Job offer in the US but...

Old Jan 25th 2012, 9:43 pm
Just Joined

adzy4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Job offer in the US but...

Recently received a job offer to work in CA however there are many things to consider, so help much needed

- I want my girlfriend of 3.5 years to come, work have said they will take care of us, however under what visa and would she be able to work?

- if not, she would considering studying, but would she be able to work part time?

- marriage is another option although she still wouldnt be able to work as I understand it?

- finally, what moving/set up costs should I be thinking about when discussing final terms with employer?

Sorry for he basic questions, just some real concerns I'm having.

Thanks!
Old Jan 25th 2012, 9:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job offer in the US but...

For her to come with you she will need to get her own visa. Need to be married to go together.

Depending on visa will depend whether she can work or not

Study visa will be very expensive as International fees will be in force and there are restrictions on working especially first year

Concerns to think about is getting GC included by employer agreeing to go this route
Old Jan 25th 2012, 10:02 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by adzy4
- I want my girlfriend of 3.5 years to come, work have said they will take care of us, however under what visa and would she be able to work?
If you are not married, your employer can't help with her visa. If you are currently living together, she can apply for a B-2 cohabitating partner's visitor visa, which usually allows her to stay as a visitor as long as you are there on your work visa (well, the visa should be valid that long, but she will most likely get 6 months - 1 year at a time at the POE). If you haven't been living together, then most likely all she qualifies for is a 90-day VWP visit a couple of times a year.

- if not, she would considering studying, but would she be able to work part time?
Students are VERY limited as to the work they can do. I believe they can't work the first year of study, but after that they can work a maximum of 20 hrs per week at an approved job (probably something on campus).

- marriage is another option although she still wouldnt be able to work as I understand it?
Marriage would be BY FAR the easiest way for her to join you in the USA. Whether she can work or not depends on what kind of visa YOU are getting. From your description that it's a job offer, I assume it's a new employer, and it's an H1B? If that's the case, then she'd get an H4 and you are correct...she will have no trouble accompanying you to live in the USA, but she won't be able to work at all.

- finally, what moving/set up costs should I be thinking about when discussing final terms with employer?
Lots of threads about this in the general USA forum, but for starters, major concerns would be health insurance coverage, repatriation cover, and if you're thinking of getting a green card, get it in writing in the contract, with a firm date the company will apply for it.

Rene
Old Jan 25th 2012, 10:13 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
major concerns would be health insurance coverage, repatriation cover, and if you're thinking of getting a green card, get it in writing in the contract, with a firm date the company will apply for it.
Further to this topic, if your girlfriend comes with you as a visitor, she doesn't get any of those benefits...she will need her own health insurance to cover her in the USA, if you lose your job she will pay her own way back to the UK, and she won't be eligible for a green card.

The only way to get her on board with your company benefits is to be married.

Rene
Old Jan 25th 2012, 10:24 pm
Just Joined

adzy4 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you both - very useful and as I thought!!!
Old Jan 27th 2012, 3:45 pm
Forum Regular

Hovik is just really niceHovik is just really niceHovik is just really niceHovik is just really niceHovik is just really niceHovik is just really niceHovik is just really niceHovik is just really niceHovik is just really nice

Originally Posted by Noorah101
The only way to get her on board with your company benefits is to be married.
Some (a few) companies provide full benefits for OSDPs, but not all will cover the extra taxes incurred. Check with your employer what their policy is.
Old Jan 27th 2012, 5:14 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by adzy4

Have you looked at the wiki at all?

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Compan...on_Packages_US That's a good starting point, but there are a lot of threads on the subject in the main US forum.

Also you never said what visa you are looking for, but if this is a company transfer, it should be quick, if you're a new hire, it'll likely be H1B, which they can't apply for till April and you'd not be able to start work till Oct. That's a long time to keep a position open. The L visa allows spouses to work while the H1 doesn't.
Old Jan 30th 2012, 3:43 pm
Waiting for GC

Linda44 is just really niceLinda44 is just really niceLinda44 is just really niceLinda44 is just really niceLinda44 is just really niceLinda44 is just really niceLinda44 is just really niceLinda44 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bob
Have you looked at the wiki at all?

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Compan...on_Packages_US That's a good starting point, but there are a lot of threads on the subject in the main US forum.

Also you never said what visa you are looking for, but if this is a company transfer, it should be quick, if you're a new hire, it'll likely be H1B, which they can't apply for till April and you'd not be able to start work till Oct. That's a long time to keep a position open. The L visa allows spouses to work while the H1 doesn't.
Not if the employer is affiliated with a US insititute of higher education or research. The they can apply anytime and you can start work anytime.
Old Jan 30th 2012, 3:50 pm
Forum Regular

paulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of light

as to the relocation package, there is a good entry in the wiki here that should give you a good place to start in your research for what to negotiate

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Compan...on_Packages_US

if its the H1B visa and you are a new start at the company, you may find that you cannot get any relocation stuff, it could be that if thats the case, you would need to pay all your own stuff
Old Jan 30th 2012, 4:29 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Linda44
Not if the employer is affiliated with a US insititute of higher education or research. The they can apply anytime and you can start work anytime.
Sure, but not all Uni related non-profit companies qualify either.