Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Job Offer In San Fran - Looking For Help On Moving With Partner

Job Offer In San Fran - Looking For Help On Moving With Partner

Old Feb 5th 2020, 9:45 pm
Just Joined

Seedbird is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Job Offer In San Fran - Looking For Help On Moving With Partner

Hi All,

I'm new here so go easy on me. I've been doing a bit of back ground reading and looking for some advice on what you guys think will be best for my situation. So a bit of background info :

I've recently been offered a job in San Francisco, pending my visa etc. and I plan to make the move in May. I'll be getting an E2 visa. My partner however, doesn't have a job lined up. She's a science high school teacher (7 years experience & worked in international school in Dubai) and would hopefully look for a job to start in September. It's looking fairly unlikely that she's going to be able to secure a job due to the competitiveness.

Do any of you have any experience from being in a similar situation? We're thinking that we may just have a small marriage at the registry office so that she can come with me on my visa however that's not our first choice, we're quite traditional with the idea of marriage. I would appreciate any advice you guys have or similar situations you've been in and progressed.

Thanks in advance.
Old Feb 5th 2020, 9:59 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job Offer In San Fran - Looking For Help On Moving With Partner

It'a highly unlikely that a teacher would be able to get a visa, and there is NO chance of her coming with you on your visa unless you are married. Even if she did find a job she could apply for, the closing date for H1-B applications is April for a start date of October, providing she was lucky in winning in the lottery for visas, and that's around 40%. There is only one realistic way, and that is for you to get married.
Old Feb 5th 2020, 10:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

She either gets a work visa based on her own work experience OR you get married and she gets a visa based on yours.

With the E2 dependent visa, once in the US, she then obtains an Employment Authorisation Document and would be able to work. Seems like you have already done some research into a teaching job. Being in the US and looking for such a role would make it easier.
Old Feb 5th 2020, 10:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

You're traditional about marriage, but ok with shacking up together? Anyway, are you making an investment? I don't see any mention of that, but I thought that was a requirement of E2.
Old Feb 5th 2020, 10:38 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

E2 Employee presumably

She could get a B2 Cohabitating but that means no work.

Even if you got married most unlikely she would be work authorised by September.
Old Feb 6th 2020, 9:08 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the helpful (and even non-helpful) feedback. You guys have reinforced everything we've read and it is all pointing to marriage. There's no rush to get her working once the process has started. We both have savings and even if she has to stay in the UK for x number of months to get everything sorted, we're planning on being here for the long haul.

Do any of you have any advice for people going through this process as it would be much appreciated!

Thanks
Old Feb 6th 2020, 10:17 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
It'a highly unlikely that a teacher would be able to get a visa, and there is NO chance of her coming with you on your visa unless you are married. Even if she did find a job she could apply for, the closing date for H1-B applications is April for a start date of October, providing she was lucky in winning in the lottery for visas, and that's around 40%. .....
An H-1B for an educational institution would be uncapped, so not subject to the lottery and timing issues usually associated with this visa type.
Old Feb 6th 2020, 10:20 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tom169
.... Anyway, are you making an investment? I don't see any mention of that, but I thought that was a requirement of E2.
As Boiler said, a treaty investor visa is possible so long as there is a trade treaty with the country where the employer us based, AND the employee has a passport from the same country. British & British works.
Old Feb 6th 2020, 12:02 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pulaski
As Boiler said, a treaty investor visa is possible so long as there is a trade treaty with the country where the employer us based, AND the employee has a passport from the same country. British & British works.
Yep - I'd be working for a British company out there.
Old Feb 6th 2020, 5:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

sherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond repute

You'll need to get married. Also, there's a shortage of teachers in the Bay Area because the cost of living is so high and the teaching salaries so low that they can't find staff. So she would likely be able to find a teaching job once she had an EAD and could work.
Old Feb 6th 2020, 6:07 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sherbert
You'll need to get married. Also, there's a shortage of teachers in the Bay Area because the cost of living is so high and the teaching salaries so low that they can't find staff. So she would likely be able to find a teaching job once she had an EAD and could work.
Would they fudge the lack of US Qualification because of this?
Old Feb 6th 2020, 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler
Would they fudge the lack of US Qualification because of this?
I heard recently that school districts in CA are hiring in the Philippines to fill vacancies. Draw your own conclusion as to how that relates to your question.
Old Feb 6th 2020, 7:31 pm
Forum Regular

pejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seedbird
Yep - I'd be working for a British company out there.
Make sure the salary is good. I looked at a move to SF from Colorado recently, and it really is outrageously expensive. There was a recent thread with someone who had been offered a move to NYC with a British company, but with a laughably bad salary, so make sure you're going to be paid enough to actually live there and enjoy it.
Old Feb 6th 2020, 7:36 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by pejp
Make sure the salary is good. I looked at a move to SF from Colorado recently, and it really is outrageously expensive. There was a recent thread with someone who had been offered a move to NYC with a British company, but with a laughably bad salary, so make sure you're going to be paid enough to actually live there and enjoy it.
Thanks for the advice. The salary is very good, although Ill be spending around 35% of my salary on rent after tax for a 1 bed apartment in the city! It's shocked me.
Old Feb 6th 2020, 11:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seedbird
Thanks for the advice. The salary is very good, although Ill be spending around 35% of my salary on rent after tax for a 1 bed apartment in the city! It's shocked me.
May want to reconsider then or ask for more money. 35% is over 10% too much in my opinion.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.