British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/)
-   -   Job change between L1A and Green Card? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/job-change-between-l1a-green-card-716613/)

Lazzza May 11th 2011 1:38 pm

Job change between L1A and Green Card?

First of all, I have asked this question of my attorney - she hasn't come back to me yet.

Second, I have looked in previous posts and I cannot see this specifically.

My OH came here as an L1A last year. We applied for green cards, advance parole and also EADs. We all received our EADs in February 2011.

As far as the green card process is concerned, we have done our biometrics and USCIS has asked questions of my OH employer: qualfications of those he manages etc. This suggests it is being dealt with.

My question is whether or not it is possible for my OH to change his job whilst he is in this limbo position of being between L1a and green card?

I would add that he is very loyal to them but the fact is they are making drastic cut backs - not his department yet - but you never know.

He has been approached by a headhunter re a really great position with a great company but does not know if he could even consider this at this stage.

He has no tie in time on his relo agreement.

Any thoughts, or has anyone been in this situation before?

If there were no cut backs going on this would not even be an issue. My OH has had 2 jobs in his life - so this is a huge deal for him!

S Folinsky May 11th 2011 1:46 pm

Re: Job change between L1A and Green Card?

Originally Posted by Lazzza (Post 9357496)
First of all, I have asked this question of my attorney - she hasn't come back to me yet.

Second, I have looked in previous posts and I cannot see this specifically.

My OH came here as an L1A last year. We applied for green cards, advance parole and also EADs. We all received our EADs in February 2011.

As far as the green card process is concerned, we have done our biometrics and USCIS has asked questions of my OH employer: qualfications of those he manages etc. This suggests it is being dealt with.

My question is whether or not it is possible for my OH to change his job whilst he is in this limbo position of being between L1a and green card?

I would add that he is very loyal to them but the fact is they are making drastic cut backs - not his department yet - but you never know.

He has been approached by a headhunter re a really great position with a great company but does not know if he could even consider this at this stage.

He has no tie in time on his relo agreement.

Any thoughts, or has anyone been in this situation before?

If there were no cut backs going on this would not even be an issue. My OH has had 2 jobs in his life - so this is a huge deal for him!

Excellent questions. Way beyond the scope of this forum. Fortunately, you are in the Fifth Circuit rather than the 9th Circuit where I am located.

ian-mstm May 11th 2011 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by Lazzza (Post 9357496)

If he has an EAD, he's eligible to work for whomever he wants. By the same token, as soon as his L-1A sponsor gets wind of this, they will likely cancel the entire GC process - which would then invalidate both his EAD and yours... and then you'd really be having a bad day!

I will note that your OH is not really in limbo... his L-1A is valid and he's still working.

Ian

goldenstate31 May 11th 2011 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by S Folinsky (Post 9357512)
Excellent questions. Way beyond the scope of this forum. Fortunately, you are in the Fifth Circuit rather than the 9th Circuit where I am located.

:blink::)

goldenstate31 May 11th 2011 3:49 pm

i would hang on (me personally) i wouldnt want to jeopardise my chances of green card:)

Lazzza May 11th 2011 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by goldenstate31 (Post 9357863)
:blink::)

My thoughts exactly! Sometimes, I wonder if it's just me!