Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Just starting on this journey, lots to learn

Just starting on this journey, lots to learn

Old Jan 2nd 2020, 1:39 pm
Just Joined

Sleepy82 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Just starting on this journey, lots to learn

In short, I love the US more than I do the UK and I'm in a good position to jump ship.....

I've been doing some reading though and it doesn't really look very hopeful for me, I'm 37, single, no debt, some savings, no mortgage and no kids. I'm a hgv driver with 12 years of experience in the UK, clean license and no criminal record. If I need to show good character, I'm a UK firearms certificate and shotgun certificate holder and have an advanced dbs check (I volunteered with kids for a while)

Initially it looked like I had a chance as the US are apparently short of truck drivers but the more I look into that, the more it seems to be a dead end - I'd need permanent residence before I could train and take whatever tests but the whole point of getting a job would be to get permanent residence so it's a catch 22 as far as I can see.

The easier option appears to be Canada but I'm still keen to explore any options I can, to stick with the USA

As I don't really have any ties here, I've given myself a couple of years to plan, ask questions, find work etc etc. Because of the aforementioned dead end, I'm considering looking for seasonal work and doing that either or both years (probably autumn/winter). Because I'm free and single (I can't claim to be all that young at 37) I wouldn't rule out meeting my future wife along the way but, obviously, although it'd be very welcome and simplify things considerably - that's not in the plan at all, it'd just be a lucky break.

can anyone think of anything I might be able to do to start my new life there?
Old Jan 2nd 2020, 1:43 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just starting on this journey, lots to learn

If you’re determined, you could look at changing careers and getting a degree so you qualify for a visa? It would have to be a long term plan (think 10 yrs plus), but if you’re driven enough then you could do it.
Old Jan 2nd 2020, 1:50 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sleepy82
In short, I love the US more than I do the UK and I'm in a good position to jump ship.....
Welcome to BE. I'm afraid that nothing you have said indicates the possibility of a visa that would lead to permanent residence. However, as it appears that you have never actually been to the US, I would suggest that what you love is your idea of what the US is (or was . . . ). The reality is rather different than you might imagine, and this vast country has so very many distinctly different regions and lifestyles. So step one, take a vacation in the part of the country you are interested in.
Old Jan 2nd 2020, 2:10 pm
Just Joined

Yeah, that maybe wasn't a very good turn of phrase

And, you're absolutely right - a vacation is certainly on the cards

But, it all starts with a dream and I might as well do some information gathering along the way. And, of course, if I'm wasting my time, the vacation could be money spent elsewhere

I'm not really a degree sort of person, ask me to strip a jet engine down and explain more or less what makes it tick, put it back together and prove my theory - you got it. Ask me to sit in a classroom for months on end to learn it properly.... hmmm, I CAN if I put my mind to it but I'm more of a hands on kinda person
Old Jan 2nd 2020, 2:15 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not really a degree sort of person, ask me to strip a jet engine down and explain more or less what makes it tick, put it back together and prove my theory - you got it. Ask me to sit in a classroom for months on end to learn it properly.... hmmm, I CAN if I put my mind to it but I'm more of a hands on kinda person
Trouble is, ‘hands on’ professions aren’t usually the kind that qualify for a visa for the US. Did you read the link given yesterday with all available visas? That’ll give you an idea of the type of occupations and qualifications you’d usually need for an employment based visa.

If you’re not keen on working your way in to one of them, then maybe look at other countries where trades do qualify for visas such as Canada or Oz? Or if you do just want to do seasonal work somewhere, then you could look at the EU (for now at least!).

Good luck.
Old Jan 2nd 2020, 2:59 pm
Just Joined

That's the way it looks sadly, I did read the link - quite a disappointing read for me unfortunately. As I was telling a friend; one of the things I admire about the US (backbone and looking after their own) will be what stops me getting anywhere the way it's looking.

I'd still be keen to do the seasonal work, for the "fun" of it and because I didn't travel or do any gap years etc in my youth. In the UK we have temp-to-perm jobs occasionally, do you have similar? Can seasonal work lead to permanent and give me a stepping stone? (Still happy to do it even if the answer's no)
Old Jan 2nd 2020, 3:14 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

I'd still be keen to do the seasonal work, for the "fun" of it and because I didn't travel or do any gap years etc in my youth. In the UK we have temp-to-perm jobs occasionally, do you have similar? Can seasonal work lead to permanent and give me a stepping stone? (Still happy to do it even if the answer's no)
Yes, absolutely there’s similar. But you do still need a visa to be able to do it!

As you’re not young enough for a working holiday visa (which some countries such as NZ or Canada offer), for temp seasonal work your easiest option may be to look in to somewhere that you can work without a visa - like the EU as suggested above (unless Brexit changes that).

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jan 2nd 2020 at 3:23 pm.
Old Jan 2nd 2020, 3:40 pm
Just Joined

Oh looks like I got that a bit muddled up then;

What did I miss? I'm too old to be likely to get a job like that or a visa for that kind of job?

Or I'd need a visa to get the job but I'd need a job to get a visa so I'm stuck?
Old Jan 2nd 2020, 4:29 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

You mentioned a wife, that would be the obvious route.
Old Jan 2nd 2020, 4:30 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa

Trouble is, ‘hands on’ professions aren’t usually the kind that qualify for a visa for the US. Did you read the link given yesterday with all available visas? That’ll give you an idea of the type of occupations and qualifications you’d usually need for an employment based visa.

If you’re not keen on working your way in to one of them, then maybe look at other countries where trades do qualify for visas such as Canada or Oz? Or if you do just want to do seasonal work somewhere, then you could look at the EU (for now at least!).

Good luck.
HGV driver won't work for Australia, not on the current skills lists.
Old Jan 2nd 2020, 4:51 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Boiler
You mentioned a wife, that would be the obvious route.

I'm not really the type to go looking for it (not in this context) IF I was working over there temporarily and found love, obviously I'd welcome it and it'd be quite helpful but it'd go against my morals to seek it out at this point

I won't deny I'd kinda hope for it if I was in that position though it's not really something you can plan (Not morally or legally imho)
Old Jan 2nd 2020, 4:52 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Seasonal jobs are things like working in a ski resort during winter, or picking crops during harvest season. Is that something you'd be willing to do?

Rene
Old Jan 2nd 2020, 4:55 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pollyana
HGV driver won't work for Australia, not on the current skills lists.
Canada do as far as I know but I had my heart set on the USA - some of the northern states in particular - being someone who hunts, hikes and fishes

Last edited by Sleepy82; Jan 2nd 2020 at 5:00 pm.
Old Jan 2nd 2020, 4:59 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Seasonal jobs are things like working in a ski resort during winter, or picking crops during harvest season. Is that something you'd be willing to do?

Rene
Yes and no, I've done some pretty poor jobs in my time - I think I'd have to be careful to find something that didn't make me miserable but, short term and gives me time to enjoy the place - absolutely
Old Jan 2nd 2020, 5:10 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well sounds like we have covered all the options.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.