Just as we decided to go back

Old Oct 25th 2005, 9:55 am
BE Forum Addict

woodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Just as we decided to go back

OK.... Whilst on holiday we made the united decision to head home.

Then..

This morning we get an email from my brother in law to say that he is looking at emigrating and this would mean for sure that the father in law would come out to..... What the!!!!!

Main reasons for going back are starting to disintegrate. Now I am really confused what to do
Old Oct 25th 2005, 10:00 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just as we decided to go back

Originally Posted by woodyinoz
OK.... Whilst on holiday we made the united decision to head home.

Then..

This morning we get an email from my brother in law to say that he is looking at emigrating and this would mean for sure that the father in law would come out to..... What the!!!!!

Main reasons for going back are starting to disintegrate. Now I am really confused what to do

If in doubt, stay put.

Dont uproot yourselves if your reasons for doing it are rocky.

Wait to see what happens and then make a choice.

Hard decisions need to be well thought through.

As I said, see what happens before you do anything hasty.

Good luck
Old Oct 25th 2005, 10:04 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe it's a sign you were going back for the wrong reasons. Definitely time to re-evaluate.
Old Oct 25th 2005, 10:10 am
BE Forum Addict

woodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Maybe it's a sign you were going back for the wrong reasons. Definitely time to re-evaluate.
Doesn't help with me missing my family though! I have the large family and the big get togethers at various times of the year.

Maybe some family is better than non. Either that or do I tell them not to come out as we are still going home!

To make things more complicated if FIL came out it would free up our inheritance and enable us to live mortgage free - no worries then about yearly trips home.....

Ohh so confussed now
Old Oct 25th 2005, 12:14 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Doesn't help with me missing my family though! I have the large family and the big get togethers at various times of the year.

Maybe some family is better than non. Either that or do I tell them not to come out as we are still going home!

To make things more complicated if FIL came out it would free up our inheritance and enable us to live mortgage free - no worries then about yearly trips home.....

Ohh so confussed now
Sounds like you should definitely tell them of your plans ... maybe if they knew you were going home, they'd change their minds about emigrating!

Not sure I understand your comment about freeing up inheritance.
Old Oct 25th 2005, 1:09 pm
Forum Regular

SCOTTISH MARK 2 is just really niceSCOTTISH MARK 2 is just really niceSCOTTISH MARK 2 is just really niceSCOTTISH MARK 2 is just really niceSCOTTISH MARK 2 is just really niceSCOTTISH MARK 2 is just really niceSCOTTISH MARK 2 is just really niceSCOTTISH MARK 2 is just really niceSCOTTISH MARK 2 is just really niceSCOTTISH MARK 2 is just really nice

[QUOTE=woodyinoz]OK.... Whilst on holiday we made the united decision to head home.

Isn't if funny...most of us were happy living in the UK for a fair
bit of our adult lifes and now we're all terrified to go back.

Makes you think doesn't it........if you were genuinely happy
there and you're not living overseas.........will it really be that
different going back once you've settled in.

Remind me why did we do it, ahhhhh
Old Oct 25th 2005, 1:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

The inheritance is tied up in his house.... MIL died and left us her half.
FIL said if we move back to the UK he will sell up, free up the money and move in with us! I guess that if he comes out here the same will happen except converting £ to $ we would have enough to live mmortgagefree here but not in the UK. Makes staying a bit tempting but as he is 70 we have to make sure that we are here perm......

Scottish Mark!

All I know was that I wasn't unhappy in the UK I just fancy trying something ddifferentwhilst we had the chance. Now I have to make up my mind as secondary school looms and I can't mess things around for the kids.

In a way you have made that decision easier by pointing out if whether we were genuinely happy there - yes I was! Have I been happy here - No.. but ppersonalreasons have made it this way - not the country. And now those ppersonalissues are resolved so who knows maybe that will turn to a yes - AAGGHHHHHHH
Old Oct 25th 2005, 2:03 pm
Ping-ponger

The inheritance is tied up in his house.... MIL died and left us her half.
FIL said if we move back to the UK he will sell up, free up the money and move in with us! I guess that if he comes out here the same will happen except converting £ to $ we would have enough to live mmortgagefree here but not in the UK. Makes staying a bit tempting but as he is 70 we have to make sure that we are here perm......

Scottish Mark!

All I know was that I wasn't unhappy in the UK I just fancy trying something ddifferentwhilst we had the chance. Now I have to make up my mind as secondary school looms and I can't mess things around for the kids.

In a way you have made that decision easier by pointing out if whether we were genuinely happy there - yes I was! Have I been happy here - No.. but ppersonalreasons have made it this way - not the country. And now those ppersonalissues are resolved so who knows maybe that will turn to a yes - AAGGHHHHHHH
I'm guessing that FIL will be covered for health care over in Oz? Here in the US, old rellies moving over can be a nightmare - ludicrously high health care, regardless of whether you get health insurance.

Sounds like you've got a tough decision. Your FIL must be very brave moving to Oz at 70 years of age. If he is doing it mainly because you are there, and you are uncertain about being there, I'd recommend you all sit down and talk about it (conference call). Maybe if he knew you were thinking of going home he'd gladly stay there.

If he moved out there and then you continued to get cold feet, could be harsh on him having to move back to the UK all over again at his age.

Hope you know I'm not preaching, just giving an objective observer's view of what seems to be the situation.
Old Oct 25th 2005, 2:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Hi woody, get anyone whos saying they are coming out here to live to visit for an extended period first, preferably at the worst time weather wise etc. We have had visitors who are australia obsessed moving here if its the last thing they do one lot in particular would have done so in a bat of the eyelid and would not have any negatives pointed out... They arrived in december and hated it with a passion. Within days it was too hot, too expensive, too many rules regs, the people were odd and didnt speak to them, must admit people are a bit reserved here once ou try to get past the goodays and how are yas Anyway make sure before you change your plans they are really going to do it and know exactly what it is they are up for.
Old Oct 25th 2005, 3:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Hi woody, get anyone whos saying they are coming out here to live to visit for an extended period first, preferably at the worst time weather wise etc. We have had visitors who are australia obsessed moving here if its the last thing they do one lot in particular would have done so in a bat of the eyelid and would not have any negatives pointed out... They arrived in december and hated it with a passion. Within days it was too hot, too expensive, too many rules regs, the people were odd and didnt speak to them, must admit people are a bit reserved here once ou try to get past the goodays and how are yas Anyway make sure before you change your plans they are really going to do it and know exactly what it is they are up for.
I hate feeling pressured into making a choice now...

The FIL will only come out to be with us. He doesn't care where he is as long as he see's the Grandkids. He came out for a month in December and loved where we lived. BIL would be able to find work here within mins as he is a tree surgeon.
Me I still want the UK but if we have family and financial security here then who knows..

Thanks Dunroving lecture away..... can't talk to my Mum about this as BIL wants to keep it hush for now We would never let FIL sell his home and move out here if we were undecided. He is worried about coping on his own now though and I couldn't put him through the ordeal of an OAP's place with no visitors.

Guess it's off to the DIMIA pages again to find out all about parents etc. Haven't a clue what visa's they will need or the length of time. Luckily FIL is in very good health and should keep on ticking for a good 20yrs
Old Oct 25th 2005, 7:38 pm
Live the moment

Pants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya Woody

eekkk now thats a hard one but I agree with PP don't make any decisions yet. How does hubby feel?

My mum thought about coming out to live in Oz when we were there but I have 2 sisters in the UK so balance of family was a no- no and I don't think she had enough wonger for the retirement visa..!!! Plus she would have missed her other grandkids heaps.
Good luck and try not to stress ok...it will get sorted. ! sorted..just like the Mitchell brothers would say...!!! Thank god you are not subject to those 2 faces on Enders..!!and Peggy...arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...!!!
Old Oct 26th 2005, 2:04 am

merlotsmum is an unknown quantity at this point

Wait to see what happens with the others applications for visa's - they may not come off.

Like everyone else said give it time.

Good luck

MMum