Wikiposts

Juvenile Record from U.S.

Old Oct 27th 2004, 7:21 am
Just Joined

kilograham is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Juvenile Record from U.S.

What are the official rules for revealing a juvenile record on the N-400?

I have a Juvenile from when I was 14 years old within the U.S. The State/City regulations for Juvenile Records is that they are destroyed upon the person's 18th Birthday. Destroyed as in I couldn't find out what I did if I tried.

And that's part of the problem. I can't find out any of the details, the final charge, the dates, or any details, nothing. I read somewhere that a Juvenile Record is not considered a criminal "conviction", but rather an intervention to put the child back on the right path. Is this splitting hairs?

The crime was nonviolent, and, with my best recollection, a misdemeanor. I am worried about a Juvenile Record being part of my permanent record if I admit it on the N-400. It happened almost 20 years ago.
Old Oct 27th 2004, 8:50 am
BE Forum Addict

sphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Juvenile Record from U.S.

Originally Posted by kilograham

I have a Juvenile from when I was 14 years old within the U.S. The State/City regulations for Juvenile Records is that they are destroyed upon the person's 18th Birthday. Destroyed as in I couldn't find out what I did if I tried.

And that's part of the problem. I can't find out any of the details, the final charge, the dates, or any details, nothing. I read somewhere that a Juvenile Record is not considered a criminal "conviction", but rather an intervention to put the child back on the right path. Is this splitting hairs?

The crime was nonviolent, and, with my best recollection, a misdemeanor. I am worried about a Juvenile Record being part of my permanent record if I admit it on the N-400. It happened almost 20 years ago.
I think the N-400 question is quite clear on this matter.

"Have you EVER been arrested, cited, or detained by any law enforcement officer (including INS and military officers) for any reason?"

It doesn't say "Have you EVER been arrested after your 14th birthday..."

I would be more worried about not reporting it and the IO finding out about it than I would about it becoming part of your permanent record.
Old Oct 27th 2004, 9:30 am
staying around

candy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond repute

to get to the stage of the N-400 you must of filled in immigration papers were these crimes not disclosed then?
Old Oct 28th 2004, 5:07 am
Just Joined

kilograham is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by candy wy.
to get to the stage of the N-400 you must of filled in immigration papers were these crimes not disclosed then?
This is the first time my Juvenile Record will be reported to Immigration. I have lived in the U.S. since I was 7 years old as a Resident Alien/Green Card because my mother married an American.

I am worried that once a Citizen, a background check will reveal this silly, youthful transgression, where as it stands right now, no background check would reveal this.

thank you for your help and advice
Old Oct 28th 2004, 5:56 am
staying around

candy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond repute

This is the first time my Juvenile Record will be reported to Immigration. I have lived in the U.S. since I was 7 years old as a Resident Alien/Green Card because my mother married an American.

I am worried that once a Citizen, a background check will reveal this silly, youthful transgression, where as it stands right now, no background check would reveal this.

thank you for your help and advice
all i can tell you is my 14 year old had a juvenile conviction at his aos interview, it had no effect at all, the interviewer was not intrested in it.
i don't think it will make any difference to you n-400 but you do need to declare it.