Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Job offer and sponsorship - what's next?

Job offer and sponsorship - what's next?

Old Aug 16th 2020, 5:54 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Job offer and sponsorship - what's next?

Originally Posted by kokolino23
Thank you for the reply. H1B might not be attractive for the employer but why would be for the employee ?! Tax is higher because is a non immigrant visa and my wife has to apply for H4 visa with no right to work. Fair enough as long as we know from the beginning what to expect. Then we can clearly balance out if the move is worth it.
Cheers
Because generally the Employer has control not the Employee, now if they are desperate to get you that would be different.
Old Aug 16th 2020, 5:59 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

..... Tax is higher because is a non immigrant visa and my wife has to apply for H4 visa with no right to work. ....
Either you're missing something, or I am. Visa status and right to work has no impact on taxes AFAIK.

In fact if your wife isn't working , and you file taxes jointly, you'll get all her standard deduction (allowance) and lower tax bands because filing your US tax return jointly with your spouse doubles the deduction and all the tax bands.
Old Aug 16th 2020, 6:35 pm
Just Joined

kokolino23 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Maybe that's what they mean - that they're suspended until the end of the year, but they plan to apply under the 2021 quota?

They are suspended, under the same proclamation that the H1-B's are suspended - https://www.whitehouse.gov/president...irus-outbreak/

HTH and good luck.
EB visas are not mentioned there at all, only H-1B, H-2B, L and J visas.
Old Aug 16th 2020, 6:41 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

EB visas are not mentioned there at all, only H-1B, H-2B, L and J visas.
They are, in the second paragraph - it extends the original April proclamation suspending new EB immigrant visa applications until the end of the year.

HTH.
Old Aug 16th 2020, 6:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,

By the looks of it, EB visas are not suspended but the law attorney doesn't advice them to approach that route.

Thank you
If the company's lawyers are not advising sponsoring an EB visa then, unless you can persuade them to do so, no point in pursuing this route...... the lawyers do what is beneficial for the employer, not you.
Old Aug 16th 2020, 9:13 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
If the company's lawyers are not advising sponsoring an EB visa then, unless you can persuade them to do so, no point in pursuing this route...... the lawyers do what is beneficial for the employer, not you.
That's absolutely understandable and fair, they're paying the attorney & visa fees plus they'll pay me as well. I'm not arguing with that at all.
However, we're not willing to turn our lives around and cross the pond with a visa that won't allow my wife to work. Would be unfair for her and not beneficial for our family at all.
H-1B is a non immigration visa as far as I'm aware.
Old Aug 16th 2020, 9:28 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Boiler
Because generally the Employer has control not the Employee, now if they are desperate to get you that would be different.
I agree with you, at the end of the day the Employer pays the attorney, visa fees & my wages.
However, we're not desperate to go and I'm trying to collect as much info as we can before rushing into a decision or signing a contract. My wife would be a H-1B dependant therefore we can apply for a H4 visa and she won't be allowed to work. If that's the case then we'd rather stay in the UK where we have a very strong position both social and financial.
Old Aug 16th 2020, 9:32 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree with you, at the end of the day the Employer pays the attorney, visa fees & my wages.
However, we're not desperate to go and I'm trying to collect as much info as we can before rushing into a decision or signing a contract. My wife would be a H-1B dependant therefore we can apply for a H4 visa and she won't be allowed to work. If that's the case then we'd rather stay in the UK where we have a very strong position both social and financial.
Great.
Then tell the potential Employer Immigrant Visa or you are not interested.
Old Aug 17th 2020, 12:31 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Given the current stalled visa application process, is there a UK payroll they can put you on for 12 months? Then you may be L-1A (or B) eligible, and your wife could work on her L-2, after obtaining an EAD.
Old Aug 17th 2020, 9:11 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Given the current stalled visa application process, is there a UK payroll they can put you on for 12 months? Then you may be L-1A (or B) eligible, and your wife could work on her L-2, after obtaining an EAD.
Thank you very much indeed for your reply but unfortunately that's not an option because the US company doesn't have any UK related business.
Old Aug 18th 2020, 3:06 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

A couple of things...

On an H visa, IRS typically considers you resident for tax payment, therefore your taxes are not higher.

If you are a strong candidate, you might ask about an O-1 visa, which is not subject to caps. Your wife would still be unable to work.

Most employers are reluctant to use the EB route for people they don’t already have a relationship with, because of the reasons already stated. Some of those visas can take a really long time too.

You should get it written into your contract that the company will apply for a green card for you x amount of time after you start.

Note that if your proposed salary is lower than market, the H-1B may be the ONLY visa your employer can use without paying you more.
Old Aug 18th 2020, 3:21 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
A couple of things...

On an H visa, IRS typically considers you resident for tax payment, therefore your taxes are not higher.

If you are a strong candidate, you might ask about an O-1 visa, which is not subject to caps. Your wife would still be unable to work.

Most employers are reluctant to use the EB route for people they don’t already have a relationship with, because of the reasons already stated. Some of those visas can take a really long time too.

You should get it written into your contract that the company will apply for a green card for you x amount of time after you start.

Note that if your proposed salary is lower than market, the H-1B may be the ONLY visa your employer can use without paying you more.
Have you got this the wrong way around... I remember a prevailing wage when filling H1b applications, but not on the L1....

https://www.dol.gov/agencies/eta/for...revailing-wage

Last edited by tht; Aug 18th 2020 at 3:24 pm.
Old Aug 18th 2020, 10:59 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tht
Have you got this the wrong way around... I remember a prevailing wage when filling H1b applications, but not on the L1....

https://www.dol.gov/agencies/eta/for...revailing-wage
I deliberately ignored the L1 as the OP said they had no operations in the UK.

On the H-1B, if the employee has a masters in a relevant field, or is paid at least $60k per year, the employer does not need to demonstrate prevailing wage. This is a big part of reason for the existence of the IT outsourcing firms.
Old Aug 19th 2020, 12:05 am
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
I deliberately ignored the L1 as the OP said they had no operations in the UK.

On the H-1B, if the employee has a masters in a relevant field, or is paid at least $60k per year, the employer does not need to demonstrate prevailing wage. This is a big part of reason for the existence of the IT outsourcing firms.
You said:

”Note that if your proposed salary is lower than market, the H-1B may be the ONLY visa your employer can use without paying you more.”

The L1 has no salary floor, effectively it’s whatever the local minimum wage is.... that said good luck getting one approved without a decent salary these days.
Old Aug 19th 2020, 12:23 am
Powder Maggot

Originally Posted by tht
You said:

”Note that if your proposed salary is lower than market, the H-1B may be the ONLY visa your employer can use without paying you more.”

The L1 has no salary floor, effectively it’s whatever the local minimum wage is.... that said good luck getting one approved without a decent salary these days.
Yeah, well, I didn’t pay for the full half hour.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.