Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Job offer and sponsorship - what's next?

Job offer and sponsorship - what's next?

Old Aug 19th 2020, 2:25 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job offer and sponsorship - what's next?

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Maybe that's what they mean - that they're suspended until the end of the year, but they plan to apply under the 2021 quota?
Confused. I read it as intending to apply under the 2022 allocation.
Old Aug 19th 2020, 2:37 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kokolino23
When I went to a tax calculator, was a drop down box that mentioned non immigrant. H1B visa being a NI one, I presumed the tax is higher because when I chosen that option, the net salary was lower compared to a normal tax.
There is a kernel of truth in that certain, but not all, non-immigrants are exempt from “FICA” taxes. I don’t recall who is and who isn’t. Even if exempt, those taxes tend to get paid inasmuch as the tax enforcement people are hawk eyed for failure by employers to pay payroll withholding.
Old Sep 16th 2020, 10:12 pm
Just Joined

kokolino23 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
If you are already thinking the salary is not very appealing, based, I presume, at looking at cost of living (primarily accommodation/utilities?)in Philadelphia, then you probably should not move.
Moving is extraordinarily expensive, even with a re-location package (have you been offered one of these?)
Apart from cost of living in Philly, have you also factored in health insurance costs?
The US company (and their attorney) finally realized about the visa suspension so everything is on hold ATM. Anyway, they're willing to apply for green card so if we can agree on the salary we would seriously consider the opportunity.
Yes, I already had a look at the cost of living (renting - possibly buying, monthly bills and expenses, insurance, healthcare, etc) so that's why their initial offer is not appealing.
The job was advertised with a relocation package but I didn't mention it to them yet because of the visa & salary uncertainty.
Thanks for your reply.
Old Sep 16th 2020, 10:15 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Either you're missing something, or I am. Visa status and right to work has no impact on taxes AFAIK.

In fact if your wife isn't working , and you file taxes jointly, you'll get all her standard deduction (allowance) and lower tax bands because filing your US tax return jointly with your spouse doubles the deduction and all the tax bands.
You know better than me, that's for sure. However, she would rather work than gaining the deduction on the tax band as a family.
Old Sep 16th 2020, 10:17 pm
Just Joined

Thanks a lot for all your replies, the whole situation is on hold because of the visa suspension.
I'll update the thread when something changes and I know more.
Old Sep 16th 2020, 10:27 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by tht
You said:

”Note that if your proposed salary is lower than market, the H-1B may be the ONLY visa your employer can use without paying you more.”

The L1 has no salary floor, effectively it’s whatever the local minimum wage is.... that said good luck getting one approved without a decent salary these days.
The salary is higher than $60k/year anyway but as I said before, I have to consider a lot of other things.
Most probably I'll come back here with an update because all your replies were really helpful (thanks again!).
Old Sep 17th 2020, 8:09 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks a lot for all your replies, the whole situation is on hold because of the visa suspension.
Exemptions were added to that about a month ago - https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...-recovery.html

Just thought I'd mention it in case you come under any of the exemptions?

The salary is higher than $60k/year anyway
I hope it's considerably more than $60k for a family of 4 of you!

Best of luck, hope you can get out there at some point.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Sep 17th 2020 at 10:02 am.
Old Sep 18th 2020, 3:35 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Off topic posts re cost of living moved to a separate thread in the US forum...

https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-...thread-934898/
Old Oct 1st 2020, 11:04 pm
Just Joined

Exemptions were added to that about a month ago - https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...-recovery.html

Just thought I'd mention it in case you come under any of the exemptions?

I hope it's considerably more than $60k for a family of 4 of you!

Best of luck, hope you can get out there at some point.
Thanks, H1-B could well be an exception but I've already said I'm not willing to follow this route.
Old Oct 2nd 2020, 9:38 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, H1-B could well be an exception but I've already said I'm not willing to follow this route.
But now that the 'national interest' has been clarified further, if you came under one of those exemptions you could apply it to an immigrant visa application, which I thought was an option?
Old Oct 26th 2020, 11:15 pm
Just Joined

But now that the 'national interest' has been clarified further, if you came under one of those exemptions you could apply it to an immigrant visa application, which I thought was an option?
Is certainly an option but after 3 years on H1-B I think.
Old Oct 27th 2020, 12:58 am
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute

If you fit the immigrant criteria for "National Interest" and have all the relevant other qualifying matter, you could potentially self-sponsor for an immigrant visa. Look up EB-2 NIW.
Old Oct 27th 2020, 7:14 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Is certainly an option but after 3 years on H1-B I think.
There’s no requirement to have worked in the US for any length of time first? For some EB routes you don’t even need a job offer.

Or do you mean the company have changed their mind and won’t sponsor you for a green card until you’ve done 3 years first?

Last edited by christmasoompa; Oct 27th 2020 at 7:17 am.