Job offer, Visas?

Old Mar 1st 2010, 9:27 pm
Just Joined

madwa is on a distinguished road
Default Job offer, Visas?

Hi,

I am currently living and working in the UK, I have just been offered a job near Chicago which I am going to accept, so me and my family would move over to the states (Wife + 2 kids). The company is very keen for me to start as soon as possible and they seem confident that visas won’t take long...

I have read a lot of posts on this forum about the H1B, this is the visa I am expecting them to sponsor me for as it looks like I meet the criteria. I understand there is a 65,000 limit and this has been reached, then from the 1st April applications can be submitted for starting work from 1st October 2010.

Is there any other way the company could be thinking of getting\sponsoring me for a visa that I might not have thought about... (It is not voluntary, government or University affiliated). They are partners with the company I work with in the UK but I don’t think that it could be classes as an internal company move.

Any thoughts would be great.

Thanks!
Old Mar 1st 2010, 9:36 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job offer, Visas?

Why not just ask them directly? Why guess?

Rene
Old Mar 1st 2010, 9:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by madwa
Is there any other way the company could be thinking of getting\sponsoring me for a visa that I might not have thought about...
There might be, but you don't reveal enough facts.

(In before a certain someone posts the same thing)
Old Mar 1st 2010, 9:42 pm
Just Joined

They gave me a verbal offer on Thursday last week however I am still waiting on the formal job offer in writing, which I am expecting later in the week.

This was going to be one of my first questions once they had made the formal offer, but in the meantime it would nice to get an estimate...
Old Mar 1st 2010, 9:43 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bill_S
There might be, but you don't reveal enough facts.

(In before a certain someone posts the same thing)
What facts do you need?
Old Mar 1st 2010, 9:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

What facts do you need?
What is the job?
What is your citizenship?
What level of education do you have?
Where were you educated?

You've said you live in the UK, but we don't know your citizenship. For example, if you happened to be a Canadian citizen, you might qualify for TN status under NAFTA, depending on the job and your education. If you are a world leader in your field, you might qualify for an O1 visa - we have a couple on this board.
Old Mar 1st 2010, 9:52 pm
Just Joined

What is the job?
Technical Pre Sales Consultant (IT Programming/Developer)
Currently have 4 years relevent work experience

What is your citizenship?
British

What level of education do you have?
Bsc Mathematics & Computer Science (First Class with Honors)

Where were you educated?
Here in England, never lived abroad

Thanks!
Old Mar 1st 2010, 9:54 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

What facts do you need?
An attorney with knowledge of the immigration laws of the United States can set up a suitable question tree to determine what can be done. Quite often this is done via a through written questionnaire. The list you were given was a but a start.
Old Mar 1st 2010, 10:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

You are almost certainly looking at an H1-B visa for which the best (and, with any luck, also the realistic) case is that the company's attorneys get your application in by April 1, you get approved, and can start work October 1.

Since it is now March 1, that is only 7 months and, when it comes to getting US visas, 7 months is not a long time.
Old Mar 1st 2010, 10:47 pm
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065
You are almost certainly looking at an H1-B visa for which the best (and, with any luck, also the realistic) case is that the company's attorneys get your application in by April 1, you get approved, and can start work October 1.

Since it is now March 1, that is only 7 months and, when it comes to getting US visas, 7 months is not a long time.
Note that the prospective employer has the option of premium processing for the H-1B.
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 12:10 am
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

Could I add (unfortunately) there are no gaurantees that the application will be approved. Qualifying for visa is one thing (which you do) but getting the visa is completely different story.

I jumped on to mention this, point being - lead your UK life per normal. H1B is a ramdom approval process and qualified as you are, does not translate to approval.

I am sure, experts would correct me if I am wrong.

Could I add though, I have no intention to sound negative. With 9.5+% unemployment rate - you might get lucky i.e. the 65k applications might take time to be approved as employees will concentrate more on people already in US

Last edited by E3only; Mar 2nd 2010 at 12:13 am.
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 12:53 am
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by E3only
Could I add though, I have no intention to sound negative. With 9.5+% unemployment rate - you might get lucky i.e. the 65k applications might take time to be approved as employees will concentrate more on people already in US
That certainly happened last year: I can't remember how long all 65,000 took to go, but they definitely didn't go on the first day, like previous years.

Also, with the US government cracking down on H-1B fraud from "consulting" firms, the prospects are better this year for genuine applications.
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 1:08 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nettlebed
Note that the prospective employer has the option of premium processing for the H-1B.
Premium processing isn't going to get them there any sooner than October 1, 2010 ...
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 1:09 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065
Premium processing isn't going to get them there any sooner than October 1, 2010 ...
But they can get the denial within 15 days which puts them ahead on the appeal process.
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 1:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by E3only
I jumped on to mention this, point being - lead your UK life per normal. H1B is a ramdom approval process and qualified as you are, does not translate to approval.
Well, nothing is certain until you actually have the visa and are admitted to the US, but I don't agree that the H1B process is "random" - if you are appropriately qualified you shouldn't have too much trouble getting a visa.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.