Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Just starting on this journey, lots to learn

Just starting on this journey, lots to learn

Old Jan 2nd 2020, 8:42 pm
Forum Regular

talkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just starting on this journey, lots to learn

Originally Posted by Boiler
This is a transportation company with a fleet of trucks based in Chicago, working with immigration lawyers Kurczaba & Associates

I will translate what is below:

"ETAP 1 – Urządpracy – Department of Labor.
Jest to najdłuższy etap I może trwać od 3 do 12 miesięcy od rozpoczęcia sprawy. Etap ten polega na
udwodnieniu Urzędowi Pracy ze firma Experior nie jest w stanie znaleźć doswiadczonych pracowników
korzystając z zasobów rynku lokalnego i wyraża chęć sprowadzenia kandydata na daną pozycję spoza
USA. Kandydat musi udowodnić że spełnia wymagania na daną pozycje. Jeżeli Urząd Pracy stwierdzi że
sprowadzenie kandydata spoza USA nie spowoduje odebrania miejsca pracy obywatelow
amerykańskiemu to wyraża zgodę na rozpoczęcie procedury przez Urząd Imigracyjny, – czyli etap 2.
Koszty ogłoszeń w pierwszym etapie pokrywa firma/Sponsor
Przy rozpoczęciu procedury sponsorowania trzeba wpłacić $500 kaucji"

Step 1
This is the longest from all the steps. It takes 3-12 months. It requires providing proof that no eligible truck driver can be found in local market and that company is willing to sponsor someone from outside of US. The candidate is required to provide proof of qualifications. Once Labor Department determines that no US citizen can be found to performed the job. Immigration Department agrees to start the sponsorship procedures. The costs of advertisement are covered by Experian and candidate is required to deposit $500 at the beginning of the sponsoring procedure.

"ETAP 2 – Urząd Imigracyjny

Aby rozpocząć etap 2 należy uiścić odpowiednie opłaty i przesłać je na konto biura prawniczego"

Step 2.
In order to start the procedures, candidate must make all necessary payments and send it to immigration lawyer

$4400 – oplata prawnicza (lawyer fees)

$1925 – oplata urzędowa (application fee - form fee?)

$1250 – opcjonalnie – opłata za przyspieszenie drugiego etapu od 2-4 tygodni (optional fee for speeding up process - 2 step only)

ETAP 3 – Centrum Wizowe

Po zatwierdzeniu petycji imigracyjnej przez Urząd Imigracyjny, sprawa przechodzi do centrum wizowego
– National Visa Center (NVC).Zanim rozpocznie się trzeci etap należy uiścić odpowiednie opłaty:

Step 3
Once immigration petition is approved, application is send to NVC

$345 – wiza (visa fee)

$1900 – proces wizowy (processing fee)

$345+$1250 – każdy dodatkowy członek rodziny (any additional family member fee)

$220 za każdego członka rodziny – produkcja zielonej karty (any additional family member fee - production of GC)

I have to say, after reading this, they are scumbags

Last edited by talkto_menow; Jan 2nd 2020 at 8:57 pm.
Old Jan 2nd 2020, 8:44 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

EB3 - Polish owned US company bringing over Polish drivers.
Old Jan 2nd 2020, 10:48 pm
Just Joined

Sleepy82 is an unknown quantity at this point

EB3 - Polish owned US company bringing over Polish drivers.

it's a strange feeling to be in "their boat" but that's never a good thing.....

I arrived at a job at 03:00 one morning, got in the cab and a "driver" (polish) got in the truck next to me, jumped straight back out and came to speak to me.... "how you drive?"

yeah, starting to see the difficulty here
Old Jan 3rd 2020, 1:44 am
BE Enthusiast

sid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond repute

A Google for immigrating to the US as a truck driver shows up places like VisaPlace and Visa Solutions, that make convincing mention of H-2B and EB-3 programs. Hmmm. Certainly needs more research before handing over any money to these outfits. From an article at FleetOwner:
A Visa Solutions' brochure listed about 30 trucking companies, including A&M Transport, that are clients. Attempts to contact many of these fleets were unsuccessful, similar to what American Trucker's sister publication Fleet Owner experienced in 2017 when it looked into the process of recruiting immigrants.
https://www.fleetowner.com/fleet-man...-truck-drivers

The Experior article mentions proof of qualifications, which would include a Class A CDL. How do you get a Class A license? Take a training course while on vacation in the US?

One thing everyone seems to agree on is that there is a shortage of long-haul truck drivers in the US. This puzzled me as I read some time ago that the first autonomous vehicles to appear on the road would be long-haul trucks. I guess the industry is still not ready.
I recall reading that there are a lot of Sikh long-haul drivers, which ties with my personal experience a while back when a big rig pulled up and the driver came over to ask me for directions. He was an older Sikh guy whose first language was obviously not English. How did he immigrate? I don't know, but my guess would be family sponsorship.
Old Jan 3rd 2020, 9:21 am
Just Joined

Okay, I found this; https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vis...y-steps/%3famp

which looks a bit more hopeful, uses H-2B but raises a couple of questions;

According to that, H-2B means it's temporary (under 12 months), I've read so much over the last few days I've got completely lost! Is that right and can it become more permanent fairly easily?

Of course, I'd also need a CDL - which isn't a problem apart from doing it legally, I read the other day that non-residents can gain their CDL but is there a short term training visa that I could use to do that?
Old Jan 3rd 2020, 9:57 am
Just Joined

Might be able to answer part of that myself;

H-2b is, obviously, temporary only but the employer/another employer can sponsor you for permanent work, apparently it's common for them to simply change your job title and do everything else in the normal legal route. Looks like you need to time the applications carefully or go home for a while between the two visas

And, although the transport governing body (I forget the name) say there's a way to get CDL for non-residents, it seems that's something different states have their own rules for. So, I've more research to do yet
Old Jan 3rd 2020, 3:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sleepy82
Might be able to answer part of that myself;

H-2b is, obviously, temporary only but the employer/another employer can sponsor you for permanent work, apparently it's common for them to simply change your job title and do everything else in the normal legal route. Looks like you need to time the applications carefully or go home for a while between the two visas

And, although the transport governing body (I forget the name) say there's a way to get CDL for non-residents, it seems that's something different states have their own rules for. So, I've more research to do yet
i would write a letter to the ten largest trucking companies in US and explain your situation and see what kind of response you get. If they have sponsored any foreign drivers they can advise you on how to proceed. Another option would be working for Canadian company that delivers primarily to US locations.
Old Jan 3rd 2020, 4:28 pm
Just Joined

Thankyou for the reply, I intend to take my time for various reasons (not least because it's a big decision) so no rush just yet but I will be speaking to employers in due course

After a bit more reading, it does still look a bit more hopeful. It seems I can go for eb3 for permanent work (although there may be a wait) or hb2 for temporary work (some places say 1years max, some say 3 years max??) Of course, they both depend on finding a sponsor. At the moment though, it's just fact finding.

So, a little bit off topic; a week or so ago, I spent a while looking into the cost of living and came to the conclusion that wages would be more or less the same as the UK (a little higher if anything), fuel, bills, houses, etc all seemed considerably lower so over all, the difference covers the medical insurance so, financially, there's no real difference to the UK. That sound about right to you?
Old Jan 3rd 2020, 4:36 pm
Account Closed

Depends where you are but a Pound in the UK would be $1.50 to $2 in the US.
Old Jan 3rd 2020, 5:08 pm
Just Joined

Depends where you are but a Pound in the UK would be $1.50 to $2 in the US.
The exchange rate, yes but I mean in day to day terms. A loaf of bread is about £1 here so, I'd guess more like $1.25 - so slightly cheaper ( just as an example) ?
Old Jan 3rd 2020, 5:11 pm
Account Closed

I bought one last night, now it was on sale but $2.25.

Even the nasty stuff is $2.
Old Jan 3rd 2020, 5:43 pm
Just Joined

I'll admit... I'm surprised there!

looks like I need to have another look into that, it's not a deal-breaker as that's not really what I'm looking for but details matter
Old Jan 3rd 2020, 5:47 pm
Account Closed

I had a couple of beers afterwards, and for some reason they were serving what I drink in proper pint glasses so no conversion needed, $5.40. Now I have no idea what the current price of beer is in the UK. That was the cheapest stuff.
Old Jan 3rd 2020, 7:34 pm
Forum Regular

steph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sleepy82
Thankyou for the reply, I intend to take my time for various reasons (not least because it's a big decision) so no rush just yet but I will be speaking to employers in due course

After a bit more reading, it does still look a bit more hopeful. It seems I can go for eb3 for permanent work (although there may be a wait) or hb2 for temporary work (some places say 1years max, some say 3 years max??) Of course, they both depend on finding a sponsor. At the moment though, it's just fact finding.

So, a little bit off topic; a week or so ago, I spent a while looking into the cost of living and came to the conclusion that wages would be more or less the same as the UK (a little higher if anything), fuel, bills, houses, etc all seemed considerably lower so over all, the difference covers the medical insurance so, financially, there's no real difference to the UK. That sound about right to you?
Groceries are definitely more expensive in the US. Along with household utilities, tech things like mobile phones and broadband and car insurance.
Old Jan 3rd 2020, 7:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

If you manage to land a driving job with a major trucking company you will have excellent health insurance due to competition for good drivers. As a single person your employer would be happy to keep you on the road to the point there would be little time to spend your money. In the short term that wouldn’t be so bad and you could save a lot.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.