygale53 for everything (Dorothy Gale is her actual name in the movie) ever since I got internet active! And all these years later, I still use it! My name is actually Alison. Glad to hear us scousers are making ourselves present worldwide 😆. We are originally from Melling

Old Nov 9th 2019, 1:58 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Its also much easier if you renew quickly, rather than leaving it for years. Leave it too long and its as much paperwork as applying for a first passport.
Good to know, thank you!
Old Nov 9th 2019, 1:59 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by carcajou
Your legal status as British citizens does not change if you enter the UK on a foreign passport. British citizens cannot be overstayers in the UK.

However, your US passports will say on them that you were born in the UK - so I will bet you get asked about it straight away at UK immigration.

You can also make a copy of the photo page of your expiring UK passports which can assist with any ID queries.

This sort of thing happens all the time at UK immigration and will not be an issue.

I, personally, would go on with the renewals. A passport is easy conclusive proof of UK nationality should that ever be needed.
That makes total sense, thank you!
Old Nov 9th 2019, 2:05 pm
Concierge

That's a ripper number plate, well done you! Makes me want to get my husband one. As you'd know Melling isn't a million miles from Bootle, even in the same Borough.
We actually went to the UK in 2015 to live permanently, bought a house in New Brighton. I loved living there but scouse had forgotten how much he hated the winters and he lost a bit of his sparkle. So back to Oz we came.

I've just realised that I'm posting on an Immigration page, which I shouldn't really be doing as these pages are just for immigration, passport and visa info. I'll catch up with you when you post in another section, don't be a stranger!
Old Nov 9th 2019, 2:10 pm
Just Joined

That's a ripper number plate, well done you! Makes me want to get my husband one. As you'd know Melling isn't a million miles from Bootle, even in the same Borough.
We actually went to the UK in 2015 to live permanently, bought a house in New Brighton. I loved living there but scouse had forgotten how much he hated the winters and he lost a bit of his sparkle. So back to Oz we came.

I've just realised that I'm posting on an Immigration page, which I shouldn't really be doing as these pages are just for immigration, passport and visa info. I'll catch up with you when you post in another section, don't be a stranger!
😉😊