Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Job offer and sponsorship - what's next?

Job offer and sponsorship - what's next?

Old Aug 15th 2020, 12:58 pm
Just Joined

kokolino23 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Job offer and sponsorship - what's next?

Hello,
I've got a job offer from a US company willing to sposor me. The trouble is that they insist to apply for a H1B visa and despite pointing out that they're suspended (with relevant links), they say is not ?! They trust their law attorney more than Google and what others immi sites are saying.
As far as I know, H1B visa is like a lottery because the cap is 65k visas and the applications are well in excess of 200k. The applications has to be filled from 1st of April each year and you can only go there next year (if approved!). So even if H1B were not suspended, they couldn't apply for it at this time of the year.
Taxes are also higher for a non immigrant on H1B visa.
I'm married with 2 children so I will then need to apply for a H4 visa for them but my wife won't be allowed to work. A lot of hassle IMO.
By the looks of it, EB visas are not suspended but the law attorney doesn't advice them to approach that route.
The salary is higher than in UK but the taxes and cost of living are also higher (around Philadelphia).
Doesn't look very appealing TBH.
Thank you
Old Aug 15th 2020, 1:02 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Job offer and sponsorship - what's next?

EB is an immigrant visa gets you a Green Card, which then allows you to work anywhere. So not very attractive to an Employer.

Not all H1b's are subject to the cap.

Old Aug 15th 2020, 2:37 pm
Forum Regular

Winston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond repute

With respect to your package being offered, you say the salary is higher, but; take what you make in the UK, multiply it by 1.8 and put a $ in front. If that number is less than the salary you're being offered then it isn't a pay raise.

Good luck with whichever route you choose
Old Aug 15th 2020, 3:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Never heard that someone on an H-1b pays higher taxes.....
Old Aug 15th 2020, 4:51 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kokolino23
The trouble is that they insist to apply for a H1B visa and despite pointing out that they're suspended (with relevant links), they say is not ?! They trust their law attorney more than Google and what others immi sites are saying.
As far as I know, H1B visa is like a lottery because the cap is 65k visas and the applications are well in excess of 200k. The applications has to be filled from 1st of April each year and you can only go there next year (if approved!). So even if H1B were not suspended, they couldn't apply for it at this time of the year.
Maybe that's what they mean - that they're suspended until the end of the year, but they plan to apply under the 2021 quota?

Originally Posted by kokolino23
By the looks of it, EB visas are not suspended but the law attorney doesn't advice them to approach that route.
They are suspended, under the same proclamation that the H1-B's are suspended - https://www.whitehouse.gov/president...irus-outbreak/

HTH and good luck.
​​​​​​​

Old Aug 15th 2020, 5:26 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steveq
Only EB2 and 3 are suspended. EB1 are not.
Are you sure? The only EB's mentioned as exempt in the original proclamation are EB-5's, unless there's been a subsequent update I've missed.

I've just Googled and can't find any mention of them being allowed now, have you got a link?
Old Aug 15th 2020, 6:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Are you sure?
You're right. Corrected.
Old Aug 15th 2020, 8:09 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

You're right. Corrected.
Thank you.
Old Aug 15th 2020, 8:25 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Are you sure? The only EB's mentioned as exempt in the original proclamation are EB-5's, unless there's been a subsequent update I've missed.

I've just Googled and can't find any mention of them being allowed now, have you got a link?
Yes, we had an "extraordinary ability"/ NIW holder here on BE a couple of weeks ago, who was recently recruited as a doctor/ medical professional .... he was banned from BE a couple of days later.

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 15th 2020 at 9:05 pm.
Old Aug 15th 2020, 8:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, H-1Bs are pretty crappy for most of the reasons you mention but are often the only way many get to work in the U.S. and often the only route to permanent residence companies are willing to offer. (Some that are REALLY keen will offer straight-up immigrant sponsorship for a job, but this happens very infrequently.) With any luck, the H-1B situation will be resolved by mid 2021. FWIW the situation is the same with EB permanent visas, no-one can gain entry at the moment.
Old Aug 15th 2020, 9:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Yes, we had an "extraordinary ability"/ NIW holder here on BE a couple of weeks ago, who was recently recruited as a doctor/ medical professional .... he was banned a couple of days later.
Maybe NIW get a pass ? You'd kind of think so
Old Aug 16th 2020, 4:04 am
BE Forum Addict

retzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe NIW get a pass ? You'd kind of think so
Don't jobs related to fighting the pandemic have an exemption? I don't know if that is via the NIW avenue or more generally.
Old Aug 16th 2020, 5:28 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Boiler
EB is an immigrant visa gets you a Green Card, which then allows you to work anywhere. So not very attractive to an Employer.

Thank you for the reply. H1B might not be attractive for the employer but why would be for the employee ?! Tax is higher because is a non immigrant visa and my wife has to apply for H4 visa with no right to work. Fair enough as long as we know from the beginning what to expect. Then we can clearly balance out if the move is worth it.
Cheers
Old Aug 16th 2020, 5:32 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl

Never heard that someone on an H-1b pays higher taxes.....
When I went to a tax calculator, was a drop down box that mentioned non immigrant. H1B visa being a NI one, I presumed the tax is higher because when I chosen that option, the net salary was lower compared to a normal tax.
Old Aug 16th 2020, 5:36 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Boiler

My job is not related to Covid so as far as I'm aware is still suspended.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.