Job hunting makes me unhappy

Old Jan 30th 2008, 9:46 pm
Has finally moved to NY

soon_to_Move is just really nicesoon_to_Move is just really nicesoon_to_Move is just really nicesoon_to_Move is just really nicesoon_to_Move is just really nicesoon_to_Move is just really nicesoon_to_Move is just really nicesoon_to_Move is just really nice
Default Job hunting makes me unhappy

Hi,

My husband is L1 and I am L2.

I am waiting on my Employment authorisation card. I still have a couple of months till i get it but I thought in the mean time I would start having a look for things and there is bugger all out there. It makes me really unhappy with being here. I know I can't apply for anything yet so I shouldn't be worrying so much but its really depressing. Everything else about the move is great, we are exploring loads and trying to make friends but after I do a stint at the computer I feel so low.

I'm just hoping that when the time comes that I can officially apply for things there is something out there for me

Sorry for the whinge. I have just got off another job site!
Old Jan 30th 2008, 9:49 pm
Account Closed

kingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura aboutkingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura aboutkingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura about
Smile Re: Job hunting makes me unhappy

[quoteJob hunting makes me unhappy [/quote]

Welcome to my world. 200 applications and still trying... This may force us to move to a new city soon..
Old Jan 30th 2008, 9:50 pm
Has finally moved to NY

soon_to_Move is just really nicesoon_to_Move is just really nicesoon_to_Move is just really nicesoon_to_Move is just really nicesoon_to_Move is just really nicesoon_to_Move is just really nicesoon_to_Move is just really nicesoon_to_Move is just really nice
Default Re: Job hunting makes me unhappy

blimey-really? how long have you been looking for?
Old Jan 30th 2008, 9:54 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Goodluck

What sort of work you looking for? networking is the best way, but also craigslist and the other numerous job sites. Facebook is also quite good for searching for local things as well as the local library...and there's always volunteering stuff going on
Old Jan 30th 2008, 11:18 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: Job hunting makes me unhappy

Originally Posted by soon_to_Move
Hi,

I am waiting on my Employment authorisation card. I still have a couple of months till i get it but I thought in the mean time I would start having a look for things and there is bugger all out there. It makes me really unhappy with being here. I know I can't apply for anything yet so I shouldn't be worrying so much but its really depressing. Everything else about the move is great, we are exploring loads and trying to make friends but after I do a stint at the computer I feel so low.

I'm just hoping that when the time comes that I can officially apply for things there is something out there for me

Just wait until you get an interview and find out just how little annual leave you're likely to get - that's if you get any annual leave at all in your first year.....

Are you in NYC? I would have thought that there would be plenty of jobs there, unless of course you are upstate and in a more remote area.
Old Jan 31st 2008, 12:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Philgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond repute

Bob is right - far more jobs are filled through networking than from replies sent to Help Wanted ads (or their web equivalents). You need to get out and make contacts that can help you find opportunities in the field that you want to find work in.

If you give us more of an idea of what kind of job you want we may be able to help you with ideas for breaking into the circles you need to be networking with. Don't get down about it - it's just a matter of making enough contacts, getting known and playing the self-promotion game. You can start to do it anywhere (meeting the neighbors, kids school events etc) but with a little pre-planning you can make it much more effective by finding ways to mix with the right people to help you out.
Old Jan 31st 2008, 9:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Its a very tough market at the mo - and its true what the others say. I've realistically been job hunting for the best part of 3 years now - its not that I've been unemployed during that time - Had a full time job at first, now I'm currently self employed - its just that I've found it incredibly hard to find a "good fit" job.

Add to that the complete and utter rudeness of the average American employers during the hiring process (who love to not return phone calls/emails when they said they would, and like to leave you hanging indefinately), combined with their persistent advertising of positions that do not exist, or trying to lowball your worth, theres no doubt about it that its tough.

One thing you might try is to really think outside the box - my first job I had here (was there 2 years) had nothing to do with my previous work. Since I've been self employed, things have been better workwise, but its still not my ideal solution.

Theres a book called "What Colour is your Parachute" - I'd recommend reading it, its got some pretty useful info.

Good luck!

Last edited by Dan725; Jan 31st 2008 at 9:45 am.
Old Jan 31st 2008, 11:14 am
Guttural Brumerican

Titchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dan725

Theres a book called "What Colour is your Parachute" - I'd recommend reading it, its got some pretty useful info.

Good luck!
Brown - it opened upside-down
Old Jan 31st 2008, 12:52 pm
Has finally moved to NY

Thanks for your replies everyone. I must admit I have really only been looking for a job that is similar to what i did in the UK so perhaps I should think about broadening my horizons. I have seen a couple which look quite exciting so will have a stab at those and see what comes of it.
Old Jan 31st 2008, 1:22 pm
Militant Ginger

Roland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond repute

When I first arrived, I signed up with some temp agencies and got a lot tempt jobs very quickly - one of them offered me a well paid full time position.

I applied for about 20 jobs and didn't hear anything back from most of them.

Ironically my current job was the first one I applied for. Six weeks later (I'd dismissed them by that point) I got a call back.

Been here four months now.

Keep plugging away. You'll get there. But DO sign up to temp agencies and employment agencies because the temp gigs are a good source of money and a good way to 'get your feet wet' in the American working environment.
Old Jan 31st 2008, 1:24 pm
Last orders please...

lisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Roland Hulme
When I first arrived, I signed up with some temp agencies and got a lot tempt jobs very quickly - one of them offered me a well paid full time position.

I applied for about 20 jobs and didn't hear anything back from most of them.

Ironically my current job was the first one I applied for. Six weeks later (I'd dismissed them by that point) I got a call back.

Been here four months now.

Keep plugging away. You'll get there. But DO sign up to temp agencies and employment agencies because the temp gigs are a good source of money and a good way to 'get your feet wet' in the American working environment.

Are the temp agencies any good here?
Old Jan 31st 2008, 1:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

basementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by soon_to_Move
Hi,

10 months here... no propper job... started my own business cos i was fed up applying for jobs.
I went to college in the UK, but not uni...... so no one offering half decent jobs would employ me...
Old Jan 31st 2008, 1:40 pm
Militant Ginger

Roland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dan725
Add to that the complete and utter rudeness of the average American employers during the hiring process (who love to not return phone calls/emails when they said they would,
I've been annoyed at this too - but, to be fair, it was exactly the same in England.

Originally Posted by lisag8070
Are the temp agencies any good here?
My wife says no, I say yes. They found me a job the morning I signed up, which I worked at for two and a half months.

My wife had slightly higher standards. She didn't want to do this and didn't want to do that, so she was disappointed when they could find her a good match.

I didn't care as long as there was a steady paycheque involved.

So as long as you keep your expectations realistic, they're good.
Old Jan 31st 2008, 1:44 pm
Has finally moved to NY

Some of the permenant jobs i've seen if you went to a foreign uni want you to have your degree's evaluated. I have both a BSc and MSc. Does anyone know whow much this costs to do? I was always under the impression that the UK education system was thought of as being a year ahead in terms of taught component.

I think you are right, temping will be the way to go and maybe once i get my foot in the door things will get easier.

Here's hoping. Just doing my resume-it kills me to change the 's' to 'z'!
Old Jan 31st 2008, 1:47 pm
Last orders please...

lisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond repute

My wife says no, I say yes. They found me a job the morning I signed up, which I worked at for two and a half months.

My wife had slightly higher standards. She didn't want to do this and didn't want to do that, so she was disappointed when they could find her a good match.

I didn't care as long as there was a steady paycheque involved.

So as long as you keep your expectations realistic, they're good.[/QUOTE]

I'm with you on that one....as long as theres a steady paycheque coming in I wouln't care either....even if it meant cleaning toilets...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.